Testing the Freewheel Clutch Switch (Mitsubishi)

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
BACKGROUND:
Ever since I picked up my Montero Sport 3 years ago, I have had the flashing 4wd light and occasional ABS light. I never worried about it because my 4WD system and brakes both worked. However, I am now ready to finally fix the flashing lights.

Here is what my lights do. In 2wd, the 4wd light flashes 90% of the time. When I shift to 4hi, the 4wd light comes on constantly and it goes into 4hi. When I shift to 4lo, the light remains on, most of the time (sometimes it goes away) and it goes into 4lo. Randomly after braking the ABS light will come on and remain on the rest of the drive, until I shut the engine off.

The first thing I did was pull the codes off the ABS ECU. I got codes 25 and 26. Code 25 is 4wd detection switch and 26 is the freewheel clutch switch. Today I disconnected the freewheel clutch switch and jumpered across it with a paperclip to complete the circuit.

QUESTION:
With the freewheel clutch switch plugged in, the green, 4WD light flashes constantly. As soon as I unplug it, the light turns off. When I jumper it with the paperclip, the light starts flashing again. Is that an indication of a faulty switch or does it point to something else?

I am also going to test the Freewheel clutch control solenoid tomorrow. I read that you can test them by measuring the resistance between the two terminals on each solenoid. If they are good they should read between 36-46 ohms.

The below parts are the ones I am going to test and I will replace them as needed. I have already inspected the tubing and can't find any issues with the vacuum lines.

MR953809 - Freewheel Clutch Switch
MR263723 - Freewheel Clutch Control Solenoid
MB811554 - 4WD Detection Switch
MB886426 - Hi-Low Detection Switch

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
Today I tested the freewheel clutch control solenoids. The back one measured 38 ohms. Perfect. The front one had no connection. I had another freewheel clutch solenoid that I had picked up at the junkyard a while back so I tested that one and on that one it was the opposite, the back had no connection and the front measured 50 ohms (a little out of spec but better then nothing). So I swapped the front solenoid and so far it seems to be fixed. I drove it to work today and had no flashing light. I moved it into 4hi and the solid light came one. I moved it to 4lo and the solid remained. I moved it back into 2wd and the light went away. I didn't have the ABS light turn on at all. I tried to pull the ABS ECU codes But there weren't any. We will see if anything changes over the next couple of days but so far it seems to be fixed!

luishombre

Any pictures of the solenoid.

Today I tested the freewheel clutch control solenoids. The back one measured 38 ohms. Perfect. The front one had no connection. I had another freewheel clutch solenoid that I had picked up at the junkyard a while back so I tested that one and on that one it was the opposite, the back had no connection and the front measured 50 ohms (a little out of spec but better then nothing). So I swapped the front solenoid and so far it seems to be fixed. I drove it to work today and had no flashing light. I moved it into 4hi and the solid light came one. I moved it to 4lo and the solid remained. I moved it back into 2wd and the light went away. I didn't have the ABS light turn on at all. I tried to pull the ABS ECU codes But there weren't any. We will see if anything changes over the next couple of days but so far it seems to be fixed!

I just want to know which one is the front and which one is the back. Thanks!

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
I will try to get a picture for you. They are located on the inner fender well under the air cleaner housing. By the back one, I meant the one closest to the firewall, or the back of the car. And by the front one I meant the one closest to the front of the car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998