**Tepui RTTs and Accessories**

Box Rocket

hey guys,

I bought a Kukeman Sky two weeks and used it for 5 nights so far. Absolutely love it but I did notice something with my tent and wanted to bring it up.

The tent fabric is extremely tight to the frame, so much so that the half that flips open cannot sit flat. The floorboard interlock doesn't mate all the way (is this normal?).

The first time I opened the tent, the interlock was nowhere close to mating and I scrubbed this off as new fabric that needed to stretch a bit. After each day of use, the tent did start sitting flatter but the fabric also got very stretched in the corners. (how tight is the fabric supposed to be to the frame?)

The internal straps are also never loaded. Looking at the South African brands, these straps look like they suspend the cantilevered portion of the tent? With mine it looked like the fabric is doing all the lifting.

With the stretch on the fabric, I've also found zipping up the windows to be a pain because the zippers are being pulled as well.

I'm worried that with continued use the fabric will stretch beyond normal wear and begin falling apart. Anyone with similar fabric fit care to comment on longevity?

Thanks!

View attachment 377805View attachment 377807
View attachment 377806View attachment 377808View attachment 377809
That's pretty normal and it should relax over time, especially in warmer weather. You can try to adjust the canopy in the track around the base. It looks to me like the mounted half of the canopy might have a little slack that could be adjusted toward the cantilevered side, which might relieve some of the tension. Also the internal straps being slack could just be minor adjustments between the bows. My Autana will occasionally have a bow a little out of position that needs to be nudged into place.
With the tongue and groove on the base, make sure nothing is obstructing the joint (like cover straps etc) and sometimes it can help to push upward a bit on the bottom of the floor near the joint while pulling down on the outward edge near the ladder to get the groove to seat. At least that's what I've found with some new tents, but like I said, after a while it should start to relax a little. But I'd see if you can adjust the canopy in the track a little and if that helps. Let me know if you're still having issues.

grogie

Like to Camp
^Regarding the tongue and groove on the base, I've had that happen if something is in the way or the fold down side is not flat enough, but it's never been an issue for the two years I've been using my Tepui. The only issue I've had is the skirt getting caught when zipping up the cover so I have to slide my finger in behind the zipper to make sure that the skirt doesn't get caught.

Really, it's in as good of condition as when new. Super comfortable to sleep in. :)

Hobiecat

Observer
After reading dozens of reviews, I've more or less decided on a Tepui product. I'm torn between the Ayer and the Kukenam.

Has anyone had any experience with cramming 2 adults and a dog in the Ayer, or am I better off stepping up to the Kukenam for the 1-2 trips a year where my mother in law isn't free to dogsit and we take our boxer with us?

TheFutur

Adventurer
After reading dozens of reviews, I've more or less decided on a Tepui product. I'm torn between the Ayer and the Kukenam.

Has anyone had any experience with cramming 2 adults and a dog in the Ayer, or am I better off stepping up to the Kukenam for the 1-2 trips a year where my mother in law isn't free to dogsit and we take our boxer with us?

Id step up to the Kukenam or even the Autana for the covered ladder (something I wish I did!)

The extra length and width will be much appreciated even when there is no dog with you.

Box Rocket

You'll be happier with the extra space in the Kukenam, especially with the dog.

MtnClimber

Ready To Explore!

Kukenam worked awesome for myself and my 65 pound American Terrier. I hauled it around on top of my Tacoma with ease.

20150906_065252.jpg

Last edited:

OwyheeMagpie

Adventurer and Explorer
My 75 pound Shepherd loves the annex on the Autana, I do to, no dog hair in my bed! I'm sort of OCD with that stuff so having the lower annex is sweet. It's also awesome for crappy weather, you can hang out in there or more importantly change easily, stash gear or leave your dirty wet stuff there before going to bed...it's that OCD again.

And a picture of the action, because why not?

Boatmonkey

Observer
Tepui rack help

I'm now a proud owner of a Tepui Autana. I will be mounting it into a M416-type trailer. My question for those who have built their own racks, what size tubing (including wall thickness) have you used for the vertical and horizontal pieces? I'm going to be making it out of square tubing and I want to know what will work without adding too much weight. Thanks for all your help.

Box Rocket

I'm now a proud owner of a Tepui Autana. I will be mounting it into a M416-type trailer. My question for those who have built their own racks, what size tubing (including wall thickness) have you used for the vertical and horizontal pieces? I'm going to be making it out of square tubing and I want to know what will work without adding too much weight. Thanks for all your help.
On my adjustable rack I use 1.5" sq tube for the uprights and 1x2" for the "platform". All 1/8" wall.
After I retired the adjustable rack I built some simple "load bar" style that are attached to the lid of my trailer. This is all 1.5" sq tube 1/8" wall

1MK

ExploreDesert
For those of you that camp in rain, mud, snow, etc. - Tepui has released Boot Bags that attach to the bottom channel of the tent base.

Worked really well for us on our last trip.

surferdude78

Observer
Tepui showed another version that attaches to the ladder at Outdoor Retailer. That would be a nice workaround for tents with an annex.

Attachments

• Tepui OR.jpg
    Tepui OR.jpg
    545.9 KB · Views: 37

Elbee

Adventurer
what is the big difference between the Tepui Ayer and the Baja Series Tepui Ayer?
Also why is the Kukenam SKY more expensive than the hideous camo version of the Kukenam SKY?

Happykamper

Explorer
Hideous ???? Lol. I have the hideous Autana Siberian Camo :) just got back from two days in the snow :). The Baja is almost all screen on top I believe .

HIDEOUSE ???? :) I kinda like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle