Tell me about the Jeep Commander

billiebob

I had a 3.7L no frills Commander. Excellant all around as a DD. Quadra Trac I so no 4LO, and no roof options, open difs, zero towing capability... regardless of how it is rated. But still a great AWD SUV with space for 7 adults.

The 4.7L adds 4LO with Quadra Trac II and the option of leather, AC and the 4? sunroofs.

The 5.7L is loaded. Leather, AC, sunroofs all standard. Plus Quadra Drive with some kind of electronic limited slip auto locker things.

I really preferred the 3.7L. The fabric interior was excellent. Just like my 5.9 Grand I never needed 4LO, this was a DD highway cruiser. And I hate sunroofs. Plus I bought it 4 years old, 10 years ago for $5500. Sold it 6 years ago for $5000.

If you find a 3.7L you like, you can probably low ball it and get it.

billiebob

I googled it and found this quote...

Shortly after production ended, Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne said of the Commander, "That vehicle was unfit for human consumption. We sold some. But I don't know why people bought them."

Which just means if you want it, it should sell cheap. Even tho they are excellent Jeeps.

Lots of comments about how hard they are to modify.... but you state, "Vehicle would remain nearly stock" .... so hardly relevant. Same for me, other than tires, mine stayed stock too. I think the Commander is one of the best buys out there if you want an XL SUV.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Shortly after production ended, Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne said of the Commander, "That vehicle was unfit for human consumption. We sold some. But I don't know why people bought them."

What's an Italian Fiat guy know about Jeeps other than Jeeps saved their ****** during the big war!

billiebob

What's an Italian Fiat guy know about Jeeps other than Jeeps saved their ****** during the big war!
You mean besides the fact that he got Chrysler Jeep out of banktuptcy and was the guy who said "Lets build a Wrangler pickup"? And he did all that in 9 years. Who knows what else Jeep would be doing if he were still alive.

Cottontail

Easy Street on Mud Tires
Having owned 2 ZJs, 1 WJ, 1 WKII, 4 XJs, and 1 XK, I will say this about the Commander

-The Hemi is a powerful engine. Better than the 5.2 V8 I had in my '94 ZJ.
-The Hemi only gets me 12 mpg around town and 14 on the highway and 8 when I tow my XJ....and the tank is only 17 gallons. Ridiculously small for a big, thirsty truck.
-The early Hemi's (mines a 2006) had valve casting issues - my engine blew at about 135000 miles and I had to have it replaced. I bought it used, and had no maintenance records from its early life.
-I love the way it handles and how roomy it is (I'm 6'6")
-The Limited is very nicely appointed with the sunroof and navigation stereo and heated seats. I wouldn't personally pick anything less than a Limited model
-Surprisingly it is shorter and narrower and lighter than the current model WKII.

-If I had to make the purchase over again, I would NOT have bought this one, and instead waited out a 2009+ model.
-If I wanted to build an overlanding SUV, this would be my hands down choice...but for pure off-roading and trail riding, I'm sticking with my XJ

jkcobra

Observer
Had a 2010 hemi, limited, 4wd commander, loved it, great on-road manners. 4wd worked very well too. Limited aftermarket availability / lifts, but there are a few options. Just be prepared to fill up often! 11 mpg, about a 200 - 220 mile range. By comparison my yukon xl 6.3L denali gets 17 - 20 mpg on freeway, and my ram 2500 diesel gets ~20 mpg (unless towing).

Hersbird

This thread caught my eye because I just picked up a 2009 Commander Hemi with the QD2. I also have a 2012 VW cheater/fixed TDI Touareg. I had been shopping Commanders before I bought the Touareg about a year ago, but I just couldn't find a 2009 or 2010 Hemi with the QD2. Then I drove a Touareg and it's the nicest thing I had ever driven so with the added 4 year factory warranty I picked one up. Then my sister found the Commander I was looking for and bought it, but now she's buying a house and had to free up a payment and has new 50 mile commute (she needs better than 15 mpg) so I get the Commander for $7500. I was going to lift the T-reg and put better tires on, but now I can keep that stock as my high MPG long trip/commuter, and lift the Commander and make a hunting/offroad/camping rig. I don't need crazy off road ability, but a 2.25" lift and some 265/70/17s will be the plan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears