TaTundra 1 gen DC build

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
The canvas on the rack looks cool! Does it flap around like crazy on the highway? I've been contemplating making my own soft topper of sorts almost identical to what you have done. I like my fiberglass shell but it's a lot of weight.

tyv12

Adventurer
Ya gonna tear it down and see...
Actually the cover is a heavy fabric that I've got strung with parachute wire and it doesn't flap at all I'm pretty happy with it gives good shade for the doge and I can still reach stuff out of the front of the box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tyv12

Adventurer
It was already built but I had to swap the pinion flange and from what I've read this noise is a preload problem but I'm not taking chances and I'm gone take it apart and check everything

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Did you count the turns on the nut before removing so it went back the same?

tyv12

Adventurer
Yes I did but it was a different flange so u I don't know if that made a difference

tyv12

Adventurer
Got it all apart, definitely the pinion bearings they were almost binding when preloaded, the races are a mess, not sure what happened but gonna replace them and put in a crush sleeve eliminator maybe I screwed something when I changed flanges... I'm really sick of pulling this apart

9694c57e63debb11dea53d161b9947a0.jpg

1ab5098726d2a36609e9c7fdfd414aa3.jpg

f216133e674ff529adb1b0edcb6fa2c0.jpg

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Yeah if you changed flanges than it's almost impossible to put the nut back on the same to maintain correct preload

RockenAlex

So you're over-geared with 35's and 4.56's? I was under the impression that they would be a hair under geared... I was thinking I would need 4.88's when I go to 37's but seems like I may need to go with 4.56's based on what I've been reading recently... ('06 DC)

tyv12

Adventurer
I did the calculations and 4.56 is slightly overgeared, to be identical to stock it would have been 4.52

https://tiresize.com/gear-ratio-calculator/

This is the gear calculator I used

But the extra rolling resistance and that with the big tires I'm thinking 37s ur gonna want 4.88s

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Why would you want to regear back to stock specs? Stock specs is rated for a stock weight vehicle. When you start to increase weight. You want to be over geared imo

tyv12

Adventurer
Why would you want to regear back to stock specs? Stock specs is rated for a stock weight vehicle. When you start to increase weight. You want to be over geared imo

Yes i agree, the 4.56 work well for me with a 5 speed tranny, it's a balance between torque from low gearing and how high you want the rpms you want on the highway

jsnow

Adventurer
I have a 2001 Tundra with 35's and I am running 4.88's. My opinion is 4.56 would have been just about right, but I traded off some hwy performance for off-road performance. I don't regret 4.88's for one second.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998