Tall person looking for RTT recommendations

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
Looking to build up my 06 Duramax as an Overland rig. I’m 6’5 275lbs and not sure what way to go as far as a Rooftop Tent. I’m 51 so I’d like some room to get in and out and possibly kneel up i side if needed. I have zero experience with the Clamshell style rooftop tents but I like their ease of setup and take down. But not sure how comfortable they would be for me at my height. They all look pretty short to me lengthwise to me. I’d be sleeping 2 people. Both my wife and I. She’s much smaller at 5’3 and 125lbs.

So for those of you experienced with both the Clamshell style or the fold out style what are your thoughts and opinions? I’ve been kinda spoiled in my Kodiak Ground tent but just looking to get off the ground and faster setup and take down. I’m most likely going to buy used as the new prices are pretty high. From what I’m seeing the Clamshell style seem to be about double the price and don’t look as comfortable or large.

What are your thoughts? What are some good ones to look at for big and tall people? Thanks.

Pic of my truck I wanna build up. Starting work on the roof rack now.

Attachments

• IMG_1864.jpeg
    IMG_1864.jpeg
    471.5 KB · Views: 4

crazysccrmd

Observer
It’s pretty straightforward to look at the manufacturer specs and see if the length is greater than 6’5” with enough height to kneel in. There are a lot of options that meet both those criteria. I’d still recommend sticking with your ground tent as you won’t find that much time savings with a RTT you have to setup and collapse every time you want to drive anywhere.

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
It’s pretty straightforward to look at the manufacturer specs and see if the length is greater than 6’5” with enough height to kneel in. There are a lot of options that meet both those criteria. I’d still recommend sticking with your ground tent as you won’t find that much time savings with a RTT you have to setup and collapse every time you want to drive anywhere.

I’m not afraid to do some research but was just hoping maybe I’d get a few big and tall guys letting me know what has worked for them. There are probably over 100 companies making RTT’s anymore. Hoping to get a few replies of some that people have used with good or bad results.
I understand your point on the ground tent. Very valid for sure. But Id like to give the RTT a try and see how I like it. I like the thought of being off the ground in some of the places I camp. Other than having to go to the bathroom during the night.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
You are right, at 6' 5" length is going to be an issue. If you are looking at clamshell tents then I have to ask if you sleep on your side? If you sleep on your back then your toes will touch the roof on the narrow end which might be quite annoying. There are some longer tents that will work but they are rare and you will probably have to go new.

There is lots of information in these pages to help you choose a good one. A couple things to consider, they don't replace your ground tent, they are a specialty tent, many designed for harsh conditions and places where a ground tent just wouldn't work well. I like to tell folks to think of them like buying a sleeping bag, bigger isn't necessarily better, smaller has a lot going for it. You may change vehicles but the type of travel you do probably will not change so you may have it a very long time. If you are going to be out for any length of time, go up a size. Roof tents are sized like mountaineering tents. Be kind to your spouse, get one that she feels comfortable with. My wife wanted one with more height, easier to put on clothes. My first tent was really small, designed for really cold climates, she was OK but didn't prefer it.

You are right that you can many times find an excellent expedition tent used. There is a lot that goes into designing and building roof tents and a well made one will last a very long time. Some of the old ones are excellent values. There have been a lot of roof tent builders but you should be a little careful, if you can buy a new generic tent for the same price as a used tent from and established brand, there may be a reason.

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
You are right, at 6' 5" length is going to be an issue. If you are looking at clamshell tents then I have to ask if you sleep on your side? If you sleep on your back then your toes will touch the roof on the narrow end which might be quite annoying. There are some longer tents that will work but they are rare and you will probably have to go new.

There is lots of information in these pages to help you choose a good one. A couple things to consider, they don't replace your ground tent, they are a specialty tent, many designed for harsh conditions and places where a ground tent just wouldn't work well. I like to tell folks to think of them like buying a sleeping bag, bigger isn't necessarily better, smaller has a lot going for it. You may change vehicles but the type of travel you do probably will not change so you may have it a very long time. If you are going to be out for any length of time, go up a size. Roof tents are sized like mountaineering tents. Be kind to your spouse, get one that she feels comfortable with. My wife wanted one with more height, easier to put on clothes. My first tent was really small, designed for really cold climates, she was OK but didn't prefer it.

You are right that you can many times find an excellent expedition tent used. There is a lot that goes into designing and building roof tents and a well made one will last a very long time. Some of the old ones are excellent values. There have been a lot of roof tent builders but you should be a little careful, if you can buy a new generic tent for the same price as a used tent from and established brand, there may be a reason.
What tent are you using now that your wife likes? I was thinking about the Smittybilt Overland XL Gen 2 but nit sure on the quality. Watched a few YouTube videos on them and they seem to get decent reviews just not sure on their overall longevity and quality.
Any particular brand an models,you can think of that are a little on the larger side?

Also I typically sleep on my side although I do find myself waking up on my back once in awhile. So I understand what you’re saying about length of a clamshell. That was one of my main worries.

Thanks for you’re reply.

JackW

Explorer
Take a good look at the Terrapod clamshell roof top tent - made in Gainesville, Georgia by a friend of mine who had the same problem as you. Chad is 6'7" and couldn't find a roof tent big enough for him so he decided to build one. Since he's an industrial designer that used to work at Boeing he is familiar with materials and processes used in building aircraft. He was wanting strength, light weight and low profile which he has achieved in his design. He built a few prototypes for extensive field testing and then designed and ordered a set of custom aluminum extrusions for the frame. He is using a 1" thick composite panels for the top and bottom panels and the same kind of adhesive sealant we used to build F-22 fighters.

I noticed he was using modular design for his tent which meant with a very few changes he could alter the width of the tent and offer a narrower version for someone like me that only needs a single width roof tent and would like to have a narrower tent to reclaim some space on the roof rack for other "stuff". After much begging on my part, a contribution to his Kickstarter campaign, and (most importantly) somebody else asking for the same thing, Chad decided to build a couple SOLO tents for the two of us. He says it taps into a hole in the market that nobody else was addressing and it's been surprisingly popular.

But it's a great design, crafted with care by a nice guy with a real talent for design and it's one of the lightest and lowest profile roof tents on the market and one of very few designed with oversize humans in mind.

www.terrapod.com

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
Take a good look at the Terrapod clamshell roof top tent - made in Gainesville, Georgia by a friend of mine who had the same problem as you. Chad is 6'7" and couldn't find a roof tent big enough for him so he decided to build one. Since he's an industrial designer that used to work at Boeing he is familiar with materials and processes used in building aircraft. He was wanting strength, light weight and low profile which he has achieved in his design. He built a few prototypes for extensive field testing and then designed and ordered a set of custom aluminum extrusions for the frame. He is using a 1" thick composite panels for the top and bottom panels and the same kind of adhesive sealant we used to build F-22 fighters.

I noticed he was using modular design for his tent which meant with a very few changes he could alter the width of the tent and offer a narrower version for someone like me that only needs a single width roof tent and would like to have a narrower tent to reclaim some space on the roof rack for other "stuff". After much begging on my part, a contribution to his Kickstarter campaign, and (most importantly) somebody else asking for the same thing, Chad decided to build a couple SOLO tents for the two of us. He says it taps into a hole in the market that nobody else was addressing and it's been surprisingly popular.

But it's a great design, crafted with care by a nice guy with a real talent for design and it's one of the lightest and lowest profile roof tents on the market and one of very few designed with oversize humans in mind.

www.terrapod.com
Thank you. Super nice for sure but it’s over double what my budget is. I don’t wanna be over the $2k mark. He’s got a great offering though. They look awesome.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
I'm not impartial, long history with Zifer (now AutoHome) back when there weren't many roof tents. My current tent is a very old French rooftent that is like a zero gravity chair with a tent over it. Weight is 35 pounds so I can easily handle it. Has some limitations but I've been able to adapt it to the conditions I go out in.

Favorite tent? - A tent we called "Frenchie's Tent". Second generation AutoHome Columbus with some modifications for North America. It was so light we had most all of them made in a medium size. Perfect for two people on a long journey. I gave a tent to Frenchie a long time ago and he used it everywhere and took notes on improvements, We made it and it had everything you want and nothing you don't. No internal lights, simple doors and screens, single layer breathable fabric and had a very nice lightweight white fiberglass shell.

What made the old Zifer tents so nice was the fiberglass shells. Nothing special, just well made and reinforced in corners and places that wear. Back in 2001, I think they sold for $1200.00 all in ready to go anywhere.

Late to party but I just got an OVS sidewinder, I am 6’5” tall as well. I sold a Roofnest Falcon due to feet hitting without diagonal position. I have also had a Mombasa, Smittybilt XL, and a GoFSR standard model. I like the aluminum shell models and saw the sidewinder. Plenty of room, 50” wide, a lot of headroom and great quality. Honestly, the first rtt I have had delivered that had absolutely zero damage. They have it on sale right now on their site. I really like it.
Pic of unboxing set up in garage.

Attachments

• 915CF056-2D12-4945-9343-EC5DE8065B97.jpeg
    915CF056-2D12-4945-9343-EC5DE8065B97.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior