Texas to Rte 66, Death Valley NP, Sequoia NP, Yosemite NP, Lake Tahoe, Loneliest Road in America, Glacier NP, Canada, Yellowstone NP, Grand Teton NP

billiebob

My parents did this in the1940s, ferry to Vancouver, buy a new Ford. LA, Key West, Washington, see all the monuments... Vancouver, sell the Ford and go back to Ocean Falls. Long before roads were paved.

hm 0035.jpg

Last edited:
@PetitFrereArmada
Click on this thread hoping to learn of camping spots or BLM use but this turned out way better than imagined!
Wow, I just want to say this thread is amazing and your documentation is top notch! I'm looking to do a very similar trip in my Tundra I've built to camp in and see the country. Show's you can travel the country with just the necessities and have a fantastic time!
I always love seeing a 4 wheeler with a CB antenna on the back; as a Cannonball and road rally participant myself... doing long, multiple days in the car is an absolute joy and not many can handle it when I travel.
Would love to chat further! If you are ever in the Northeast and need a place to stay for a night; doors open!

Taking a 2022 Spring Break Road Trip to Big Bend National Park and instead of making a thread, I just wanted to add it to this thread.

Trip: March 11 to March 16

Friday, March 11:
Leave at 9pm to drive 11 hours to Big Bend National Park

Saturday, March 12
Visit Chisos Basin
Sunrise pictures at the window (8am)
Visit Panther Junction at 8:30am when they open
Visit Rio Grande Visitor Center
Cross border into Boquillas at 10am (Border Crossing opens at 9am and closes at 4pm)
Visit boquillas, eat, take pictures and videos and buy souvenirs
Leave boquillas about 2pm
Drive to hotel to check in at 4pm since check in at hotel starts at 4pm
Eat BBQ at DB's Rustic (open 11am to 6pm)
May visit Terlingua airport for some sunset pictures
For dinner; Taqueria El Milagro (Open 4pm to 9pm) OR High Sierra Bar & Grill
Watch the stars outside hotel at night before bed

Sunday, March 13
Espresso Y Poco Mas for breakfast (Open 7:30am to 2pm)
May drive on Old Maverick Road if my car can make it
Drive on Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive to Santa Elena Canyon
Hike Santa Elena Canyon Overlook
Visit Castolon Store
Drive to Hot Springs Historic Area
Soak in Hot Springs
Hike Boquillas Canyon Trail
More scenic drives
Dinner at Starlight Theatre Restaurant
(open 5pm to 12midnight). Go early to make reservation to eat early!
Watch stars at night at hotel

Monday, March 14
Visit Big Bend Ranch State Park
Drive to Presidio. Stop at any beautiful Overlook along the way
Stop in Presidio to visit Fort Leaton State Historic Site
Drive to Marfa. Eat lunch.
Drive to visit Fort Davis National Historic Site
Drive to visit McDonald Observatory
Drive to visit Prada, TX
Visit Wyatt Ranches-Little Reata Division to see mural of movie set
Drive to Marfa Lights viewing area at sunset before it gets dark
Look for the Marfa lights
Drive back to Terlingua. Watch for animals crossing at night!

Tuesday, March 15
Drive around Big Bend National Park to visit anything you missed
Visit clear bubble at Basecamp Terlingua (take night or sunset drone pictures/videos)
Visit Tin Valley Retro Rentals (for night or sunset shots)
Eat at Bad Rabbit Cafe @Terlingua Ranch Lodge, which is next to Tin Valley Retro Rentals.

Wednesday, March 16
Use Hwy 90 to Del Rio to head back home to Houston
Visit Val Verde Winery for wine tasting when they open at 11am
May stop to see Lengthy and Judge Roy Bean's Courthouse, Whitehead Memorial Museum and Amistad National Recreation Area
Drive Home!

FAW3

Adventurer
I recently did BBNP and Old Maverick Road in late January 2022. Your Honda would be capable of doing MOST of Old Maverick Road without difficulty. There are some spots as I recall where you will have to pick your line very carefully if you can get by at all. At all times be cautious as one high rock will end your day. Conditions on that road change due to rain and traffic wear. For such a low vehicle...be prepared to stack rocks and have a shovel. Realize that the potential does exist that you will not be able to make it.

The bonus for trying is that coming North just a bit from the Rio Grande area the views back of the Santa Elena Canyon are wonderful.

If you want a decent pre-view...check on YT and search for Old Maverick Road Big Bend....several videos will give you a good orientation. There was one a while ago showing the results of someone who busted their oil pan...it does happen.

Wet conditions on that dirt completely changes the terrain - that mud is unbelievably slick, clogs tire treads and dries like concrete on your vehicle.

Really enjoy your travels and photos! Safe journey.

Last edited:
Starting odometer reading.
l8EIfjq.jpg

Trip map. Shows I will get there at 6:30am.
nRVKtT0.jpg

Very long and tiring drive last night. I got to Fort Stockton and saw an interesting looking Honda Civic. When the driver came out I asked him about his car and he said he uses it to chase storms. The car was very unique looking like something from a sci-fi movie. He told me more about his car amd that he built everything I see on it and it actually works to chase storms. I was impressed.
wATQuoA.jpg

V1jxgOo.jpg

I then finished pumping my gas and was on my way for the last leg of my drive to Big Bend NP. By now temperatures had dropped to 13 and it was very cold.
Ip2zigj.jpg

AA0AuK5.jpg

The whole drive was very fast and I got to the Big Bend NP entrance at 6:15am
Ocm3UrV.jpg

From there I drove to Panther Junction and sat there along with 2 other vehicles until day light. I toped off on gas and realized gas is the cheapest in the park at $4.292 a gallon for 87 unleaded.
When the sun started coming up, it was time to head to Chisos basin and I made a quick stop for this pic.
v8MOYZw.jpg

And a picture at the Window Trail.
WGqxNYr.jpg

After visiting that it was time to head to Boquillas Crossing to cross over to Mexico for breakfast/lunch.

Boquillas Crossing Port of Entry
ibeMnNo.jpg

5ZkdUXP.jpg

The Border Patrol gave us a little run down of everything to expect while over there and we were on our way. We borded the little boat and paid $5 a person for the round-trip. Then paid $10 each for a round-trip ride in a F150 to town to eat at Jose Falcon.
w1x9fEk.jpg

The food was really good. We enjoyed it and when we were done, I asked if they served any kind of dessert. They brought this thing that I do not remember what it is. I just know it was very good and I ate all of it and bought one more box to bring back to the US.
aYJuIil.jpg

VMUbpe4.jpg

u5fssor.jpg

Our visit to Boquillas was very good, but the cost was surprisingly high. We spent a total of $30 for transportation and $60 for food, dessert and tips. So, we spent a total of $90 for both of us going to Boquillas. We did not buy any souvenirs. We met a lot of other Americans in Boquillas and many more crossing over when we were leaving.

That town depends solely on the US for income to their 250 people who live there. So, if you can go support them, kindly go.

I was curious if I can take my drone and cross the border into Boquillas and fly there. I got my answer from both the US side and the Mexican side and this is the answer.

You can fly your drone there in Boquillas if you ask nicely, but you cannot fly your drone on the US side since it is the National Park. We all already know we cannot fly in National Parks.

I asked the US border patrol and she said I can take my drone over to Mexico, but make sure not to fly it into US air space while flying in Boquillas. Well, I was a bit worried about taking my drone over, so I did not take it. But I wish I took it to Boquillas, Mexico.

The people were so friendly and nice and said it is very ok to bring my drone and fly any time and tale pictures and videos. In fact, they even wished I had it with me so I could fly it and show them the pictures and videos.

Last edited:
Another nice day at Big Bend National Park. Sharing some pictures from today.
xjNkt1P.jpg

Welcome to Terlingua Ghost Town
xvibdQN.jpg

I drove by this and I liked how colorful it looked and I just had to take a picture of it.
5yZM4s0.jpg

Terlingua Historic Cemetry. This is a very popular attraction here in Terlingua and tons of tourists flood the cemetery walking around and reading tombstones.
Fbk6ygo.jpg

pOPEZKM.jpg

skVbznJ.jpg

Aerial view of the cemetery
4oYo8Rd.jpg

Famous Starlight Restaurant. Some aerial drone shots.
0Mqn4Md.jpg

IIviKby.jpg

hJ8LVPh.jpg

SgxalLv.jpg

And I decided to fly to see one of the bubbles and though it was really dark, my drone was able to get a decent picture of one bubble. I may try this again during the day.
9F142e2.jpg

The History of how the Starlight Restaurant became is written on the back of the menu. I just thought it is interesting and worth sharing the read.
yiwvig4.jpg

We had dinner and it was really good. The appetizer which was Brussel sprouts with pieces of bacon was really good and flavorful. I will have to cook this next week at home. As for my entree, I had Antelope burger with crispy sweet potato fries. You could taste how gamy the meat was, but it was really good. And the fries were on point.
jqwdljz.jpg

uvn4vT2.jpg

YH9XJM2.jpg

FB3ucgg.jpg

Last edited:
I saw this small airport which offers air tours around the Big Bend Area and went in to look at the planes. It was very interesting to see their runway is a dirt road. I just looked around, took some pics and was on my way.
3IOa07i.jpg

6orriYE.jpg

X0APNky.jpg

We went and hiked Santa Elena Canyon today. There was a long traffic to get into the park today. Also, a long traffic at Santa Elena Canyon to get a parking spot. Park Rangers were doing a great job controlling the flow of traffic to avoid congestion at the Santa Elena Canyon Trail parking lot.
On our way, we made a stop to see the Mule Ears.
EvT3XBm.jpg

fGN3lwd.jpg

BXTkGdE.jpg

Fallen rock towards end of hike
WqiwB3k.jpg

Walls on both sided at the end of the trail. One has some distinctive shades of golden colors and the oppisite side has rocks that seem to form a shape of a snake's head looking down on you. Just thought both walls across from each other looked very interesting.
CYWNz45.jpg

lZ1AAig.jpg

Made a stop at Castallon on our way out. Sad to see and read about the fire that happened here some years ago, but glad to see restoration is on its way and a new store has been built and is currently serving the park visitors.
tfVrl5K.jpg

FAW3

Adventurer
1: Boquillas dessert was "Sopapillas". Fried dough typically coated with cinnamon sugar and honey, sometimes augmented by ice cream or fruit. A real treat for sure.

2: You are visiting BBNP during spring break. The main herd of folks stick to the well-trod path. As your plans and vehicle permit visit or route to the more remote areas. Part of the beauty of BB is the isolation found in the remote areas, back country camping & hiking. Perhaps not something you can get to this visit...but I would bet that this trip's exposure to West Texas will draw you back again. I call this general area a "composite destination" where many unique and interesting, but geographically isolated, overlanding treasures can be found. There is so much to learn, see and enjoy...it is a very underrated overlanding destination region.

Yesterday we drove today from Big Bend State Park to Presidio. Then made an impromptu decision to drive across the border into Mexico using the Presidio border crossing for the first time. We went to look around and eat. We didn't do much of looking but found a restaurant and was impressed with the quality of the food and how affordable it was.
0a38wIT.jpg

The drive from Terlingua to Presidio on highway 170 is a very scenic and amazing drive. Rated one of the 10 best scenic drives across the nation. The road rises and drops and twists and turns as it follows the Rio Grande along the border of Texas and Mexico. There are many places to pull off the road to take in the draw-dropping views. I strongly recommend the drive.
Some pictures along the way to Presidio.
A stop at the location of the world chili cook-off.
Y6l9ONd.jpg

A stop at Hoodoos
Q4qlHzX.jpg

Crossing over to Mexico to eat
Myfdrfe.jpg

After that was a straight drive to Marfa. Random pics in Marfa.
JBI3HTB.jpg

70Y7jhc.jpg

uGkzssq.jpg

EMoBeox.jpg

oKtIzxg.jpg

y6I66Zr.jpg

zT4sEZM.jpg

EKreoBj.jpg

8t2VhmZ.jpg

fiI8OGL.jpg

FP7GNgK.jpg

And a picture at the Marfa lights viewing area. Some people were claiming to see the lights but others were telling them that is not the light. The place was very packed and very cold for a Monday night.
0vbdIVB.jpg

Last edited:
Last Day at Big Bend. Drove around and visited some more places while stopping a lot for some memorable pictures. Took a few videos too that I will see of I can post some time if I get to it.
w3iRDMi.jpg

yBGyjyf.jpg

Pg77zSg.jpg

Went offroading to the Hot Springs trail which was packed and full of people. The parking lot was full. Park Rangers were controlling the flow of traffic from the road. One car in, one car out.
b7VTlpl.jpg

kFmFthY.jpg

You find these for sale there. It is based on honor system. The people across the border come and set these on many trails for US citizens or say park visitors to come around and buy. Proces are listed. Pick what you want and drop the money in the jar. Though Park Rangers discourage people from buying, they are not confiscating the products which they say is illegally brought into the country. Oh well, good to see how some people pick up the goods and look it over, take some pictures with them and some buy and put the money in the jar.
JMkk7B8.jpg

ooc3MK7.jpg

L090mdJ.jpg

The Hot Springs. So full of people. Many people had to wait a while to get in to soak themselves in the hot water.
isegrDK.jpg

W9iR8W6.jpg

yzIp40t.jpg

PLWUl6W.jpg

C9FSLZK.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12