Tent with shell

Rab89

Observer
Ok, so I want one of these..
Mid_Size_SUV_Tent2.jpg

but I can't afford one, and I need a tent, I was thinking of just getting a normal tent and putting it as close to the truck as pissible, but I figured I'd come here for better Idea's first. so what do you guys use? and what would you suggest?

Thanks!

Rab89

Observer
I'll be sleeping in teh truck bed, I just need a place to change and keep extra things safe

Last edited:

paulj

Expedition Leader
A tent with a connecting sleeve does not cost much more than a standalone tent of comparable size and quality.

A DAK campershell tent runs about $100
full-midsizebig.jpg

It gives more space and ventilation when sleeping in the shell. It does not give you the standing room for changing. You could cover your gear with a tarp, and hear anyone (or thing) rummaging around.

Last edited:

Rab89

Observer
hmm, any ideas where I can get a good tent with connecting sleeve?
I really want to be able to stand and change in the tent.

offroadchef

Adventurer
Ok, so I want one of these..
Mid_Size_SUV_Tent2.jpg

but I can't afford one, and I need a tent, I was thinking of just getting a normal tent and putting it as close to the truck as pissible, but I figured I'd come here for better Idea's first. so what do you guys use? and what would you suggest?

Thanks!

What's your budget on the tent? Price doesn't seem that bad. What kind of truck are you using?

Rab89

Observer
well as for the price, as little as possible.
I may end up just getting an normal tent for $50 and backing up real close.
truck is a 2001 Tacoma.

Maybe I'll just get a nice canvas tarp to close up between the truck and the tent, whatchya think?

offroadchef

Adventurer
well as for the price, as little as possible.
I may end up just getting an normal tent for $50 and backing up real close.
truck is a 2001 Tacoma.

Maybe I'll just get a nice canvas tarp to close up between the truck and the tent, whatchya think?

That would have been plan B. Have you looked on craigs list. I have found some wonderful deals there before?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
That would have been plan B. Have you looked on craigs list. I have found some wonderful deals there before?

+1 on this. Also, post a "wanted" ad on CL with a picture of what you want. Someone may have one gathering dust in their garage and when they see someone wants it, they'll email you.

I found both of the fiberglass toppers for my '04 Tacoma by posting "wanted" ads on CL.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Why?

I see no benefit to sleeping in the Taco if you are pitching a tent. I just take my tent and sleep on a good Therma rest. :camping: If you are buying a tent big enough to stand in why not sleep in it also. "The cridders ain't gonna gitch ya!" One with a sleeve would require attaching and removal every time you leave camp. Wouldn't a camp that is sustainable without the Taco be better? Set up the camp and come and go as you please. I just don't see the need. My $.02.

Rab89

Observer
I see no benefit to sleeping in the Taco if you are pitching a tent. I just take my tent and sleep on a good Therma rest. :camping: If you are buying a tent big enough to stand in why not sleep in it also. "The cridders ain't gonna gitch ya!" One with a sleeve would require attaching and removal every time you leave camp. Wouldn't a camp that is sustainable without the Taco be better? Set up the camp and come and go as you please. I just don't see the need. My $.02.

Why? because sleeping in the truck is MUCH nicer than sleeping on the ground, I already have a sleeping platform built, I guess until you've slept comfortable in the bed you won't understand. the sleeve is easy to take off too, you don't have to take the whole tent down.

and that leaves room in the tent to put your coolers, and table and chairs, making eating a lot nicer in the morning, and if the weather is ****.

but, personal preference right!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998