Texas to Alaska to Texas. 2020 Honda Accord Hybrid driving on the Dalton Highway and the Dempster Highway. July/August 2023.

I spent the night in Wiseman, AK in a nice small motel. I got it because it was cheaper than the hotels in Coldfoot, AK, which was 13 miles away. I had a restful night and met some older folks who told me a lot about their own trip of floating the rivers near Coldfoot.
smuRNqm.jpg

LQ9B8Cx.jpg

JN7eEfO.jpg

zYvWw3W.jpg

I had a restful sleep and woke up the next day refreshed. I did not know I was going to have a very long and interesting day. First order of the day was to go and get gas in Coldfoot and then complete the Daltpn Highway while taking some memorable pictures.
I tool these pictures after getting gas yesterday morning in Coldfoot.
kcQRNeD.jpg

So many solo bikers on this road
X6PSjn0.jpg

WWUuX0P.jpg

WWUuX0P.jpg

Skw09TE.jpg

TNUHqX6.jpg

And then on to the Dalton I went.
"Roller Coaster". The area where truckers go down the hill very fast to get enough momentum to go up the other end. This spot is nick named the Roller Coaster.
yQdXySO.jpg

And more pictures as I stopped randomly.
gICByII.jpg

jGarhaG.jpg

JB, a pipe inspector, stopped when he saw me and asked if I had any mechanical issues. I told him no and thanked him. He spent like 15 minutes talking with me before he left.
fFfbG3m.jpg

30GtgR2.jpg

And this was my last picture on the Dalton Highway. I call it my exit picture from the Dalton Highway.
2pSVmWR.jpg

Last edited:
I was supposed to sleep in Fairbanks, but I called and canceled my hostel. They told me it was too late and I would lose the money. I said no problem. I stopped and got gas in Fairbanks and was on my way towards Dawson City, not knowing that the Canadian border would be closed by the time I got there and I would end up sleeping in my car from 8pm until 9am the next day when the Canadian border reopens.
I got on the freeway, and the first quick stop was the North Pole to see Santa.
TfdytzS.jpg

1JGYkG6.jpg

8crw3H0.jpg

sabxQ4f.jpg

iNbsQKc.jpg

eNGU3rU.jpg

The next stop was Chicken, AK, where they told me I was too late and that the border was closed. Well, I was sad but took pictures and continued the last 1 hour drive to the border where I saw the gate closed and others sleeping in their cars. The time was about 10 pm. I spent a good 30 minutes or more taking pictures and walking around because I was not sleepy at all. Then I got into my car and was able to fall asleep until 5 am when I woke up. The border opens at 8 am.
HMOJXBt.jpg

vk2gEQh.jpg

1Da9vaj.jpg

iCo3T7T.jpg

vjgv7Z5.jpg

wQLtJHM.jpg

Instead of going to sleep, I spent my time taking pictures and walking around.
LK4SP4h.jpg

dcRkogO.jpg

k5XYzSD.jpg

I finally parked my car here and went to sleep
yNNAuxu.jpg

I woke up at 5 am and drove 2 miles to the border and was first at 6 am. I stayed there until 8 am. By that time, this couple pulled up behind me, and we started having a conversation until the gates were opened.
HInAKn5.jpg

Last edited:
I got into Canada and started the Top of the World Highway. It was a very beautiful but scary drive down to Dawson City. There is a lot of loose gravel. Be careful, or you will lose control of your vehicle and can have a very bad accident.
ls4tPFc.jpg

laCCUTN.jpg

j9gs50c.jpg

I enjoyed doing the Dalton Highway, but my car took a serious beating on that road. So much so that I have decided to skip the Dempster Highway. I talked to a few people by the sign who said the road is in good condition, but there is a lot of dust. The journey is longer than that of the Dalton Highway, especially since you have to wait to use 2 ferries to keep on going. Well, my car is filthy dirty from the Dalton Highway, and I had a flat tire. The good thing is I already have a budget to buy 4 brand new tires when I get back home for my car since my tires were getting close to needing replacement. I just went to the sign to take pictures and drove about 5 miles in and back. Those 5 miles were super easy and fast.
BK3u0Cn.jpg

VrmF4Wj.jpg

ANQFHfE.jpg

Later on this evening or say night, I we.t around taking random pictures of the colorful buildings here in Dawson City.
9zH0P4B.jpg

87P2gBS.jpg

ER25HaN.jpg

r0F7geZ.jpg

K0rZNVZ.jpg

WjVkjIt.jpg

To see the whole of Dawson City, you drive up Dome road to the Dome.
b6oyEnA.jpg

6GGlSn0.jpg

y6eIdRE.jpg

Last edited:

ITTOG

From there, I went to get my flat tire repaired. They told me it would be $225 to repair my tire. After I collapsed and woke up, I asked to speak to the boss. The guy took me to the boss. I pleaded my case about the cost and my tire, and he was nice to let my tire be repaired for $100.

Did they explain why it was so expensive?

checkmate

Awesome pictures, thanks for posting.

A lot of people say the dempster is actually better than the dalton, I think I would have powered through being right there. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Did they explain why it was so expensive?
They said basically because it was in Deadhorse, AK. Everything is very expensive there. The rate they charge when their tire technician is working on your tire is $100 an hour. He was estimating it would take him more than an hour to fix my tire, but it took him less than an hour to fix it.

Man, you are a driving machine. Congrats on making it to Deadhorse.

It is awesome that the truckers stopped to help. Did you ask if this is something that always happens on the Dalton? I am very curious about the history of this.
I did not ask them that particular question, but it seems that is something they do often. That is help anybody on the side of the road.

I had a deja vu experience today. After about 30 minutes of driving after leaving Dawson City, I was on a straight stretch of road. I got a glimpse of someone pulling his cart with a small Japanese flag on it. It immediately hit me that I have seen something like this before. Yes, that is how I met Michael on the side of the road walking. This guy was different. I passed him and made a u-turn and came back.

I introduced myself and said I just stopped to say hi and find out about his journey. He immediately took out his cellphone and started recording us and everything we were talking about, and then he asked me to say something to the viewers. I did. He told me he has a page on Instagram and took my number that he will text it to me. I do not have Instagram to find him.

He told me his name is Sushi. He is Japanese. His English was not perfect, but we could communicate well enough.

He told me he flew from Japan to Alaska so he could achieve his goal of walking from the top of America to the bottom tip of Argentina. He told me that the journey would take him about 3 years to complete.

He landed in Alaska and flew to Deadhorse, AK. That is where he told me he started walking from. He is on his way to the bottom most part of Argentina.

I was lost for words. I asked him if he really plans to walk for 3 years? He told me yes. I wished him the best on his journey, and I gave him some money to support him.
m8Uwh3C.jpg

P5W2xvS.jpg

kxHdX6x.jpg

He asked me to take a picture of his Instagram page just in case I could access it. It's all in Japanese, so I can not read it.
YlHQvB9.jpg

Then I bid him farewell as I was taking off. Last goodbye 👋
GY1wNU2.jpg

tlrols

I got into Canada and started the Top of the World Highway. It was a very beautiful but scary drive down to Dawson City. There is a lot of loose gravel. Be careful, or you will lose control of your vehicle and can have a very bad accident.
ls4tPFc.jpg

laCCUTN.jpg

j9gs50c.jpg

I enjoyed doing the Dalton Highway, but my car took a serious beating on that road. So much so that I have decided to skip the Dempster Highway. I talked to a few people by the sign who said the road is in good condition, but there is a lot of dust. The journey is longer than that of the Dalton Highway, especially since you have to wait to use 2 ferries to keep on going. Well, my car is filthy dirty from the Dalton Highway, and I had a flat tire. The good thing is I already have a budget to buy 4 brand new tires when I get back home for my car since my tires were getting close to needing replacement. I just went to the sign to take pictures and drove about 5 miles in and back. Those 5 miles were super easy and fast.
BK3u0Cn.jpg

VrmF4Wj.jpg

ANQFHfE.jpg

Later on this evening or say night, I we.t around taking random pictures of the colorful buildings here in Dawson City.
9zH0P4B.jpg

87P2gBS.jpg

ER25HaN.jpg

r0F7geZ.jpg

K0rZNVZ.jpg

WjVkjIt.jpg

To see the whole of Dawson City, you drive up Dome road to the Dome.
b6oyEnA.jpg

6GGlSn0.jpg

y6eIdRE.jpg
Sounds like the Dalton is presently rougher than the Dempster. I just did the Dempster with no issues although there are sporadic fires near it.

This has been a cool journey to follow. I have to admit, a Honda Accord would not have been the first vehicle I’d pick for this adventure, but it’s cool to see how well it’s done.
My Honda Accord is my one and only vehicle right now. I made sure it would handle what I would throw at it before embarking on this journey. It has truly been a trooper! The main downside about it is that I am not very comfortable in the driver seat like I was in my 2008 Maxima or my 2012 Infiniti QX. Well, I can not compare it to my QX because my QX was a luxury suv, and the seats were very comfortable.

Other than that, the Accord's best quality is the amazing gas mileage it gets. It has a 12.8 gallons gas tank but it easily gets 500 miles to the tank. My former gas guzzler, my 2012 Infiniti QX, had a 26 gallons gas tank, but that could give me only 370 miles per tank of premium fuel. The Accord has saved me so much money on gas on this trip and since I bought it.

Using the Accord is also to let others know that just use what you have. You do not have to wait to buy a fancy vehicle to go out and travel.

On this trip, I have met people traveling on foot, on bicycles, on motorcycles, in cars, in suvs, in camper vans, and all other kinds of luxurious means of traveling.

Let some people not be influenced by how fancy other peoples cars look or by all the new cars and gadgets on social media. Get what you can afford and enjoy yourself. Live within your means and avoid debt as much as possible. The same goes with life. Try not to keep up with others. Do you within your means. The main goal is to live YOUR best life (enjoy yourself) but avoid getting into debt as much as possible.

Steve and Lynne first noticed my car when I happened to be driving in front of them in Glacier National Park. Since my car looked unique to them, they had a conversation about it and then I guess they stopped and I went away. Later that day I met them randomly at a gas station at the entrance of the park where my car was not in sight for them to know I was the one driving the car they were talking about earlier.

We struck up a conversation and it was nice getting to know each other. Steve disappeared for a minute and came back with a big ice cream for me. I thanked him and enjoyed eating the ice cream. I told them I was blogging about my trip and so we exchanged numbers and I sent them a link to my blog.

Steve kept in touch with me and enjoys reading my blog. One day, he contacted me and told me that if I am coming through his city, they can host me for the night. Well, I contacted him and said I will be passing through his town and wanted to know if that offer was still available. He said, “Sure. Come on over. We will prepare a room for you, a meal for you and you will park your car in our garage so that it is safe.”

Yesterday, I took the long drive to visit them, and they were the most hospitable people ever. They kept in touch with me during the trip to make sure I was safe, and sound and I got there safe and sound. They showed me to the room they had prepared for me in their house, and then they gave me a small tour of their very beautiful home. We all sat at the island in the kitchen as Lynne made me a yummy dinner. We spent the time talking in the kitchen and getting to know a lot more about each other. We talked for some time until it was bedtime, where I went and had a very restful sleep. The next day, which was today, I woke up early, took a shower and got ready quickly, to leave for another long drive. They made me breakfast and packed me a lunch bag for the long drive of today. We said our goodbyes and I thanked them a lot for inviting me; a complete stranger, into their house. It was a very unique experience, indeed!

Thanks a lot Steve and Lynne.
gwh24Lw.jpg

Last edited:
I have some pictures that I wanted to add that were some cool experiences during my trip.

Deadhorse
I wanted to sleep in my car but I got very cold that I decided to get a hotel room. I tried the first place, and they were sold out. I called the next hotel, and they wanted $175 for the room for the night. I made sure to negotiate because I told them I was barely going to stay the night. They accepted $100 cash. I went there and it was a great experience since they showed me to their cafeteria and said food was free and I can eat as much as I wanted. Well, I did exactly that before going to bed and did the same thing in the morning before I left.
This hotel was sold out
TotFzYH.jpg

I slept at this hotel, which offered free unlimited food. I made sure to participate.
2GLV1If.jpg

7BIHFPT.jpg

SIpG9vw.jpg

The price of gas in Deadhorse was surprisingly cheaper than the price in Coldfoot
UpFhaTz.jpg

Dawson City
I really liked the design of the hotel here and how colorful the building was. I had a very simple room and this is the cheapest hotel in town. They have shared bathrooms. 4 showers next to each other for male and female. 4 toilets next to each other for male and female. The good thing is that you can go into your shower and lock the door to that shower. But you are next to each other as you shower or use the toilet. To brush your teeth and use the sink, there are 4 sinks, and you stand there next to a female or a male since it is a mixed shared restroom.
POefrYC.jpg

OinHFQa.jpg

H6Zbril.jpg

Swift River, Yukon
The most interesting hotel I have ever stayed at was in Swift Tiver, Yukon. It is called the Continental Divide Lodge. It is kind of in the middle of nowhere. I was driving on my way back on the Alaska Highway and had gotten really tired. I saw this place online and called ahead, and they said they had rooms available. You can check yourself in and pay the next day. It is an honor system after they close. They just leave the keys to the rooms there and the rooms unlocked. You come and choose your own room and the next day you pay at the front desk as from 8am. If you are leaving the hotel before 8am, they count on you to be honest to leave your credit card information so they can charge you. Here are pictures of everything.
dkBv5hf.jpg

S1StJli.jpg

g2fmMbe.jpg

17cAlF8.jpg

All the rooms at the hotel stay open until a customer chooses a room and a key. Some of the rooms have shared bathrooms between 2 rooms. When using the restroom, you lock the other person's access door. When done, you unlock their latch, and you go into your own room and lock your own access door to the restroom.
ywSp9j1.jpg

TYK1hik.jpg

uwG8yiB.jpg

Along the Alska Highway after leaving The Continental Divide Lodge, there were a lot of these mountain goats eating salt from the roads. This was near the whole area of Muncho Lake. Almost every curve, you would see them.
XZJkcbT.jpg

zaOpqd9.jpg

hwzo2kJ.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior