Tech ?. Warn 9.5xp not spooling in or out...just clicking from the solenoid

McFly2003

Adventurer
So I replaced my winch line today and when I went to re-spool the new line onto the drum, I made it maybe 2/3's-3/4's the way in, taking breaks to let it cool down every 20 seconds or so, and it just stopped. After letting it take a break for a couple of minutes, I went to spool the rest of the line in and all I got was a loud click from the solenoid pack. I then went to spool it out to see if that would work and I got the same thing. The pull was extremely mild, just up and very gradual uphill, so I' almost certain I wasn't overworking the motor. I also felt it with a bare hand after it stopped working and while it was slightly warm, it definitely wasn't hot.
I have heard of people tapping the solenoids with mallets or screwdriver handles but none of this worked. I also took the cover off of the solenoid pack and it was quite clean.
I am no electric's expert and I did not buy this winch new. It came on the truck, however, I know for a fact that with the exception of when Slee spooled the original cable onto the drum, I am the first person to actually run the winch.
Does anyone here have any insight? I will call Warn tomorrow but thought I'd see if there was any wisdom on here. The Winch was professionally installed by Slee Offroad and again, has never been run other than spooling the cable. Now I have 20' of brand new synthetic line wrapped around the bars on my ARB...no bueno :(

Freezer

Observer
I had similar symptoms when i had water trapped inside of the motor. This was because i had mounted the winch bottom forward without relocating the drain hole plug.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
One solid loud click when you hit the button would seem to indicate that the control side of the system is working (solenoid is pulling in as it should), so the problem is on the load side. Based strictly on my past experience with Warn winches (all older models), the problem is probably the solenoid(s).

Check for power at the battery side of the solenoid (should have 12v all the time). If you have it there, then check it on the winch side of the solenoid. You should have 0v with the switch off, and 12v with the switch on (be sure that you're on the right solenoid). If that is OK, then check again where the cable is attached to the winch housing (assuming you have access to that terminal - some winches do, some don't). You should have 12v there when the switch is on, no power when it is off). If that checks out OK, take a look at the brushes. It's unlikely that they'll be bad - but it's worth a look if everything else is OK. If you have to dig deeper than that - it's probably best to get a hold of Warn & have them give you specific (targeted) advice, or find a local mechanic/electrician that can help you out.

good luck!

trump

Adventurist
I'd check your connections to the battery. Any chance you're using an Optima and have it hooked up to the side posts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle