The 2024 Tacoma Hybrid … would you buy one “

crazysccrmd

Observer
People think hybrid directly corresponds to fuel economy. Toyota truck hybrids are built solely for a performance increase with nothing to do with efficiency.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
People think hybrid directly corresponds to fuel economy. Toyota truck hybrids are built solely for a performance increase with nothing to do with efficiency.
Mercedes tried that it failed miserably. Got lousy mileage people didn’t buy them price vs the regular version didn’t make sense.

I suspect Toyota buyers especially truck buyers looking at the price of these in addition to dealer markups are going to take the same route even more so.
If they had a power boost ie could do power unit duty like the F150 then the utility advantage is definitely worth it. But Toyota will never go there at least not till they get crushed by competitors and actually need to offer something thats not already been done for 10-13 yrs already 😆

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
We don’t know that yet- no one has tested the Tacoma hybrid- I don’t know that it follows that pattern as much as the Tundra did. If you gain a few mpg you gotta run the math on that and decide if the hybrid is right for you.

skrypj

We will have to wait for the reviews to come out- I think it will be a success.

You dont seem to have looked up the performance of the same exact system in the Tundra. The Tacoma system is literally lifted staight from the Tundra. Same battery size, same electric motor. Its pretty sad in the Tundra.

If they get 25 mpg it will be city only.

skrypj

Mercedes tried that it failed miserably. Got lousy mileage people didn’t buy them price vs the regular version didn’t make sense.

I suspect Toyota buyers especially truck buyers looking at the price of these in addition to dealer markups are going to take the same route even more so.
If they had a power boost ie could do power unit duty like the F150 then the utility advantage is definitely worth it. But Toyota will never go there at least not till they get crushed by competitors and actually need to offer something thats not already been done for 10-13 yrs already 😆
Well and the problem with the Toyota system is that the power increase is entirely offset by the added weight. The benefit is only seen off the line before the ICE gets going. Once they are rolling, the non-hybrid throws down similar numbers and I believe has a faster trap speed in the 1/4 mile.

But that whole performance thing just seems to be an excuse. Ford managed to get performance from the Powerboost but the efficiency boost is also substantial. Fuelly.com suggests a 20% increase in MPG over the normal 3.5L Ecoboost. Thats huge.

Meanwhile, the Tundra hybrid seems to be the same, if not worse, than the non-hybrid. The Hybrid is getting the same MPG's that the F150 3.5L has been getting since 2015

I dont see any reason that Toyota couldnt get both performance and efficiency from the system. That makes no sense to me.

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
You dont seem to have looked up the performance of the same exact system in the Tundra. The Tacoma system is literally lifted staight from the Tundra. Same battery size, same electric motor. Its pretty sad in the Tundra.

If they get 25 mpg it will be city only.
It’s just speculation until someone test it. There is real world payback from not needing the motor to run under 20- not having it run at stop lights, etc. I could care less about extra speed or acceleration. Maybe you are right on all your guesses..?? I just know the initial reviews on the Tacoma show they made great improvements to every thing previous customers complained about- and it was already the best selling mid size.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
It’s just speculation until someone test it. There is real world payback from not needing the motor to run under 20- not having it run at stop lights, etc. I could care less about extra speed or acceleration. Maybe you are right on all your guesses..?? I just know the initial reviews on the Tacoma show they made great improvements to every thing previous customers complained about- and it was already the best selling mid size.
To be honest it was a very long list for a very long time. Think of the new Tacoma as being brought to 2019 progress at 2023 COVID prices😆. Toyota had to update it because the tooling was likely completely worn out from 15yrs of pressing out the same parts for so long.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
To be honest it was a very long list for a very long time. Think of the new Tacoma as being brought to 2019 progress at 2023 COVID prices😆. Toyota had to update it because the tooling was likely completely worn out from 15yrs of pressing out the same parts for so long.
It had shortcomings- but it outsold everyone and had an exceptional record for reliability.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
It had shortcomings- but it outsold everyone and had an exceptional record for reliability.
1980’s Reliability yes but modern I’m not convinced. I was the only Toyota guy in my big family. My Toyota’s cost me more to maintain than the non Toyotas and went pretty much the same mileage. The only thing they beat the family competition in was the worst gas mileage and worst over all comfort😆. I gave my dad my last Toyota he’s on fixed income limited $ etc. He has the best of all the Toyotas I had. 4.7L Sequoia. It had its issues wasn’t perfect cost a pretty $ to get it sorted. Its a pig at the pump. But it was free to him and should give him another 100k without too much cost. It replaced a 4.0L Explorer he sold for $3200 at 320,000 miles. All it got was fluids, spark plugs and one water pump did daily duty to the day he sold it. Way way cheaper 320,000 than any of my Toyota’s. It had a tough life also.. We’ll dump the Sequoia before 320,000 simply due to maintenance snd fuel cost.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998