Tandem axles and bags?

rebar

Adventurer
I found a trailer builder who will build me a narrow track 7x16 overland toy hauler which will be loaded to the gills. I want the wheels completely underneath the trailer with wheel wells and was thinking leaf springs, but what else is available for dual axle trailers? I'd like to have adjustable airbags, but independent or axleless is overkill. I seem to remember seeing a straight axle on airbags with bushings for sway control at one time, but I can't seem to find it now.

Any suggestions from the group?

I did find the Timbren's Silent Ride system, but it rides on rubber and is not adjustable.

And here's a picture of something I cant get my hands on..

Thanks!

ad-5.jpg

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
I am planning a trailer build.
It will be single axle using bits from a Dana 70 rear OKA axle. Single axle is much preferred for off road, particularly sand. Most tandem arrangements are not load sharing which is a risk.
It will use identical wheels and tyres to the truck (12.5/37x17). Tyre load rating will be 3.2T for the pair and is the limiting load factor, although load ratings of 3.9T are available.
Standard leaf springs identical to the rear of the truck.
Disc brakes identical to the truck with electric over hydraulic brakes.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

jwiereng

A homemade airbag tandem using straight standard run of the mill axles. With trailing arms and panhard rod

jwiereng

Some type of load sharing between axles would be cool, maybe you can come up with a work combination of walking beam and air bags.

Please keep us informed by posting photos and drawings on this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears