Teardrop Recommendations

Louisd75

Adventurer
you know you were wrong for that one. now you got my gears turning.

I've emailed back and forth with Camp Inn about picking up one of their raindrop trailers:

560ultra.jpg

They were very helpful and responded quickly to my questions. Unfortunately, most of the things that I would want they weren't able/willing to do. You'll be restricted in tire choice due to the fenders, they don't do multi axis couplings, no interior LED lights, etc. These are things that I could retrofit should I buy one, but 18k for a base model that I would then have to cut/weld/drill/modify seems a bit difficult to justify, particularly when I have many of the tools and some of the larger parts needed to build a trailer myself.

NetDep

Adventurer
This is the issue that I ran into. I found a couple of Teardrop makers but they were not willing to deviate from their standard features. This is where my experience with Little Guy worked out well -- they make enough, and have a palete large enough, that I could pick and choose options. Best of luck in your endeavors!!

luk4mud

Explorer
I don't have a picture of it in the trailer handy - she is over at her storage place -- but here is a link of the heater I have....I ordered it from Amazon.com...with the suggestion of a guy at work who is a trailer owner as well -- I like it a lot -- makes a huge difference in comfort. The thermostat is nice - I set it and it turns on/off on it's own - no need to wake up....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KKMCE2/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the link. 110 volt only?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Yeah, the heaters are for 110 use ----- they'd fry a battery in no time.
The 12v blanket is the only electric option reallly and that's only for infrequent use at best.
They sleep warm though. Believe me.

The sink I had was an oval one that was in the corner sorta diagonal. It had a 3 gallon tank with a flip-doohicky for filling it; got full of dust on the first trip and I had them disappear the entire mess. Traded them for some other farkles instead.

My stove is just a stove on a drawer; noting else next to it.
I really like it though and use it often. I also use a Dutch oven.
I carry a single burner back-up stove for emergencies that runs off a little green propane bottle. I've buggered my propane hose a couple of times (they DON'T like the cold) and the little stove can save the day.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Hilldweller -

I think I have visited with you on the LG forum? You have a great way of putting things and that is a great way to put it - either a TD is for you or it isn't. It most definitely is for me and I really do love mine -- can't wait to spend more time in it. As for the sink -- I HAVE used mine -- put some ice in and made some sodas cold!! I would agree - had it to do over - would have not gotten a sink or stove. The sink, although wasted space, just isn't used. The stove IS wasted space -- space that could be used for storage/stuff....I am normally (99.9%) alone and love my single burner Camp Chef stove so that is all I really ever use/need. Two of the pics show how the sink and stove are installed -- the sink, well, could live with or without but the stove -- that is a lot of space for some utensils or other.

Attaching a picture of my single burner stove and Camp Chef Sherpa kitchen -- both of which I would be lost without. I got the roof rack installed when I ordered the trailer and since had an ARB awning installed and love that too -- quality and works very well!! Pics of that as well. It does seem that we like our trailers - I like the ability to go anywhere my truck can go and have a safe/warm/stable place to sleep - oh, and watch TV/DVD's and stay cozy warm. I have a small ceramic oscillating heater for the cabin. Also - there is a ton of storage in this thing - under the floor beneath the bed.....

This is a great thread and really like all the ideas and sharing.

Hijacking the thread for a moment:

Tell me/us about your Camp Chef Sherpa kitchen. Since the LG I have on order will not have a stove, I am planning on using my current stoves (a 2-burner Coleman propane and a single burner Coleman white gas). I haven't figured out what type of table to put the stove on, and this one looks perfect!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I've emailed back and forth with Camp Inn about picking up one of their raindrop trailers:

560ultra.jpg

They were very helpful and responded quickly to my questions. Unfortunately, most of the things that I would want they weren't able/willing to do. You'll be restricted in tire choice due to the fenders, they don't do multi axis couplings, no interior LED lights, etc. These are things that I could retrofit should I buy one, but 18k for a base model that I would then have to cut/weld/drill/modify seems a bit difficult to justify, particularly when I have many of the tools and some of the larger parts needed to build a trailer myself.

Camp Inn's are definitely the "Airstreams" of the Teardrop world. The downside is that they're priced like airstreams, too. If you can find a used one for less than $10k you're doing good, new they start around $15 and many are over $20k.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I bring that into the house and the wife has all sorts of one liners to zing my way. I am going the electric blanket route.
I found a camo blanket on Amazon on sale when I got ours.
It screams testosterone.

But it sucks more juice than the doggy warmer...

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
If you want to build the cabin yourself but would like to have a proven chassis & suspension, you can contact us at Adventure Trailers for a chassis with the trailing arm air suspension, powder coated & pre-built for $3093. Food for thought. info@adventuretrailers.com

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
If you want to build the cabin yourself but would like to have a proven chassis & suspension, you can contact us at Adventure Trailers for a chassis with the trailing arm air suspension, powder coated & pre-built for $3093. Food for thought. info@adventuretrailers.com
...smart money....

You know I'll be at your doorstep one day, sir, retrofitting those dangly bits.

luk4mud

Explorer
...smart money....

You know I'll be at your doorstep one day, sir, retrofitting those dangly bits.

Just got off the phone with Mario, considering going this way to start with. It's going to be a bit more than the price above but may be worth it in the end.

NetDep

Adventurer
Hijacking the thread for a moment:

Tell me/us about your Camp Chef Sherpa kitchen. Since the LG I have on order will not have a stove, I am planning on using my current stoves (a 2-burner Coleman propane and a single burner Coleman white gas). I haven't figured out what type of table to put the stove on, and this one looks perfect!

I really do like the Camp Chef Sherpa kitchen!!! I has a table top that rolls to store in the back - is sturdy with telescoping legs and zip front with four zippered storage bags (of which one can be used as a ice chest for drinks, etc). I have seen several chuck kitchens - there are some more expensive and some less. This is the perfect size (it lives in the back of the truck - because I sometimes use it for picnics, etc) and is always part of the campsite with the trailer!! It is the perfect size, well constructed and suits my needs perfectly. It is great with my single burner Camp Chef but I have a friend with a two burner that I sometimes use and it fits perfect also!!

Link: http://www.campchef.com/sherpa-camp-table-organizer.html (I got mine at Cabela's).

Attachments

• IMG_7462.jpg
    IMG_7462.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 28

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
If you like Camp Chef (and like 389 other high-end brands), are in the military, NOLS alumni, fs employee, dept of the interior, or in a hip enough company (like mine) that is part of this network, you can get some really great employee discounts on things.
I think this link will work for you to check and see if your company is part of it.
http://www.promotive.com/invite/WilliamP44
If not, you can submit a request for a "team" membership (I think).
You're not allowed to publicize the discount amounts but it's really worth it.

mvbeggs

Adventurer
Just got off the phone with Mario, considering going this way to start with. It's going to be a bit more than the price above but may be worth it in the end.

We've been running an AT Teardrop since spring. We are very pleased with the trailer in every respect. The suspension setup is the main reason I went with the AT Teardrop over the competition's products. Highway manners are superb. It also handles washboard like a dream. (35-40 mph all the way into Tuweep type of dream) Although you said you don't do hardcore trails, the AT suspension setup will take you waaaay beyond those forest service roads.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78