Telescoping Tent Trailer Rack with Scissor Jack Lift

OcoeeG

Got the tent on and lifted. This is only about 63" high. Need another 10 inches or so to be at annex height. When we are not using the annex it could stay down or lifted to about this height. Jut need a way to make the 270 awning adjustable for height, already have some ideas. I designed the trailer so that all of the boxes were accessible while the tent was in the lowest position. The scissors jack lift worked well but I need to dial it in a little more. This was just a quick test at the end of the day to see if it would in fact lift.

KIMG0643.JPGKIMG0644.JPG

demagxc

To get the remaining 10" you could lock the tent at this height, lower the jack, add a 10" block of some kind under the jack, unlock, and raise the rest of the way.

NMBruce

Adventurer
you could try adding a couple of electric linear actuators. You could get 4 equal ones and put one at each corner or make a cross brace and put one at each end. something like this
my idea was to use an electric linear actuators to lift mine.

OcoeeG

So right now it is just a couple of 2x4s. Not even close to done with installing it. The jack I am using only goes up 20". They have 30" jacks out there, that is what I will get.

The action is smooth, no real bad binding. I just kinda shake it every 5 inches and it levels out.

I was thinking about using spring strut but I have not found one that goes up 24 or 25 inches. Has anyone found this?

Can't wait to use it, next decent weekend.

OcoeeG

I forgot to update. Friday after work I pulled the trailer out of the garage and popped the top. SO EXCITING! Worked great. Can't wait for some warmer weather so we can take it out. This is about 10" lower than it needs to be for full annex deployment. KIMG0663.JPGKIMG0664.JPG

Last edited:

OcoeeG

Well the lift system works pretty well. No real binding, I just kind of jiggle the frame and it evens out. Really wouldn't change a thing. Would love to find some gas struts long enough, haven't been lucky yet.

OcoeeG

So I have gotten the trailer out a few times now and I am impressed. Everything is working according to plan!

The light weight ~ 1400lbs and lower profile in the slipstream of the truck make it a breeze to tow, the Tacoma doesn't even feel it.
KIMG0027.JPG

Set-up is pretty easy breezy and getting better. The scissor jack tent lift system works well.
KIMG0077.JPG
Dialing in the kitchen. Every time we take it out I make a list of little things to make it better. Magnetic paper towel holder, better organization,
KIMG0076_2.JPG

Gratuitous camp shot
KIMG0081_2.JPG

Have a 13 gallon water tank on the way, already have a 12v 3gpm pump so we will be moving into the realm of running water/kitchen sink this week. Researching fans for in the tent for summer time camping comfort. Need to dial in the trash, thinking of a 20mm ammo can.

NMBruce

Adventurer
working on my set up, here it is made from wood and is at the welders now. I will add an electric actuator

Attachments

• IMG_0447.jpeg
    IMG_0447.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0446.jpeg
    IMG_0446.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0443.jpeg
    IMG_0443.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 21

OcoeeG

So I take it the tape measure is the linear actuator? Looks pretty slick. Please post a video once it is up and running. How tall will it be once deployed?

NMBruce

Adventurer
yes. I cut the boards to a 1.5" x 2" to match the metal pieces and the welder is working on that now. then the actuator will be bolted to a cross piece and to the last upper arm. its a 400lb actuator. the four legs will be pined in place to keep the tent at the hight for the annex if needed. hope this works?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears