TDeSanto's Montero Mod Thread

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Incusus said:
Interesting idea! I would have never thought of sliding fridge rails... we actually have several sliders from unused IBM rack kits laying around work that wont fit our new equipment. I may have to see if I can take a pair home and do some experimenting once I get to the point where I'm (finally) able to work on storage.

Mine are 24" rails. What are the length of the IBM rails? Do you know what the weight rating of them is?

ZooJunkie

Explorer
tdesanto said:
Mine are 24" rails. What are the length of the IBM rails? Do you know what the weight rating of them is?
I have several sets of rails off server racks at home. These are heavy duty! They were used to support servers weighing as much as 70-100lbs, so they are perfect for a drawer system. They measure 36 inches, well at least mine does. :)

Incusus

Adventurer
tdesanto said:

I dont know off the top of my head, but I'll check them out tomorrow at work :)

LC/LR4Life

Adventurer
Nice write up man! Yeah the lack of aftermarket parts for the monty in the US always kept me back from buying one. As for the IRS, the Generation III Range Rover has IFS and IRS and I haven't heard any problems so far. Then again, most people who buy this latest model aren't driving them off road that I know of.

Years ago I had an 87 Pathfinder. It was a good rig, but the lack of aftermarket parts for Nissan at the time forced me to switch to Toyota, which has GOBS of aftermarket items available. Your rig is a really nice one though, a real keeper and excellent for what you are using it for.

:safari-rig:

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
LC/LR4Life said:
Nice write up man! Yeah the lack of aftermarket parts for the monty in the US always kept me back from buying one. As for the IRS, the Generation III Range Rover has IFS and IRS and I haven't heard any problems so far. Then again, most people who buy this latest model aren't driving them off road that I know of.

Years ago I had an 87 Pathfinder. It was a good rig, but the lack of aftermarket parts for Nissan at the time forced me to switch to Toyota, which has GOBS of aftermarket items available. Your rig is a really nice one though, a real keeper and excellent for what you are using it for.

:safari-rig:

Thanks for the compliments. It's a lot of fun to take exploring.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Willman said:
T,

You have one sweet rig!

Thanks for making the ET fun and good cooking!!!:chowtime:

:)

Thanks, Nic.

I'm looking forward to the next trip with you. I'm always up for a great meal in the middle of nowhere. Next year's ET will be even better. Hope to see you soon.

TD

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Cool rig.

T,
I was great to meet you at the Expedition Trophy and drivign the Broken Arrow trail. Having seen your Montero in person, I can say it's a cool rig! :safari-rig:

Cheers :beer:,
P

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
p1michaud said:
T,
I was great to meet you at the Expedition Trophy and drivign the Broken Arrow trail. Having seen your Montero in person, I can say it's a cool rig! :safari-rig:

Cheers :beer:,
P

Thanks, Pierre. Great to meet you too. Thanks for the help on the trails and for all the great compliments. I hope it won't be too long before I get to do another trip with you, even if you are 2000+ km's away.

C-Fish

Adventurer
tdesanto said:
Finally, now I need to find someone to modify my rear tire carrier so that I can get my spare on there (on the rear door) and still clear my rear bumper. Looks like I'll need about 2" of lift over the bumper, so it shouldn't be too hard to do.

I have a 285/75/16 as my spare and it just fits over the rear bumper...

You should be good to go.

I'll post pics this weekend after I get my camera back from my brother.

BTW, I have a Gen 3 Monty with 2" Ironman lift/KYB shocks and 285/75/16's on MB Rocker wheels.

C-Fish

Adventurer
285/75/16 fitting on factory spare mount...

DSC_0010.jpg

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Seif1 said:
285/75/16 fitting on factory spare mount...

DSC_0010.jpg

Thanks for posting! I really appreciate the effort and glad to see another GenIII Montero out there.

It appears I have the same tires as you (BFG AT 285/75/16); however, my spare wouldn't fit. I needed another 1-1.5" of clearance over the rear bumper in order to get mine to fit. So, I had to have the rear tire carrier modified. I had a plate with bolts welded to the factory carrier. I had them move it up a few inches to give me a little extra room. I'm now wondering if there's a difference between year models on the genIII trucks.

Even though I've solved the problem, what year model is yours? Mine is an '01.

Thanks again and glad to see you join ExPo.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Regards,

Tony

C-Fish

Adventurer
Tony, mine is a '01 as well. The spare is NOT new (has about 10K on it). Not sure if a new tire would fit...

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Just scanned your thread Tony...

Great work on a vehicle with limited support. My 4th Gen 4Runner is not as popular (yet?) as I would like for some items but man do I have it easy compared to you.

My best to you ☺

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Redline said:
Just scanned your thread Tony...

Great work on a vehicle with limited support. My 4th Gen 4Runner is not as popular (yet?) as I would like for some items but man do I have it easy compared to you.

My best to you ☺

Thanks, James. It's been a challenge, but fun too in its own way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12