"Tall Can" the Sprinter Build

keepmoving

you used .120" wall tubing on that? thats gotta have some HEFT.

There is about 60' of tube in the seat. 1.44lbs/ft on the 1x1x.120 tube. It weighs about 90 pounds all said and done. The stock seats weigh just about the same and they were removed. I want something that is strong for passenger safety.

- albertr

The solar panel was purchased direct from REC solar. A 310 watt panel. I don't have a part number on it.

I've been working on a battery box for under the rear of the van lately. Almost ready to snap some photos.

keepmoving

Updates

I switched gears the past few days, I need to sleep in the van next weekend. The bench seat and platform bed is now in place. The bench is bolted in 6 places through the floor. The platform bed is make from 2" angle iron and 1x1 square tube. It bolts the the back of the bench and the floor at the rear. Ikea bed slats http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80278715/ fit snugly into the frame with a 4" topper is up top. I will attach panels to the frame to keep blankets and items from falling through the sides into the storage area.

Temporary bike mounts for now.

5 Ikea storage bins happen to fit perfectly under the seat.

keepmoving

Rear Camera

I got a back up camera for Christmas. I decided it was time to get it mounted since the rear windows are now limited by the bed platform. It is from Costco. It is wireless. Just had to tie into the backup lights and a switched power source up front. The suction mount failed after a few hours. I decided to use double sided tape and attach it to the mirror instead. It is holding in place and works great at night. I will probably re-do the rear mount later, but it works for me now. I sealed the rear lens with silicone.

keepmoving

We bought some black out curtains from Target for $9 each. Used some 1/2" conduit and clamps for the rod. Simple way to close off the front of the van. We are trying to figure out how we are going to do the rest of the windows. I think we are going to make panels with snaps to achieve the look we want.

keepmoving

Sprinter lift kit

Tall Can grew up!

My business partners and I decided to make parts for Sprinters. We have been in the Jeep market for 8 years and noticed there was really no offerings for bolt on Sprinter lift kits. We have tested the kit over the past few months on our 118" van. Is is working great. We just got the final kit dialed in this past week and installed on Tall Can. I went from 225/75R to 265/75R General Grabbers. They measure out to about 32 x 10.5" I had to trim the bumper and just a little out of the front fender pinch seam to get the tires to clear. I really like the stance of the van. The kit is called the Scout 2" lift from vancompass.com it will be available for 94-2006 Sprinters in about two weeks. We are also making skid plates to cover the oil pan, transmission and gas tank for all North American Sprinters. Next mod for Tall Can is getting 3 100AH batteries mounted behind the rear axle.

Last edited:

GR8ADV

Explorer
This is wonderful and thank you for taking the time to post for us all. I have been thinking recently that a sprinter may be a perfect replacement to a DD SUV for us. Two rows of seats, built in bike racks, ski holders, a way to keep the dogs in the back, and maybe a textured floor condusive to facilitate hosing out.
I am always impressed with the level of skill and ability of folks on the Forum. Keep up the great work.

montanawild

I camped this fall in a great spot just south of Half-Moon Bay. Met a really nice couple in a Sprinter almost identical to my 2015. I look forward to seeing your progress.

keepmoving

Solar hooked up

Solar and Alternator charging system hooked up. The van had the aux. battery charging system from the factory. I added a blue sea switch to extend the wires back to the battery bank and give me the option of shutting it off. Midnight Solar "the kid" MPPT charge controller with battery temperature compensation and load monitoring is used to control the panel. Things seem to be working great so far. 150W and 10.4 Amps charging at 10am this morning.

Last edited:

keepmoving

Last edited:

keepmoving

Update. I worked on getting the wiring cleaned up before I build out my kitchen area.

I built wire and water hose covers from 2x2" and 1.5x1.5" aluminum angle. Cut down some cheap louver plates to cover the rear heater holes. Attached and wired the power inverter to run the microwave and charge a/c items. It is a modified sine wave unit. I don't plan on using an induction cook top or using the microwave much so I should be fine. I ran my water hose for the sink from the back of van to the front and two power wires for the pump and something I'm probably forgetting. All my lights, fan and 12V sockets are hooked up to the blue sea fuse panel. Everything will be hidden by my kitchenette.

Link to power inverter. I am going to run a remote switch to turn it off an on.
https://jet.com/product/detail/627b9...FUc2gQod1u4EOw

Last edited:

keepmoving

Fox Shocks

We are close on the front and rear Fox Racing shock kit for the T1Ns. We are working on the specific valve tunes over the next few weeks. I am very impressed with the improvement over stock. The van does not blow through all the travel when going over road dips and they help control the side to side whiplash when driving over staggered dips like driveway entrances or drainage ditches. Hope to do some washboard dirt road testing soon. These specific shocks have compression adjuster clickers. I was surprised how much of a difference they really make between the 8 settings. We are trying to find a tune that allows for a compliant, plush ride while on road unloaded. You can then crank up the compression when heavy loads are in the van or while offroad.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan