Tepui Tent RTT

grogie

Like to Camp
Here is the first night trying out the Ayer. I just found a campground for the night. Should be a brisk 35 degrees in the morning, but I've got the inside all setup so I should be as a bug in a rug as the saying goes. I love how fast the tent is to setup! So much better then a ground tent.

I'm going to give night photography a try as I'm out away from anyone.

6fm6.jpg

8l47.jpg

grogie

Like to Camp
^Well it was a restless night. I froze half the night but that was my fault as I was using an old single sleeping bag that was not rated for the weather as it was below freezing. It's been years since I've camped in that kind of a temperature, and I was younger too! At 6:30 am I forced myself out of bed as my feet were frozen, and I boiled water for two hot cups of coffee.

There was some dampness in the tent when I woke up, but I cracked a couple of windows and quickly it went away. I did not feel any moisture under the pad. (I don't have the condensation mat installed yet.)

There was also a good breeze going but the tent didn't make too much noise. I ended up lowering the outside/top flap on the side my head was on, and it made less noise in it's lower position.

I think the pad is a bit stiff for my liking as it's not Tempur-Pedic which I'm use to (which in fairness it's not priced as such). I also had another cheep double-sized sleeping bag under the one I was in, but still I think I want to find something better then the original pad, or at least a thin top with more give as I like to sleep on my side and otherwise I felt a bit stiff. I'd like something that I can leave in the tent and close it up, but the outside cover is pretty snug when getting it zipped up without anything left inside (last week I did try and leave the double-sized bag inside but I couldn't get the cover zipped up as the tent seemed too thick, even with the compression straps in place). Maybe I just need a thicker sleeping bag for better comfort? To get two bags in the Ayer, they need to be on the narrow side since the tent is only 48" wide. The two cheap single bags that I have are too wide as they both overlap each other.

But, this was the point of me taking the tent out for a test run. It looks like I will be shopping for new sleeping bags!

Positives:
  • I do love how quickly the tent goes up.
  • Kind of fun to hang out of it.
  • Even only on a trailer it makes you feel like you're in a tree house.
  • It's got plenty of places to hang things inside. I hung a light/fan from the top inside, plus a small hammock for storage.
  • It's easy to get in and out of.
  • Feels solid and safe.
  • I love this shoe hammock. It's great place to put your shoes rather then inside (make sure to get the slide-in hangers).
  • I should get a lot of use out of it.

I'm actually kind of a private person, so the tent and trailer certainly garner attention so plan on friendly campers stopping by. I think the lady that checked me in had never heard of an RTT. She didn't get it that the tent was bolted to the trailer as she was telling me where I had to put it on the ground.

And, here are a couple of pictures that I took at 10 pm. It was getting windy and cold.

quia.jpg

sjg6.jpg

Last edited:

El Robot

Oktober Guard
Well I went to order my Kukenam Ruggedized, and alas, they were all sold out already. I did talk to customer service, and I'm now on the waiting list for the next batch. I told them I'd take grey if they came a lot sooner, but I really want the expedition orange. We'll see how it goes!

El Robot

Oktober Guard
Well after talking to a sales rep, I decided the Ruggedized was not for me (even though I so dig the Expo Orange) and instead went with the Kukenam Sky. Saved me a few hundred bucks, and I'm still getting a Tepui. Super excited!

grogie

Like to Camp
^Nice. That looks like a great tent option, especially for out in the wilds with the stars out. Do keep us updated.

TiFJ

Observer
Currently waiting for my Kukenam Ruggedized to show up. Getting anxious and can't wait to try it out!

grogie

Like to Camp
Now that must have been a long night!

Years ago I was in an all night downpour in a ground tent. We were soaked by 5 am with a river running under then tent. Here is to no more ground tents! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman