Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
What do you recommend/sell?

This is what we sell for mattress underlayment and ventilation

155_underMattress1.jpg

155_underMattress2.jpg

stockwell45

Why am I not outside?
I've been a happy customer of a Tepui Kukenam for about 18 months now, and have around 150 nights in the tent. For the most part is has held up great. It has been on the roof for mostly the whole time, on quite a few very rough wheeling trips without incident in every type of weather. Here are my complaints, although they are few:

1. Condensation under the mattress is by far the most annoying part of the tent. I use my tent mostly in winter so it's a real hassle. I'll be getting the hypervent material posted above (Thanks Dennx for the link).

2. I've gone through 3 ladders now. On the first ladder, the clips that keep the ladder from collapsing down did not work. As soon as I put my whole weight in the tent, the ladder would collapse down. The other two ladders broke where the ladder mounts meet the ladder. Tepui sent me all new ladders each time at no cost.

3. The zipper is separating from the door in one spot, for about 4 inches. Probably an easy fix with a basic sewing kit, and definitely just from normal wear.

4. I've had problems with the cover zipper separating from the fabric. I keep 2 pillows and a down comforter up in the tent when it's packed up, probably what has caused it. And the zipper itself broke, here's a pic. Tepui sent me a new cover zipper free of charge after this happened.

In all, this has been a great tent for the money, and has performed fantastically. I'd recommend Tepui for anyone not looking to spend $1500+ on a tent.

And since everyone likes pics:

grogie

Like to Camp
I have an Ayer sitting in my garage that showed up last week!

I'll keep in mind the pad for condensation, as well as possibly upgrading it's pad to something thicker. I've really gotten tired of setting up a ground tent. Although I have a Turbo Tent that's quick to setup, it's the other stuff such as the air mattresses and the cots that aren't quick to deal with and take up a lot of room. Not to mention with being on the ground that isn't as attractive as it use to be. With all of the tent setup, I've never wanted to camp in a spot for just one night, so this will help me on my quest to explore. :D

7tog.jpg

El Robot

Oktober Guard
Has anyone bought the "Ruggedized" version? I was initially looking at the Tepui Sky, but I'm wondering if the Ruggedized might be a better purchase. It's right at the edge of my RTT budget (not really wanting to exceed $1500).

surferdude78

Observer
Kukenam Ruggedized on Order

Someone must be buying them since they've almost sold out of their initial shipment and only have a couple of the larger XL Ruggedized left.

I was planning to buy a Hannibal but after talking with Evan at Tepui now have a Kukenam Expedition Orange on order for delivery next month and am saving a grand compared to what I would have paid for a 1.4m Classic.

El Robot

Oktober Guard
I think that's what I'll do. I'll just contact them and see what they can set up for me purchasing wise.

surferdude78

Observer
Getting my Ruggedized!

Am so looking forward to getting my new Kukenam Ruggedized next week. I spoke with the nice folks at Tepui today & found out its double stitched just like the African tents I had been looking at.

They are in Monterey this weekend at the Sea Otter Classic bike race showing off their new Autana Sky model that's soon to be out. These guys rock!

Autana Sky.jpg

grogie

Like to Camp
So about a week ago I mounted my Ayer on top of my trailer. My trailer's lid has rails running across the top that I wanted to drill through, so I made a wood template based off of the tent's tracks, that I then put the template on my trailer to mark the holes for drilling. Fortunately it was a good call and worked out!

1q7n.jpg

So it's on! I was sold on the Ayer for it's small size being that my trailer is not large. Plus, I tow it with a lifted two-door Jeep TJ so I'm always looking to save weight. It's big enough inside for my wife and I and rather cozy. So far I've taken a nap in it as it's like having a tree house. :)

w3kf.jpg

578y.jpg

I can open the trailer's lid with or without the tent being open (although it's easier with the tent open).

mji6.jpg

This evening I put the cover on for the first time. I had also bought a condensation mat to go under the pad, however the cover seemed too tight to get the zipper zipped, so I pulled the mat out. The zipper then worked easy enough. I'll see if the cover stretches some and I'll try it again.

0jbo.jpg

Last edited:

Eric S.

Adventurer
We picked up a Kukenam XL Ruggedized. Haven't made the lid an mounts on the M101 yet but it looks very well built. Tried it out in the house for size and comfort sleeping the family (2 Adults a 9 year old), it was comfortable and everyone fit well. Should be getting a lot of use out of it soon, I'm building the trailer lid and rack next weekend.

On a side note I asked our insurance company abut the tent coverage and was told once it was mounted (needing tools to remove) I could have my trailer registered from a utility to tent trailer. Just have to keep the receipts in case it goes missing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger