Tell me about 03 Discovery

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I pass this thing on a used car lot every day, and I'm not going to buy it. But I like it, and price of admission is relatively low. I don't even know why I'm posting this.

Does this model have CDL? I'd wager that it doesn't.

Does it require premium? I assume it does.

Unlike my car (in the background), I'll betcha it has working A/C, which is a compelling feature.

Anyway, I'm not buying it, just lusting. So you don't have to think I'm on the fence or being indecisive or anything. I'm decisively not buying it. Unless it is magically cost-effective to do so. If that were the case, unicorns, leprechauns, fairies, and zebras would also be real.

upSDF.jpg

cosmic88

Observationalist
At first glance I thought " I'd rather have the silver Jeep in the background" :)

I'm sure someone who owns an '03 disco will be horribly offended... BUT... steer clear of the '03's. Various common issues (Top end noises, bad block castings, oil pump, Tres Amigos, etc...) seem to plague the '03.

Keep in mind, far too often Rovers (all brands even Defender) were initially bought by someone looking for either an image or fantasy vehicle. That type of owner almost never maintained them properly. They require more mechanical and electrical attention than most rigs on the road but they are great... just certain years had manufacturing issues independant of the "I needed to change the oil?" type of owner. Maint. and service history is crucial on any Rover... once it gets away from you it is expensive and timeconsuming to bring back to par.

Some Dude

Adventurer
The oil pump thing is overblown in my opinion. If that issue was going to rear its ugly head, it would have done it by now (unless that thing has extremely low miles). Most people who had that issue saw it pretty quick, it didn't wait unitl 80k to show up. It also affected some 04s and 03s outside the offical "vin range" too, so there's that.

It does not have CDL but that can be remedied for a few hundred bucks. They do take premium, but at $4/tank difference over regular, is that really a deal breaker? Especially when a tank of gas is $80 already. Who really cares at that point? The 03s are significantly cheaper than similar 04s, which is attractive to the right buyer.

All that said, I do own an 03. Its reliability has FAR exceeded my expectations since all my pre-purchase research suggested it would be the worst mistake of my life. I wouldn't trade it for anything, but I wouldn't recommend one to anyone either. You either know it's the right vehicle for you, or you pony up for something more "reliable."

AeroSynch

Adventurer
2004 is the best year of the DII. 2003 not so much, and it does not have the CDL. Like you, I have a Cherokee XJ, but I know in the future I WILL buy a 2004 Discovery to replace the Jeep. It is just a matter of time until everything lines up.

Brianawd

I hava 03 with 108k on the clock. Picked it up from my sister. She got it brand new off the show room floor. I'm lucky in that she had it serviced at the dealer for every single thing it ever needed. It runs great. No top end noise. TC and ABS all work perfect. I also have friend that has a 03 that he picked up with 94k on it. Now has 137k and still runs perfect.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Chris, you need to find a different route to where ever it is your going and avoid this succubus. On the other hand...Allison really wants your Jeep...I could take it off your hands for a nominal sum...even with the broken AC...if that's what you really want to do.

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
The oil pump thing is overblown in my opinion. If that issue was going to rear its ugly head, it would have done it by now (unless that thing has extremely low miles). Most people who had that issue saw it pretty quick, it didn't wait unitl 80k to show up. It also affected some 04s and 03s outside the offical "vin range" too, so there's that..."

Overblown huh? The oil pump failures have been well documented. Here's an example of a reputable indy shop in MA discussing the issue.

http://robisonservice.blogspot.com/2011/06/new-land-rover-engine-failure.html

Though, this certainly doesnt suggest that they aren't reliable. I would buy one if it has been taken care of (just like any Rover)

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
2004 is the best year of the DII. 2003 not so much, and it does not have the CDL. Like you, I have a Cherokee XJ, but I know in the future I WILL buy a 2004 Discovery to replace the Jeep. It is just a matter of time until everything lines up.

How is the 03 not any better than the 04? Just because it doesn't have a CDL (which most people dont/wont use)? As stated previously, that can be remedied for <$1k if the owner really wants it. The only difference between the 03s and 04s are, again, the CDL and the roof rails. Everything else is the same. Geez.

Howski

How is the 03 not any better than the 04? Just because it doesn't have a CDL (which most people dont/wont use)? As stated previously, that can be remedied for <$1k if the owner really wants it. The only difference between the 03s and 04s are, again, the CDL and the roof rails. Everything else is the same. Geez.

there was a slight change made to the 04's engine block to correct the issue with the oil pump. CDL also makes a great difference if you are interested in hitting any difficult trails. when i was looking for a disco, i noticed little difference in price between the 03/04. the largest difference in price was between the 03'/04' and the 99'-02' due to the facelift and move to the 4.6

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
there was a slight change made to the 04's engine block to correct the issue with the oil pump. CDL also makes a great difference if you are interested in hitting any difficult trails. when i was looking for a disco, i noticed little difference in price between the 03/04. the largest difference in price was between the 03'/04' and the 99'-02' due to the facelift and move to the 4.6

Again, as I stated, how is the 03 that much different than the 04 BESIDES the CDL? It isnt. If the CDL is really that big of a deal to someone who believes they are going to hit some techical trails..then swap the t-case. I have owned 3 discos. Two D2s and one D1 and I have done plenty of trails in all three. And the D2s without CDL are pretty capable. I connected the CDL on my 2000 D2 with an 04 CDL linkage. My 02 didnt have CDL. With proper driving, and the right tires, it was very capable.

CDL doesnt make the car, it just enhances it IF it is actually going to be used AND truly needed. Otherwise the 03s are fine with the oil pump exception. But my comment stands, they are the same car with two exceptions, CDL and fat roof rails.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
This argument could be made for any Rover. Most of the Camel Trophy runs were done with bone stock trucks (gear added for storage, but no HD axles, CV's, etc.).
D

Some Dude

Adventurer
Agreed on the CDL issue, and the swap can be accomplished for FAR less than a thousand bucks. A new front output housing with all the locking bits can be had for less than $400 and can be retrofitted without removing the t-case from the vehicle. If that's too complicated, you can drop the case and replace it with a locking LT230 for hardly any more money.

As for my comment on the oil pump issue being overblown, I'm in no way saying it didn't or wasn't happening. Just that it was happening to people frequently in the 0-25k mile range. If they made it to 80k (which is about where most 03s are sitting these days) without the pump dowel issues runing your motor, you're probably fine. There isn't a lot of documented history of that showing up later in the engine's life. On the other hand, a 4.6 that is over 100k has likely seen some head gasket work and if so could see block cracking behind the cylinder liners. The Robinson Service blog you linked to has plenitful information on that issue. I'd be way more wary of a slipping liner or cracked block issue on a 80-100k 4.6 than a pump dowel issue showing up at that stage.

Howski

Again, as I stated, how is the 03 that much different than the 04 BESIDES the CDL? It isnt. If the CDL is really that big of a deal to someone who believes they are going to hit some techical trails..then swap the t-case. I have owned 3 discos. Two D2s and one D1 and I have done plenty of trails in all three. And the D2s without CDL are pretty capable. I connected the CDL on my 2000 D2 with an 04 CDL linkage. My 02 didnt have CDL. With proper driving, and the right tires, it was very capable.

CDL doesnt make the car, it just enhances it IF it is actually going to be used AND truly needed. Otherwise the 03s are fine with the oil pump exception. But my comment stands, they are the same car with two exceptions, CDL and fat roof rails.

If you would have read my whole post, well, atleast the first scentence, you would have seen that I mentioned about the oil pump issue. If I were looking to purchase a vehicle I would think gettting one with a less likely chance of having a catostrophic engine failure (far more than the minimal savings between an 03 and 04) would be a pretty big concern.

I have wheeled my 04' without the CDL engaged and have been fine but I have been able to go further, easier (i.e. less wheel spin, putting less strain on the axle shafts) with it engaged. Just seems like a major plus not having to swap the t-case out right when you get a new vehicle. If he is just going to be cruising on gravel roads, he probably doesn't need it but it sure as hell helps on any harder trails, particularly in off-camber situations where some of the wheels are unloaded

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Let's clear up a few misconceptions. I will start off by saying I own an 03 disco and just closed on buying an 04 disco this morning.

The oil pump on my 03 blew at 116k miles on the way home from a wheeling event, they can go at any time...
Tcases can be had for $250. I've installed a few. It's less than half a days work after you have done.
Never had the 3 amigos on my 03

-Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998