The “80% Done but Good Enough for Government Work” Build

The “80% Done but Good Enough for Government Work” Build

1995.5 FZJ-80 (OBD II)

Purchased in April of 2011 with 185,000 Miles
Currently 225,000

I have not done a particularly good job of documenting this build and the various iterations of this truck, nor has much of anything been planned. Some mornings I just wake up and think, i’m gonna build a bumper for the cruiser, or i’m gonna build some drawers like i’ve seen on expo and then I just do it. The quality is never great and the fit and finish leaves a lot to be desired, but for the most part it works for me and thats all that matters. I’m an 80% kinda guy.

I know im missing some details and images, I will try and fill in the gaps when I find them, this is the problem with waiting to start a thread.

In 2011 I purchased, what I thought of at the time was a pretty clean locked 1995 cruiser with a front ARB, that had a documented head gasket replacement, and some other decent records. The carpet had been replaced, the seat covers looked decent and other than a dent up front the thing looked to be in pretty good condition.

A carfax report showed 6 previous owners, which was a bit concerning at the time, but not enough to deter me, and the report showed no claims on the vehicle. Let just say carfax is useful to find out some basic information on a vehicle, but never trust it to get you anything close to the cars history. As with any used car purchase, when you start to find all the dumb or crazy things previous owners have done to a vehicle, sometimes you can’t help but scratch your head. Im sure if I ever sell this truck the buyer will think the same thing about all the stuff I have done to it.

At the time I was new to Cruisers, I had a 1991 toyota mini truck that I loved a lot and had learned a lot about fixing cars with. The more I learned about that truck, the more I knew I wanted a land cruiser.

Here is the truck the day I brought her home, more of less stock with the ARB.

I joined the local Austin Cruiser Club to try and learn as much as I could, outside of what I could gleam off expo and Mud and very quickly got to modifying it with no real goal or plan in mind other than I did not have the money to make it what I was seeing on expo, so I was just going to do the best I could.

I did all the normal maintenance that everyone recommended, PHH, baselined fluids, upgraded to the stock height OME suspension and added 285 BFG AT’s.

First order of business was to get the spare tire out from under the truck. I really liked the 4x4 labs bumper, but couldn't afford it at the time. Sean on Mud had a design that I really liked and seemed like it was manageable with my limited skills and attention span, you can see his original thread here.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/just-built-rear-bumper-swing-out-tire-carrier.404280/

Started off by cutting off about 6 inches off the rear frame, it is a scary feeling when that sawzall hits metal, but no turning back.

The basic form consists of a .25 inch 2x4 main tube, and 3/16 2x6 tube sides with Iron Pig spindles. Welded in a new .25 inch chanel rear cross member with an inset trailer hitch receiver, welded back face of the cross member and front and back face of the main 2x4 tube. Brackets are also ¼ inch and is bolted into every hole I could reach. I think there are 10 total.

New crossmember welded into the frame.

Form up.

I drove around with this bumper for a month or so and eventually came to the conclusion that it was just too bad, even by my standards. So I pulled it off and started over.

Version II of the bumper was much better planned and focused on getting the spindles and the swing out tire carrier on. For the most part this was straight forward other than my first tire placement covered my passenger brake light, so I had to cut it off and move the carrier arm about 6 inches to the drivers side.

Insetting the receiver.

No build is complete without some drama, and I had some of the drug cartel variety. During the local Austin Cruiser meeting DaveGonz commented how low my rear floor panel was under the cruiser. Being new to the vehicle I had not noticed, the spare tire carrier was still under there bolted up the way it should but sure enough he was right. Comparing my under floor to his showed mine to be about 5 inches lower than the other cruisers. Someone had welded in a false floor panel under the cruiser with a hinged access panel that had been welded and bondoed shut. The whole box was then caulked from both sides, the interior covered in duct tape and painted black. The worst part is that they took a saw to the gas filler tube to run it under the frame. It took me 2 weekends with the plasma and grinder to get most of the box out. Not wanting to spend the money Mr toyota wanted for a new gas filler tube assembly I had to reweld it back together in 3 places to get it back to the stock geometry. A major *** whipping.

False floor as i start to chip away the bondo covering the hinge panel.

Panel removed

Inside the box

Cutting out the box, you can just barely make out the rerouted gas filler neck under the frame.

Like many others my flares were starting to fall off in places and generally just started to look bad. I did lots of research on the flareless look and convinced myself that I liked it. Once again not wanting to spend the money on having it line-xed professionally I bought some Als liner from 4-wheel-parts and a drywall gun from harbor freight. I taped off the truck and started to weld up the fender flare holes, about ¼ through I got tired and gave up and put aluminum tape over the rest.

Last edited:
Im not sure what I did wrong mixing up the als liner, but I screwed it up big time. I did some test sprays on cardboard, that seemed ok, but I didn’t look at them long enough. I dont know why i continued to spray the truck after I realized what was going on, but i was in deep and decided not to stop (I dont always make the best decisions). Instead of maintaining the nice rough texture from the initial spray the liner started to drip and smear. It looked like I hired some neighborhood kids to come rub turds on the outside of the truck. From about 100 feet away it was passable, but anything closer than that was horrid. I drove it for one day thinking about how much I failed at life, and decided it had to go. After researching removing bedliners, and coming up with not a lot of great options, I opted for the hammer and chisel method. It took over 24 hours spread out over 4 days to chisel off the als liner. I felt like an idiot, I felt even worse when I drove down to the linex shop and forked over $850 bucks to have it sprayed right.

This is the only picture I have of the paint job, its blurry and far away, and honestly that was the only way it looked good, and this is coming from a guy who has no standards.

Sprayed right with linex.

Pics as I finished the swing out.

At some point along the line picked up a engo winch, which seemed like a good idea for a guy who had a non winch ARB bumper. Some shoddy angle grinding later and drilling mounting holes one a piece of 12” ¼ thick stock as a base I some how managed to shove the winch in there in a manner that didn’t seem like it would pull the front end of the truck off the first time I used it.

My next bad decision came from deciding to purchase a DIY rear drawer kit from Warfield offroad. My hard earned $500 bought me 2 pairs of drawer slides and 4 bent metal brackets for securing the drawers. No templates, no instructions, missing hardware, ect. After 2 months of emails I finally got some butcher paper templates, I cut my losses and went for it.

My woodworking skills are about on par with my welding skills. Just good enough to get sued by someone if I ever got paid to do work. But with ample amounts of gorilla glue and screws I had some working drawers. I carpeted the top deck, but of course left the drawers unfinished and without handles of months. They worked good enough for me at the time.

A few pics of a Elk hunting trip to Colorado I took with my dad that year camping out of the cruiser.

The drawers overtime got some paint on them and I ended up making handles out of a short axe and breaker bar and quick fists.

Eventually I hit 200k

I moved into a Casita trailer for 3 months after selling my house, the cruiser pulled it, but she wasn't happy about it.

I added a second battery and watt solar panel.

Added some headache racks via Land Cruiser Phil.

Took my first pilgrimage to overland Expo in 2013

Added and ARB Awning and Front Runner roof rack, which i proceeded to scrape on the roof of the parking garage at work.

Took some smaller trips around Texas.

Decided to take 5 months off work to hike the Pacific Crest Trail, packed everything I owned in the cruiser and parked it at my parents house for the summer.

The second battery system went through a second iteration in a front runner box that I thought I wanted to keep modular. I also mounted my ARB compressor inside. Even though I liked the modular design, the whole contraption just took up too much usable space in the truck.

Got done with the trail and back to work just in time to hit up overland east 2014, with my roommates motorcycles in tow. Cruiser pulled them, unhappily all the way to chattanooga and back.

Somewhere along the line I decided I wanted to get a motorcycle and picked up a brand new Honda CRF250L (first new vehicle I have ever bought). Now my dilemma became how do I haul this thing around. I know I hated towing trailers, and I didn't want to pay for one. Trailer hitch carriers seemed like an ok Idea, but they are flimsy and restricted me from getting into my drawers. I bought one anyway, but had other plans. With a quick trip to the steel yard and more bad ideas in my head I wanted to build a motorcycle carrier that fulfilled 2 criteria. It had to get out of the way of the back of the cruiser so that I could access the drawers, and It had to be easy enough for me to get the bike on and off the carrier myself, as my future travel plans had me mostly alone. I started with a hitch carrier on sale at cycle gear locally. Finally utilizing my other spindle and a harbor freight trailer jack wheel, I had some redneck engineering I was actually proud of. I now had 2-3 really strong attachment points rather than the single from the hitch carrier, and now had the ability to get into the back of the truck with the bike still mounted.

The original hitch mounted carrier.

My final iteration, started off differently than previous attempts. I actually started with a plan and measuring tape. I wanted to take the interior from more of a utility layout to a more livable layout as I was now gearing up for a 6-12 month trip through the states. I wanted the storage to be built around the front runner wolf pack boxes, have a good sized bed, and have access to most needed tools without having to get into the rear drawers. Planning helped establish my vision, but again the follow through left a lot to be desired. Not a square joint on this thing, but it works. A good layer of quiet crap as well.

The biggest issues with this setup is what to do with the fridge. Without pulling out the passenger seat the only place I could figure to get the fridge in anyplace i really liked it, so i settled for a sub par but workable location. I bought a 5 inch ikea foam mattress and cut out a corner to fit around the fridge.

All of this leads up today, my last week of work. I have quit my job (again) and next week will start driving west, for the indefinite future. Looking for a new place to live closer to public land and the mountains. Texas has always been my home, but its time for a change. I will post a link here of my trip report thread when I start it very soon.

Crowdad

That is awesome man. What did you end up doing with the battery system since you said it took up too much room?

BTW you should have posted some pictures of the Pacific Crest Trail.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Awesome! I do like your sleeping/storage platform. Different than most. Cool to see you did all this work yourself. Have fun out there!

Cheers

Awesome! I do like your sleeping/storage platform. Different than most. Cool to see you did all this work yourself. Have fun out there!

Cheers

Thanks, my old system was more utilitarian and similar to what you traditionally see. I was wasting a lot of space with double drawer slides and felt cramped sleeping. So i wanted to make a more livable space, larger bed, and the side wings for doing stuff inside the truck, like eating, working on my laptop etc. Also with the motorcycle on the back I needed to prioritize my storage, where emergency use items could be accessed without moving the bike, and keep mostly camp gear and less used items on the drawer platform.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger