Tepui Tent RTT

Dragos28

Adventurer
We also did not feel comfortable with our stock mattress.
My first mod was to take it to my upholsterer and have him glue on 2.5" memory foam. That made the mattress 4.5" thick and we slept like babies.

only problem with that was that it was too thick and we could barely close the damn thing, let alone leave our sleeping bags inside.

I pulled that out and gave it away and had my upholsterer make a new mattress out of high density foam. 2" thick like before but actual good quality foam that you wont sink you knee or elbow through.

Try adding a 1" topper, that will help but the best is to actually get some high quality foam and make a new mattress.

ljrunner05

Adventurer
My first mod was to take it to my upholsterer and have him glue on 2.5" memory foam. That made the mattress 4.5" thick and we slept like babies.

only problem with that was that it was too thick and we could barely close the damn thing, let alone leave our sleeping bags inside.

I pulled that out and gave it away and had my upholsterer make a new mattress out of high density foam. 2" thick like before but actual good quality foam that you wont sink you knee or elbow through.

Try adding a 1" topper, that will help but the best is to actually get some high quality foam and make a new mattress.

Thanks Dragos! Any idea what type of density foam you used in your new one? I'd be willing to make a new mattress if it means we'll sleep better!

grogie

Like to Camp
Last night was my wife and my first time sleeping in our new Tepui, and as awesome as it was we were both pretty uncomfortable on that OEM mattress. We are both side sleepers, and it's just not thick or soft enough for that IMO. So, does anyone know the mattress dimensions for the Autana Sky? Looking for a mattress topper online.

Same thing I experienced with the provided mat. So I found a 1-1/2" gel topper that slips inside a thin double-sized sleeping bag (to keep the topper clean) for my Ayer. It's perfect now... Although it has to come out to fold the RTT up, but I can still leave the sleeping bags in.

6fe006.jpg

stingray1300

Explorer
One of the first things I did to my Tepui Gran Sabana was add a 2" memory foam pad to the stock pad. I got a mattress cover to keep them together. Works wonders. And not only does this all fit under the travel cover, but there's room for the sleeping bags as well. (*)
(*) I did do a serious upgrade to the binding straps, as well as the travel cover straps. But this has little to do with everything fitting...

meental

Observer
Looking for 2 of these. See attached pic. They are sold out directly from Tepui. If you have 2 extra, let me know ASAP. While transfering the tent from my Dodge to my Disco, I misplaced them. Going camping in 2 weeks.

BTW, any of you know if a different brand bracket fit the channel?

View attachment 331204
http://tepuitents.com/collections/spare-parts/products/mounting-bracket-set-1
I believe they are the same as CVT, at least they look identical to the ones on my CVT.

Sent from my rooftop tent while stargazing

Kevin108

Explorer
Looking for 2 of these. See attached pic. They are sold out directly from Tepui. If you have 2 extra, let me know ASAP. While transfering the tent from my Dodge to my Disco, I misplaced them. Going camping in 2 weeks.

BTW, any of you know if a different brand bracket fit the channel?

View attachment 331204
http://tepuitents.com/collections/spare-parts/products/mounting-bracket-set-1

They look identical to what came with my Smittybilt. Take some measurements and I can confirm. It is said that a majority of the various RTTs come from the same Chinese manufacturer, so it's quite likely that the parts are interchangeable.

I use a good quality backpackers/ground camper air mat over my stock mattress. There are many brands out there that will work and even a few brands that are much better than what I use. They are thin, I add air to get a just right comfort under my bedding. My RTT doesn't have a condensation mat under the mattress and by using the air mat I don't get condensation underneath. I have a dog that sleeps in my tent so the ability to have a easily cleanable non absorbent mat that also protects the mattress below is another plus. I just open the valve and fold the tent with my bedding and it deflates and is ready to go next time. Everyone is different but my sleeping in the RTT is as good as it gets anywhere for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ljrunner05

Adventurer
That's not a bad idea grnhornet! I'll look into that. I has just about to order this: Link

Even if it won't fold up with it in the tent, I can always roll it up and store it in the trailer.

aausmana

Adventurer
f24cb69b1c9fe8e808c820e45c6c2ce4.jpg

In the spirit of capitalism, I will always post the bad with the good. Anyone going through these threads should be able to find unbiased info to choose the right RTT. the above pic is a bolt I noticed has backed out after the second use (5th or 6th time opening it to show people)

That being said,
I'll GLADLY live with a stupid bolt I can tighten for this:

90a05b413bdd5042f7c33d846482831d.jpg

It's 40 degrees out right now and 87 in the tent. I now understand what the term happy camper means.
Another win for Tepui in my books. I love this thing.
Used a tent heater of course, but my old conventional tent never got near this warm ever using the same heater. I feel like this is cheating to to say I'm camping .

What tent heater are you using?

Box Rocket

They look identical to what came with my Smittybilt. Take some measurements and I can confirm. It is said that a majority of the various RTTs come from the same Chinese manufacturer, so it's quite likely that the parts are interchangeable.
These particular parts are likely interchangeable. However, it's a common misconception that all the tents coming from China are made in the same factory with different logos slapped on them. There are literally dozens of factories in China that are now manufacturing tents, many of which use the same basic designs. But it's important to note that there is a very wide range of materials used as well as quality. And that can also be the case for a factory that is producing tents for two different companies in the same facility. Bottom line is all RTT's are not created equal. There have even been cases of material grade/weight not being what is advertised. There are still a lot of great tent options out there, just do your homework and pick the one best suited for your needs that will give you quality and durability.
If you've followed Tepui for any amount of time you'll know that they are consistently the first to innovate and bring new ideas and designs etc to market. The Ruggedized models are one example, and there are other companies now doing their own versions. The weather hoods are another example. There are some new exciting things currently in the works at Tepui that will once again bring innovation and top quality to the market soon.

ljrunner05

Adventurer
My new 2 inch pad just came in for my tent! I can't wait to try it out! If only it wasn't 35 degrees outside and sleeting...

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I don't use "PADS", i'm an old "Air Mattress" camper and I need the 6"-8" of air cushion-

I've used a lotta different types and the best so far is
Tepui-Lightspeed%20mnattress%20001_zpsecri5mvo.jpg

Tepui-Lightspeed%20mnattress%20003_zpsnu95eqlo.jpg

The LightSpeed is multi chambered and has "Isolated Movement", so when one of you moves---the other doesn't noticeit-very strong/comercial-

I leaveit in the RTT, but I have to remove the "O" degree "dual" sleeping bag--too bulky-

Whatever

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger