Telescopes

nakota

Observer
I've always loved stargazing and finally got a telescope! I'm so psyched to get out of the city lights and take it camping this year.

It's an Orion 4.5" Dobsonian......I already wish I went for the 6" aperature. Hopefully with a barlow lense it will perform ok.

Here's a pic of the telescope - the thing is huge!
IMG_0099.jpg

And some full moon pics from the other night -
fullmoon022.jpg

fullmoon019.jpg

fullmoon018.jpg

Does anyone else have a telescope or into stargazing? I'd love to see pics of your telescopes and/or astrophotography :)

YukonRob

Adventurer
I take a small (60 mm) refractor on an equatorial mount when I head to Baja (and space allows). Nothing quite like your 'light bucket' though.

nakota

Observer
Sweet! How do you like the equatorial mount? I read reviews on the internet that cast it in a poor light (lolz:sombrero:), but I can't imagine it being any more difficult than the dobsonian mount...if you leave the dob for like 10 seconds, the star you were looking at is out of view, then it's kind of like a guessing game on where to find it.

Ps, have you ever thought about binoculars for astronomy? You can get 70mm, they would take up way less space than your scope. I'm thinking of getting a pair for kayak camping.

YukonRob

Adventurer
Once the mount is set up and aligned properly it is great - most of the time I don't bother and just hand point it where I want to look. We use it for tracking hickers, climbers, and kayakers almost as much as for star gazing.

I've seen some sweet backyard observatories built around dobsonians, and even some in small trailers.
I looked at some deep-sky binoculars a few years ago and the price was out of my range - I should revist that topic.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i'm into astronomy also,, i have a few telescopes and a huge pair of celestron binos. its a nice way to relax on clear nites away from the city.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger