Tapping the Gas Tank on a RAM HD

K9LTW

Here ya be @bikelanta !

Custom enclosure behind the right wheelwell. Hole for the exhaust, intake and wiring is through the bed in there.
172b11a2cae8e4eb430dc8ac450ffe87.jpg

b96d98e038fb06878f7d00c58873a7c4.jpg

Everything is plumbed along the frame rail with the exhaust running to the bumper.

075c317f31f81a523b6297e5ca3df145.jpg

30f592cdfcdc9e56ef3049af0f6160da.jpg

678b5a8d555a4fed6f91e85c0ab8893c.jpg

17ee4a0e7c9e585e06de8642981d9776.jpg

And, bonus, here are the beefy patches on the Expedition One bumper!
501e2b57042e227f601917ca2d967a0e.jpg

37e459d039ef098ba2b5cbdae4c87611.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I too ran a Espar B4 (gas) in my Ford Transit with no issues.

Bonus: Transfer Flow is developing a LARGER factory replacement gas tank for the 2500/3500 Hemi models. No further details on capacity and fit at this point. They literally just started the project. I was told yesterday by a company representative that the project will take "about six months to complete." If the tank doesn't compromise ground clearance vs factory, I'm definitely getting one. If you're interested in showing that there is demand for the project, you can fill out the form at https://www.transferflow.com/suggest-a-product

K9LTW

I too ran a Espar B4 (gas) in my Ford Transit with no issues.

Bonus: Transfer Flow is developing a LARGER factory replacement gas tank for the 2500/3500 Hemi models. No further details on capacity and fit at this point. They literally just started the project. I was told yesterday by a company representative that the project will take "about six months to complete." If the tank doesn't compromise ground clearance vs factory, I'm definitely getting one. If you're interested in showing that there is demand for the project, you can fill out the form at https://www.transferflow.com/suggest-a-product
I filled that link out long ago...probably twice now :LOL:

One issue I may run into with whatever tank they're developing is that I have the Power Wagon suspension. Not sure if that will have any impact on fit. Did they tell you whether they were doing this for the short beds or only the longs? While it won't be ready for our big trip this summer...I'll be stoked if it all comes together and will work with my truck! Thanks for the insight!

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
My suggestion would be to dump the propane - it's weak, expensive, difficult to source, and can be problematic at higher altitudes and lower temperatures.

Absolute nonsense in the lower 48.

We routinely use LP gas for both heating and cooking at 9000+ elevation and down well below zero degree F without issue. And we run for months on a single 30# cylinder. And difficult to source?? Again, not the case in the US. Essentially every uhaul, building supply, hardware store, and vast number of gas stations across the US provide LP refilling.

K9LTW

Absolute nonsense in the lower 48.

We routinely use LP gas for both heating and cooking at 9000+ elevation and down well below zero degree F without issue. And we run for months on a single 30# cylinder. And difficult to source?? Again, not the case in the US. Essentially every uhaul, building supply, hardware store, and vast number of gas stations across the US provide LP refilling.
Same. We, routinely, use it above 10-11k feet on our trips out west with no issues. Cold's never been an issue for us, except with the little micro isobutane cans for the backpacking (i.e. coffee) burner. We take a 10# tank that'll last us nearly an entire month of near daily usage for both cooking with our Cook Partner and the fire pit. And, as you said, we've never had an issue refilling it. Our new trailer we'll get in June uses propane for the heater, cooking, and water heater. While it's not the most efficient for heat, IMO, it's perfectly fine and stupidly cheap to refill. The trailer will hold up to a 30# tank, too, so I've no worries about staying out for extended periods with it!

K9LTW

Awesome. Thank you for these. Appreciate the Expedition One bonus photos too.
Sure thing! Hopefully those help or give you a bit of context. Happy to answer any other questions to best of my knowledge and/or provide more pics.

Byrdseye

Observer
My Power Wagon / Enduro SuperTourer has a gasoline Espar air heater and, though early in the game, it works great. I much preferred going this route rather than have a propane system.

I filled that link out long ago...probably twice now :LOL:

One issue I may run into with whatever tank they're developing is that I have the Power Wagon suspension. Not sure if that will have any impact on fit. Did they tell you whether they were doing this for the short beds or only the longs? While it won't be ready for our big trip this summer...I'll be stoked if it all comes together and will work with my truck! Thanks for the insight!
K9:

It will be for the short-bed trucks. My understanding it that the market is limited for the long-bed trucks, since RAM already offers a 50G factory option.

Anyway, I create a new thread, so that I don't derail this one. If you reply, please do so there:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior