TDI Panamericana

haven

Expedition Leader
To commemorate the 75th anniversary of the Pan American highway, a team led by Rainer Dietlow plans to drive from Ushuaia, Argentina to Deadhorse, Alaska in a VW Touareg diesel AWD SUV. The drive starts June 29th. Follow the progress here:
http://www.tdi-panamericana.com/index.php

To increase the challenge, the three man team will attempt to complete the 15,000+ mile journey in 14 days. They will drive in shifts around the clock, stopping as little as possible. The team will travel in a single vehicle, without additional support.

The Touareg SUV will be mostly in stock condition. Preparations include adding an extra 300 liter fuel cell (that's about 80 US gallons), driving lights and slightly bigger tires. Since diesel fuel weighs about 7 lbs per gallon, that means they're carrying an extra 560 lbs of fuel. So I'm guessing that they strengthened the Touareg's suspension. I bet they also added racing seats and 5 point seat belts for added protection.

Rainer Dietlow has made a career out of drives using VW equipment. You may remember the altitude record Dietlow and others set in 2005 driving a team of Touaregs up a volcano in Chile. At the time, this was an absolute automobile altitude record. Shortly thereafter, a pair of Chilenos drove a modified Suzuki Samurai farther up the same mountain. So now Dietlow's web page calls his effort a record "for standard models."
http://www.touareg-record.com/index_e.htm

In 2008, Dietlow led a team on a six month, 28,000 mile drive through 40 countries on five continents in a vehicle powered only by compressed natural gas. On this trip, they used a VW Carry, a small utility vehicle about the same size and shape as a Ford Transit Connect. At the completion of the trip, the team estimated that they spent less than half as much on fuel costs and emitted fewer pollutants than what a typical gasoline-powered vehicle would have on a similar journey. Read about the EcoFuel World Tour here
http://www.ecofuel-world-tour.com/238.0.html?&L=2

Wiley

Adventurer
14 days...I don't want to rain on anyones parade but...

I wish them the best of luck, while I don't get it, to each his own.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Crossing borders in the middle of the night could be a problem. Shipping from Colombia to Panama (or vise versa) could slow them down a lot. Otherwise if you drive around the clock I think it is pretty doable.

Viggen

Just here...
Oh how I have always wanted a Touareg diesel. Having had 4 VAG products and having had issues with each one, I cannot bring myself to get one. I still lust for one but just cannot do it.

forsakenfuture

Explorer
I heard the buzz about this then came to the portal to find out more. Sure enough I found this thread. Looking forward to learning more.

Coyote

Jesus, you are near my home, i live in Coquimbo, Chile, if you have time, you are invited to my home to take a coffe or tea.

haven

Expedition Leader
The trip officially started July 2 at 4am. Now, 36 hours later, the team is a few hundred miles south of Lima, Peru. Follow their progress here

http://www.tdi-panamericana.com/map.php

Looking at the video blog, it appears that my guess was wrong. The vehicle has stock seats and seat belts.

I have to agree with Wiley... all the beautiful country and adventure along the way, and they will see nothing but the inside of the vehicle. I suppose they have their reasons...
Hope all goes well for them!

haven

Expedition Leader
By noon on July 7, the team reached the port of Cartagena in Colombia. This is roughly the halfway point of the trip.

The team is taking the most expedient way to transport their vehicle to Panama: A cargo plane is waiting at the Cartagena airport to fly the Touareg and passengers to Tucaman Airport east of Panama City! No time to lose!

digitaldelay

Explorer
Looks like they are safe on the ground in Panama. Now just a 10-day zip up to Deadhorse and they're done!

This definitely gets my vote for: Best Darien Gap Workaround EVER!

Jason

haven

Expedition Leader
Looks like the Touareg was back on the road in Panama about 8 hours after leaving Colombia. The team is already in Nicaragua.

The blue dots on the map show the team's position every half hour. So you can use the dots to see where the traffic and road conditions allow higher speeds (the blue dots will be farther apart). Looks like the team drove the fastest in southern Argentina after dark.

cwsqbm

Explorer
By noon on July 7, the team reached the port of Cartagena in Colombia. This is roughly the halfway point of the trip.

The team is taking the most expedient way to transport their vehicle to Panama: A cargo plane is waiting at the Cartagena airport to fly the Touareg and passengers to Tucaman Airport east of Panama City! No time to lose!

Cargo plane? Definitely a budget-be-damned trip. That explains how they'll clear all the borders quickly too.

Justin & Nadine

Not to be a stickler or anything.....

But isn't the CA1 the panamerican highway? It looks like they were on the CA3 in Nicaragua. Or does it even matter?

Regardless its been a lot of fun to follow

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78