Tepui Tent RTT

Explorer0863

Adventurer
I responded in the other thread about your ladder. let me know if you need other help.

Adam, what other thread? I'm having a similar problem with the ladder of my Gran Savannah and woulk like to read your reply. The left side lock is not consistently working. Thanks!

F40

Adventurer
FINALLY picked up an Autana. Love this thing. Took it out for a trial run to camp out for a local REI garage sale. Extremely confortable and cant wait to get it out in the back countrty. Only issue I have had is getting the ladder to lock in place properly. Sent Tepui an email and wating to hear back. Hoepfully I can get this resolved quickly.

Tepui_zpsyny1zqrh.jpg

Think I saw your truck there, PV REI last Friday?

Box Rocket

Adam, what other thread? I'm having a similar problem with the ladder of my Gran Savannah and woulk like to read your reply. The left side lock is not consistently working. Thanks!

This one:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-RTTs-and-Accessories**?p=2048648#post2048648
If you have a failing locking tab, that could be a different issue. If you suspect that is what you're dealing with, send an email to warranty@tepuitents.com with a description and a photo or two and it may be covered with your warranty.

Explorer0863

Adventurer
Foam Pad

One of the first things I did to my Tepui Gran Sabana was add a 2" memory foam pad to the stock pad. I got a mattress cover to keep them together. Works wonders. And not only does this all fit under the travel cover, but there's room for the sleeping bags as well. (*)
(*) I did do a serious upgrade to the binding straps, as well as the travel cover straps. But this has little to do with everything fitting...

Hey Rip!
I hope all is well. I have the same RTT model that you have and experienced the same issue that some people here are describing with the mattress. Could you provide more details about your 2" memory foam pad and the mattress cover?

BTW, I received the brackets just in time for our trip this past weekend. Muchas gracias! Here is a picture of us test fitting the tent for the 1st time on the Disco after I had to fabricate the front crossbar to support the tent. This roof rack is not designed for an RTT, but after the modification, it worked. We went to Toro Negro Forest up in the mountains.

Disco2_RTT_1.JPG

Disco2_Da Juana.jpg

stingray1300

Explorer
Hey Rip!
I hope all is well. I have the same RTT model that you have and experienced the same issue that some people here are describing with the mattress. Could you provide more details about your 2" memory foam pad and the mattress cover?

BTW, I received the brackets just in time for our trip this past weekend. Muchas gracias! Here is a picture of us test fitting the tent for the 1st time on the Disco after I had to fabricate the front crossbar to support the tent. This roof rack is not designed for an RTT, but after the modification, it worked. We went to Toro Negro Forest up in the mountains.

Hi Tony, so, you found out the shortcomings of the stock mattress, eh? I found it the first time I test flew the tent in the driveway...
Anyway, I found my 2" memory foam mattress pad on overstock.com ($75 shipped!). For my Gran Sabana I ordered a California ("Western") King size. Fit just right (about 4" back from each edge of the stock pad). So, I could tell that the memory foam pad wasn't going to fit into the supplied cover. So I Googled "mattress pad covers", and found a moisture resistant Cal King cover that fit a 6" thick mattress pad. I keeps both the stock pad and the memory foam pad together nicely, just stuff them in the new cover (a real PITA!) and zip the cover closed - Done!
I had been asked why I just didn't get a 4" memory foam pad. 2 reasons: 1- They are NOT light. Even the 2" is about 40#. 2-Memory foam pads don't give all that much support, unless they are really thick.
I also added a heat-reflective survival blanket under the mattresses for cold weather camping. I think it helps a tiny bit.
HTH!

ljrunner05

Adventurer
Hey Rip!

The first night in my Autana Sky was pretty uncomfortable for my wife and I. I quickly ordered this 2 inch mattress: Link

My first night with this as a topper was incredible. I slept like a baby, probably better than at home. I also went with the 2 inch but unlike stingray I don't have a mattress cover for it yet. I just used a fitted sheet and tucked the edges. 2 inch is thin enough to fold up in the tent, and that was the deciding factor for me.
IMG_0983.jpg
IMG_0986.jpg

Box Rocket

The first night in my Autana Sky was pretty uncomfortable for my wife and I. I quickly ordered this 2 inch mattress: Link

My first night with this as a topper was incredible. I slept like a baby, probably better than at home. I also went with the 2 inch but unlike stingray I don't have a mattress cover for it yet. I just used a fitted sheet and tucked the edges. 2 inch is thin enough to fold up in the tent, and that was the deciding factor for me.
View attachment 337706
View attachment 337707
Thanks for sharing your solution. Mattresses are tricky, what is comfortable for one person is not for another, just like the mattresses on your bed at home. I sleep very comfortably on the Tepui mattress and most of the people I know do as well, but I get questions occasionally about how to improve it by people that don't find it comfortable enough. It's good to see what people are trying and having success with so that I can make good suggestions.
Oh and by the way, have you seen the new sheet sets that Tepui is selling? They are custom fit for the mattress in the tent. The fitted sheet might even fit over both your memory foam and Tepui mattress together. If not it will definitely fit over the memory foam. I used the sheets for the first time last weekend and it was really nice. Not sure I'll want to use a sleeping bag again. They will have a sage color available soon as well.
http://tepuitents.com/products/kukenam-autana-wedgewood-blue-tent-sheets

kevinrx7

Observer
Good to know the sheets are being made in sage green. The sheet set is at the top my birthday wish list, which is at the end of may. I've been prodding my wife to order a set before they run out but I will probably tell her to hold off for the green. It will be nice to have a set that matches the tent. Do you have a guesstimate on release date ? I'm not a fan of sleeping bags and have always used King sized sheets tucked in, just because that's what we have around. Really looking forward to sheets that fit.

Sent from my USCC-E6762 using Tapatalk

Box Rocket

Good to know the sheets are being made in sage green. The sheet set is at the top my birthday wish list, which is at the end of may. I've been prodding my wife to order a set before they run out but I will probably tell her to hold off for the green. It will be nice to have a set that matches the tent. Do you have a guesstimate on release date ? I'm not a fan of sleeping bags and have always used King sized sheets tucked in, just because that's what we have around. Really looking forward to sheets that fit.

Sent from my USCC-E6762 using Tapatalk

I don't have a release date yet, just know that they are in the works. I'll keep tabs on it and post up dates as soon as I can.

Dragos28

Adventurer
Due to my spirited off road driving I had to reinforce my RTT rack and the RTT rail attachments. I almost lost the RTT on my last trip, it was being held on by just two bolts.

attachment.php

Instead of two rails, i went with four.

attachment.php

Mounted

attachment.php

attachment.php

Ready to hit the dirt!

attachment.php

Attachments

• d1e7fcc79b35c69cfbeb1260d035f0d1.jpg
    d1e7fcc79b35c69cfbeb1260d035f0d1.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 704