The 2011 Jeep LACK OF DIESEL thread....

lbarcher

Adventurer
"we are working on it" is probably corporate speak for "go away".

Frankly, the Wrangler would have been a better place for the diesel than the Liberty or Grand.
I'll believe the future diesel Wrangler when I see it.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Maybe....

At this point with the need for particulate filters and Urea fluids, I think the vehicle technology I wanted is already past. The J8 program is kinda the last hope for a new vehicle that I would want.

BeachBum

Observer
Just to give you an idea of what one of the diesels cost here in Spain check out this site.

http://www.coches.net/coches-de-ocasion.aspx?pg=1&fi=Price&or=-1&MakeId=21&ModelId=614

I have a good friend who has a Wrangler Sahara CRD auto here in Madrid and loves but has had his share of problems.

You will occasionally see a Rubicon CRD but when they cost around 45,000€, I've never seen one on the street. Think of the exchange rate and you're pretty close to $70k. And trying to keep up with traffic on the freeways that normally cruise at 140kph is ridiculous.

Nice though for playing on his ranch near Cuenca.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
4X pricing right now makes everything foreign (even if domestic product abroad) look expensive though.

In Australia the average is US$6.00/gal but I saw as high as US$8.00/gal on my last trip, in the Outback.
There's a thread on the Forum about Suburbans that get <10mpg. Pretty pathetic when you realize my Unimog that weighs as much as 4 Suburbans gets 9mpg.

Charlie

alosix

Expedition Leader
Maybe....

At this point with the need for particulate filters and Urea fluids, I think the vehicle technology I wanted is already past. The J8 program is kinda the last hope for a new vehicle that I would want.

Yup.. The vehicle I wanted just isn't possible anymore. It would have been right around when the libby got the engine for a little while, but alas the wrangler I have in my head just can't be built right now.

The next hope.. turbo direct injected gasoline. Or flying unicorn powered electric wrangler. :)

Jason

irishcoffee

CRD EU &amp; Australia

Gents,
Personally I am pleased with my CRD 2,8 Unlimited Sport JK (Euro 4 - 2009 product).

Pros are on the net and on the marketing materials on all walls (my Pros = excellent torque - 410 NM and goes to 468 with a good tuning kit).

Cons:
- Regarding 2,8 CRD Engine
--- slow response but hey yes it's a diesel at the end of the day;
--- sensitive with Cip tunings (increase from 177 to 210 HP) enters into Limp Mode if not proper setting performed; here depends on the tuning kit if you'd wish one;
--- real fuel consumption 4x2 with 32" BFG AT/Ko Tires and Front ARB Deluxe Bumper + M800 Warn goes to 12,5-13 Liters/100km which is by far higher than brochure specifications 10 l/100km; my figures are after a overland 5000 km expedition into the Balkans which included also highway and rugged terrain, etc;

- Regarding 2,8 CRD Engine (high torque) + NSG370 Mercedes Gearbox + Sachs origin double flywheel clutch :
- I do believe that this matching was done in a hurry and are a wrong compromise from Chrysler for the Wrangler fans (especially those like me which choose stick);
ADVICE: DO NOT choose manual (stick) diesel if you rock-crawling or HD stuff (muds, etc.) because sooner or later beside the bad smell you will grab deep in your pockets for getting an entire clutch system; no HD clutches for CRD engines are available in this moment on the market; to machine this Sachs clutch for the CRD is risky and I am not the lab rat for that price;
- maybe Fiat will bring some improvements here for the stick lovers but I am not pleased at all about this present clutch; I say this not because I had to change the clutch but compared to Mitsu or Toy there is a considerable difference in clutch response;
- on this mater a more detailed discussion including some samples of clutches on the australian jeep forum - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104341

- the other CONS such as :
------sway electronic (I had changed 2 during warranty and the last one I've disconnected twice only; if will broke again I will crack it like the buddies from jk-owners.com)
------ poor cooling of the VM 2,8 - a better fan and a new hood (better than AEV :)) is required
------ or other say easy stuff I've already changed them (yes including some clunking latches) under warranty;

Considering the above and beside all the TSB (if you know them in EU because otherwise Jeep dealers are not happy to see you in their shop for free works to be performed)
I am still a big Wrangler fan! Love this car and I say this after I play with my wife's Fiat 500 around the city! :costumed-smiley-007

Cheers,

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger