Texas overlanding anyone?

tatanka48

don't forget to investigate the Big Bend Ranch SP which is just west of the NP

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/big-bend-ranch

crowds are thick in the NP during any/all holidays and dealing w/ the neophytes can be daunting to say the least

knot2 mention camp sites are at a premium and the wind is shifting when it comes to wilderness camping in NP's

i've camped n done the NP on 2-wheels a Jeep Wrangler and in a VW Thing and it really is a great place to do and see

my friends who did the SP in 2wd-3 wheelers(Urals) showed me their pics making me really sad i missed that trip

y'all have fun y'hear

T

lilkia

Are the majority of the roads, trails in the NP and SP doable in a 4x4 2500 suburban? Ive got a good bit of clearance, little more than the z71 half ton but its still a suburban. Can you see a good bit on mostly fire roads or two track? Or do you need to cover more technical rocks and ledges?

Last edited:

Kingsize24

Good to know. Thanks for the info!

don't forget to investigate the Big Bend Ranch SP which is just west of the NP

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/big-bend-ranch

crowds are thick in the NP during any/all holidays and dealing w/ the neophytes can be daunting to say the least

knot2 mention camp sites are at a premium and the wind is shifting when it comes to wilderness camping in NP's

i've camped n done the NP on 2-wheels a Jeep Wrangler and in a VW Thing and it really is a great place to do and see

my friends who did the SP in 2wd-3 wheelers(Urals) showed me their pics making me really sad i missed that trip

y'all have fun y'hear

T

Jday14

Are the majority of the roads, trails in the NP and SP doable in a 4x4 2500 suburban? Ive got a good bit of clearance, little more than the z71 half ton but its still a suburban. Can you see a good bit on mostly fire roads or two track? Or do you need to cover more technical rocks and ledges?

The ledge on Black Gap will be iffy, but the rest of the roads shouldn't be an issue. FWIW, I drove Black Gap yesterday in an F250 with 35s.IMG_4070.PNG

Tex68w

Beach Bum
If you cleared the ledge with those factory steps hanging down and you didn't obliterate them then it shouldn't be too much trouble for most of the vehicles here. Thanks for sharing the pic, looks like fun.

andy29847

Adventurer
Big Bend rocks! I've been in Feb and in April. April was much nicer. The winter weather is unpredictable. Anything from 90 degrees to snow is possible. The dirt roads in the parks are mapped on the park handouts. They are all OK for overlanders (read Landcruiser) except for Black Gap Rd. Black Gap has the ledge, the wash, a hill climb, and a skinny spot. Low riders might find trouble or pinstripes along the way. Here is a 2018 ride report: https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/big-bend-again-it-was-better-than-ever.189812/

Jday14

If you cleared the ledge with those factory steps hanging down and you didn't obliterate them then it shouldn't be too much trouble for most of the vehicles here. Thanks for sharing the pic, looks like fun.

The driver side step was about 3/4” from being obliterated lol

VisualUniverse

Observer
Since BBNP is so far away from anything, traffic and crowds are usually low. Sunsets are amazing. Great remote camping. In my opinion, Camp Chilicotal campsite offers the best scenery of all remote sites.

Some photos from my past trips:

Camp Rice Tank

Sunset views

Old Ore Rd

PGW

Observer
Back in December 2015 I did a solo trip to Big Bend in my old Jeep - first a week in the state park, and then a week at the national park (and then a week in New Mexico). I originally was going to the national park first, but the state park would be closed the following week for public hunts so I had to flip the schedule. Something to definitely take into consideration in the winter, check the state park for hunts. The state park definitely had the rougher roads but all in all it is not too bad. I've been to Moab and a lot of Colorado and Big Bend isn't anything like that.

One word of warning about the state park is the pinstriping your vehicle will get. My Jeep is somewhat narrow and the paint really took a beating at the state park. I can only imagine what my Yukon would look like after a trip there.

Here are some of my favorite camps from the trip:

Guale Mesa in the state park, this was probably the top camp spot of my trip:
P1050810.JPG

P1050833.JPG

Las Burras 3 in the state park:
P1060590.JPG

P1060669.JPG

Tascate in the state park was pretty interesting too:
P1060785.JPG

P1060815.JPG

La Posta in the state park was pretty good too:
P1070176.JPG

P1070209.JPG

Pine Canyon 5 in the national park:
P1070349.JPG

P1070365.JPG

Rattlesnake mountain in the national park:
P1080059.JPG

P1080068.JPG

Fresno 1 in the national park was one of the best ones. Only a short walk from Mariscal Mine too.
P1080534.JPG

P1080533.JPG

IMG_3869.JPG

Really most of the camps in this area are pretty damn good, most are in pretty open spaces so keep that in mind.

lilkia

Thanks for the input guys. Trying to convince the wife we should go. Were planning a relocation back east soon so lots of packing and reduction, she's pregnant, and we have 3 dogs that need to ride along so its an uphill battle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears