The 2010 riding year - how was it?

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I imagine for many of you the riding season is getting pressed into seasonal retirement with the onset of winter. The days are getting shorter, temps cooler, and some of you probably can't see your trails anymore.

So, how was it? Did your 2010 season go well? Any single ride stand out? Did you have any goals you achieved? I know some of you brought new bikes into the world this year; How'd they do?

I had a fantastic year, and it's not wrapped up yet. I had some solid race results, a couple nice extended trips, and too many perfect days on the bike to count. The one thing that truly stands out as a surprise is my total elevation gain for 2010. I've never kept track until this year. Since January first I've climbed more than 348,000 feet! That's 65 virtical miles. Half of that on my singlespeed. No wonder my knees feel ten years older than I do. :) I made some new bike friends, shared a lot of miles with old friends, crashed only once and had a great time. I'm already looking forward to race season 26.

How'd it go for everyone else?

Last edited:

Mr. D

Adventurer
I cut back on the weight room and increased my miles on the mountain bike. Had lots of fun this year. My 04 trek needs some "love" and has been getting some of that love, still need more a work in progress. I was able to get up to riding close to 40-50 miles a week may not be much but I was happy.

Well at 42 yrs old I am trying to get wiser but I am a slow learner. My 4 yr old tbi (tramuatic brain injury) is still trying to intefere but I am kicking its ******** for the most part.

Just 2 wks ago I was riding came to extremly rough terrain was thinking of walking it, couldnt decide what to do my balance became unstable and WIPEOUT. What happened to days when I never wrecked???
Everyone says maybe you should stop riding because .... I just keep saying I want to live and I am working hard to ride better and etc...

So tomorrow rt knee surgery: torn meniscus, torn ligaments, torn iliactibial band, and some bone fragments. Earlier this year I dislocated my rt. wrist which the year prior was completly reconstructed due to a wipeout.

Did I say I am getting older and wiser. I live near Las Vegas, NV so my bike season is not over yet, I hope to be back on 2 wheels very soon.

keep the rubber side down

for your enjoyment
005-1.jpg

Last edited:
I had a great season. After a 4 year hyatus away from mountain biking I bought a new bike and hit the trails again this year. I never knew how much I missed it until I got back in the saddle again. I have been mountain biking on and off since I was 10 but my last go around was the most serious. I was biking 20 miles a day to stay fit and doing 24 hour races from time to time as well as downhilling on weekends in between. It was fun but guess it burned me out a bit and I just dropped it one year. Anyway what was so great about this season was the leasurely rides just trying to get my balance ect back, as well as not being in a big rip to finish the loop just riding.

efuentes

Explorer
I am having a great year, some solid mid-pack finishes (after 10 years without racing they feel like podiums) and finally spend a week riding/bikepacking across Copper Canyon with my son :victory:

Saludos.

CCRocks.jpg

Trey1940

Time for a new bike...

This year was a great riding season, but it's time for a new bike..

I'm too tall (5' 11" on an 18" frame) for it and it ended up in a few pieces after a wipeout (rim, derailleur, and rear brake are gone)

I got 3,300 miles out of it, about 1,800 of those this season, so I'm satisfied.

Looking at a Trek 4300 Disc (on a budget)

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Im still riding....

And am going to go super-maniac and try to ride all year this year. At least for my commute to work.

Should be interesting, seeing that we get tons of snow here :sombrero:
Ill see how far the heavy lug tires get me.... I might need studs.

I had a great spring and summer though. The dry season up here is amazing.

This year was a great riding season, but it's time for a new bike..

I'm too tall (5' 11" on an 18" frame) for it and it ended up in a few pieces after a wipeout (rim, derailleur, and rear brake are gone)

I got 3,300 miles out of it, about 1,800 of those this season, so I'm satisfied.

Looking at a Trek 4300 Disc (on a budget)

Hey Trey, I bought a Trek 4500 Disc this season, for the money you can't go wrong. I would like to do a few little up grades but it is over all a great ride for an even better price.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
It was an epic year for me. A year of firsts. First 24 hour race or frankly my first real race ever was the 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo.
Then on to the Whiskey 50 proof.
Then I had my first ride on a 29er and my first ride on a Single Speed.
So I went and road the Tour of the White Mountains 60 miler on the SS 29er and loved it.

Now looking forward to the El Tour de Tucson on into the dusk til dawn MTB race which I'm going to do solo.

Lots of fun rides in between of course!!! :bike_rider::bike_rider::bike_rider::bike_rider::bike_rider::bike_rider::bike_rider::bike_rider::bike_rider::bike_rider::bike_rider:

RttH

Every year I say I am going to ride more (mtn. bike). I did a little better this year, but not much. I only have 2 bikes ( I know some have a stable full!). I started the year on my old rigid Ritchey and didn't even touch my full suspension until last week. I am proud that I was able to ride up in Summit County Colorado with a 2x9 rigid bike and climbed and descended like a mountain goat! That felt great, especially since some of my friends where walking up long climbs. Last week I pulled out the full suspension bike and struggled with some climbs in Fruita, Colo., but the descending was a blast! Being inconsistant with my riding has hurt, but I still find a freedom and joy everytime I hop on and go! Miles this year?? Probably less than 1000.

FreeManDan

Adventurer
2010 was the year of travel for me, I rode a bike in Big Bend National Park, Big Bend State Park, Durango CO, Heber AZ (mogollon rim), Gallup NM, and the green zone of Iraq! (The green zone was so dang big, I couldn't be without a bike, so I bought 2):costumed-smiley-007

Wander

Expedition Leader
Mine sucked and no one to blame but me. Luckily the winter is very mild here so I am going to get back on the road even if it is only on the weekends because work takes up all the daylight during the week.

At least all the time wasn't wasted-I've been spending some of it in and under my Land Rover IIa.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
I had a great season. After a 4 year hyatus away from mountain biking I bought a new bike and hit the trails again this year. I never knew how much I missed it until I got back in the saddle again. I have been mountain biking on and off since I was 10 but my last go around was the most serious. I was biking 20 miles a day to stay fit and doing 24 hour races from time to time as well as downhilling on weekends in between. It was fun but guess it burned me out a bit and I just dropped it one year. Anyway what was so great about this season was the leasurely rides just trying to get my balance ect back, as well as not being in a big rip to finish the loop just riding.

In the same boat here. Left mountain biking for road racing, became miserable, quit cycling all together except for the occasional commute to work. Became disillusioned about turning 32, bought a bike and went and did Tour of the White Mountains...although I didn't finish because of bike problems I had a great time and once again became enlightened.

Had Luis at Karmaracer (shameless plug, donate some money to his cause) convert my crappy hybrid to singlespeed and I'm loving it again. Back to commuting to work 2 days a week and hating driving....oh to live in a city where I didn't need a car!

Now I'm signed up for the Dawn to Dusk race in December and thinking about doing 24 at Old Pueblo. And I'm grateful its winter in Phoenix because that means I can keep on riding! :bike_rider:

tacollie

Glamper
It was a good year for me. Did zero races intentionally. I didn't worry about training and just rode when I was in the mood. I went down to a single bike stable and a hard tail. The last 8 years my primary bikes have been full suspensions with hard tails and single speeds seeing a few miles here and there. I freakin love the hard tail. You can ride all year here if you don't mind the cold and a little snow and ice. On the down side I have been out for almost 2 weeks due to my appendix deciding to quit on me and I am a ball of energy. Should be able to get back on it this week.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Any particular rides stand out?

I have to say, had another great ride just today. Started at 7:30. I met a buddy for 2 hours. Met up with a couple more buds at 9:30 for a few more hours. Got in 5 hours, 37 minutes. 38 miles of singletrack and 4800 feet of climbing. Sweet.

Bicycles just rule. End of story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears