Teardrop Advice for a Newbie

STREGA

Explorer
Check out Hiker trailers, they were at the Expo this year and their trailer looked pretty good and priced decently as well. They had a off-road version that IIRC started around $8500 and they had quite a few options available also. Although not a true teardrop shape, more like a Moby1 which is IMO a more usable shape inside, maybe a little less aero while towing. It also uses simple leaf springs instead of hi tech suspension system which keeps the cost down and provides plenty of ground clearance. My brother has a So-Cal Krawler and it is a very nice trailer it was also a bit pricey as well, probably could build a Hiker that will do every thing the Krawler can do for about half the cost.

tlrols

I went through the same thought process. Looked at the Little Guys, crawled in them, under them, played lets cook with the kitchen. The idea is cool and very old school. I found that it just wasn't really adequate for the needs of a man and woman and anyone else. I went with an off road A-Frame with an "off-road" package. It was about $3K higher than an "off-road" Little Guy.

This is what I got. Works for me. I suggest you look hard at these things. Crawl in them, lie on the bed (both of you), bring some bags with you and figure out where you will put stuff. Space goes FAST. You need to be very disciplined in what you bring with you, especially if you want to keep the tow vehicle mostly empty.

IMG_3175_small_b.jpg

jingram

Adventurer
You may look at Teardrops NW, since you will be living and based out of the PNW. I'm not affiliated with them in any way, but their showroom is right down the road from me in Salem Oregon. Their Recon model is really awesome and perfect for what you're describing. Don't think their site has been updated with them yet, but plenty of pics on their FB page. Nice thing about them is their real focus on waterproofing. Keeping out the moisture to prevent mildew, delay, and rot is a big deal here in the PNW. The fact that they seam seal everything with butyl tape, etc. is fantastic.

jingram

Adventurer
Ha, this is literally right down the road from me in Salem. I'm out in the Eola Hills down Oak Grove Rd. I drive by the showroom on a daily basis and it's always fun to see folks picking up their new trailers. They make a great product. I'll be buying a recon model within the next year or two as my kids get slightly older. Keeps everyone happy and way easier than my RTT.

Weeds

Adventurer
Check out 3 Feathers Manufacturing in LaGrande, OR. They have a dealer in Tualatin, OR. Camper outlet.

The prices seem reasonable.

dusty122

Adventurer
depends what you are getting for 10k. is that a fully stripped teardrop? ie. does it come with a fridge or other accessories or is it just a wood box on wheels. is that anything that is a major turnoff that you cannot change reality easily. I bought a used teardrop that was based off a socal teardrop. i bought it for about 7k but i've put in at least another 5k in adding things and modifying it to my liking. adding things like an arb fridge, awnings, additional power, changing wheels and tires etc. i bought one used mainly for financial reasons. 30k for a brand new fully kitted out teardrop was not in the budget and i dont have the correct tools, skills or time to build one from the ground up. my used one checked off a lot of the boxes for me for the things that aren't easily changeable. 1 well built frame and body, Queensize bed. Built by a big guy for a big guy so it fits me. it had minor accessories but spaces to easily add the items i wanted without much modification. Used quality offroad teardrops are hard to come by. I looked for at least 2 years till i found one that fit. If the build quality if good and it check's off the major items on your list than it maybe worth it.

DELAV

Ha, this is literally right down the road from me in Salem. I'm out in the Eola Hills down Oak Grove Rd. I drive by the showroom on a daily basis and it's always fun to see folks picking up their new trailers. They make a great product. I'll be buying a recon model within the next year or two as my kids get slightly older. Keeps everyone happy and way easier than my RTT.

That's hilarious, I've lived right off of Doaks Ferry and Glen Creek. My folks turned me onto this builder after seeing them from 22, and we're looking at their Recon trailer too. Bill, the owner, is an awesome guy and it sounds like he's really put some pride into the design and fabrication of his trailers. Smart use of space and a great looking trailer, but the options really add up and the standard features are a bit less than other builders it seems.

Thanks to all of you who have taken the time to chime in and share thoughts and experiences with these trailers. The biggest question for my wife and I has been size and weight, and we're leaning toward having something custom-built by Michael at Wanderlust Overland in Oregon, who's a satellite builder for SoCal. We couldn't make our mind up on sizing (4', 4.5', 5'), so we fabbed up a cardboard teardrop to try on for size with the pup. I think we're going with the 4.5!

IMG_4454.jpg

Last edited:

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
We couldn't make our mind up on sizing (4', 4.5', 5'), so we fabbed up a cardboard teardrop to try on for size with the pup. I think we're going with the 4.5!

Gee, that's not going to hold up very well, especially if it gets wet. :p For the record, a full size mattress is 53-54x75. If you want fitted sheets, 4.5' is a good choice.

I'm thinking of doing the CAD (cardboard-aided design) thing too with a couple of my ideas, after a couple of 1"=1' feasibility models.

JoshN

Observer
That's hilarious, I've lived right off of Doaks Ferry and Glen Creek. My folks turned me onto this builder after seeing them from 22, and we're looking at their Recon trailer too. Bill, the owner, is an awesome guy and it sounds like he's really put some pride into the design and fabrication of his trailers. Smart use of space and a great looking trailer, but the options really add up and the standard features are a bit less than other builders it seems.

Thanks to all of you who have taken the time to chime in and share thoughts and experiences with these trailers. The biggest question for my wife and I has been size and weight, and we're leaning toward having something custom-built by Michael at Wanderlust Overland in Oregon, who's a satellite builder for SoCal. We couldn't make our mind up on sizing (4', 4.5', 5'), so we fabbed up a cardboard teardrop to try on for size with the pup. I think we're going with the 4.5!

View attachment 352682

a 5 ft wide gets you a queen size mattress.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998