The 255/85R16 Tire Official List

aardvarcus

Adventurer
Has anyone tried the Courser CXT in 255/85R16 (or any size)? I haven't seen much in the way of first hand reviews on this tire, but it looks to be one of the most streetable designs I have seen available in a 255/85R16.

kayadog

Adventurer
I haven't found any user reviews of the CXT online. I also see that no online stores have 255/85r16 in stock making me think they haven't been manufactured in this size yet.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Dang, if I had seen that a few weeks ago I would not have purchased the KM2s. Hopefully the issues are all solved. My Jeep is light, but I also run tires with lower psi due to the light jeep.
I wonder if it's still a defect in the tire or a combination of E-rating, vehicle weight, airing down?

BFG is not a fly-by-night operation and I can't believe they would still have a design or process issue linger this long. I'm running 235/85R16 KO2 and am beginning to wonder if I need to be concerned with long term reliability because of the later, meaning that E-rated tires (perhaps BFG in particular) don't like being repeatably run and flexed heavily at low air pressures.

Then again I kind of do hope it's just the KM2 in this size only on exceptionally heavy trucks because I'll probably run them one day...

kayadog

Adventurer
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...k&tireModel=Extreme+Country&sidewall=Outlined White Letters&partnum=585QR6EXCOWL&tab=Sizes

I don't think the Extreme Country is the tire for me because of the lack of siping but at $175 each minus the rebate that's a good price for 255/85r16.

RedF

Adventurer
I really wish Duratracs or Bfg A/Ts were available. There is a crazy lack of decent "winter" tires in this size.

Im going to wind up running 285s because of the lack of options in 255.

kayadog

Adventurer
That's a really nice ride! HAs anyone seen the Mastercraft CXT in any size? I have yet to see a picture or review. In all likelihood it is very similar to the ST Maxx with a different tread pattern and slightly lower price.

bijanjames

Adventurer
Have you ever run KO2? Be interested in a comparison on how noisy and rain/snow/sleet/liquid mag chloride (swear that stuff is worse than snow) traction this winter. Heck, we should get together and kick tires.

I have not. This is my 2nd set of Coopers and before these I ran BFG KM2's and the original KM. The ST Maxx is a much more aggressive tire compared to a KO2. Heavier, much deeper tread depth, etc...What tire are you running now?

DaveInDenver

I have not. This is my 2nd set of Coopers and before these I ran BFG KM2's and the original KM. The ST Maxx is a much more aggressive tire compared to a KO2. Heavier, much deeper tread depth, etc...What tire are you running now?
KO2 in 235/85R16 because I didn't want KM2. Actually not unhappy with my BFGs but really wanted a 255/85R16 that works in snow.

bijanjames

Adventurer
KO2 in 235/85R16 because I didn't want KM2. Actually not unhappy with my BFGs but really wanted a 255/85R16 that works in snow.

As you know, the only tire that comes in that size to meet you criteria is the ST Maxx. I was very impressed in the performance of the tire on road last winter. The KO2 is apparently much improved over the original for winter use though. I ran the original KO's years ago and we have a set on my Dad's 11' Power Wagon. The mileage on the original was lacking, I believe that the new version is much improved in this department. Tire manufactures need to give us more options in this size.

DaveInDenver

As you know, the only tire that comes in that size to meet you criteria is the ST Maxx. I was very impressed in the performance of the tire on road last winter. The KO2 is apparently much improved over the original for winter use though. I ran the original KO's years ago and we have a set on my Dad's 11' Power Wagon. The mileage on the original was lacking, I believe that the new version is much improved in this department. Tire manufactures need to give us more options in this size.
I've had many sets of original AT KO over the years. I've always felt they were acceptable in snow, neither great or terrible. The KMs I've had were pretty lousy even with the sipes that Discount used to do. I just put these KO2 on a couple of months ago and have been impressed with them so far in summer weather and off road, I think they did actually improve. They are a little louder I think but not offensive at all. I do wish they would make them in 255/85R16 instead of the MT, but I also know that pizza cutters are a pretty small niche of the market and that's always been true. I ran the various 33x9.50 and 33x10.50 with a 15x7 rim on my old truck and found the 33x10.50 to be ideal for me, which roughly is the same as the 255/85 profile. Not super skinny, which isn't so much the issue as the rims get less beat up. I may try the Cooper next time, but I've had such good luck with BFG that I just hesitate, you know? Same reason I stuck with a Tacoma even though the Frontier on paper was probably the better fit. I just can't un-remember 20 years of experiences.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
That's a really nice ride! HAs anyone seen the Mastercraft CXT in any size? I have yet to see a picture or review. In all likelihood it is very similar to the ST Maxx with a different tread pattern and slightly lower price.

I believe the CXT uses Cooper's 2-ply LT tire casing rather than their 3-ply casing which the ST-MAXX uses.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Has anyone tried the Courser CXT in 255/85R16 (or any size)? I haven't seen much in the way of first hand reviews on this tire, but it looks to be one of the most streetable designs I have seen available in a 255/85R16.

I haven't found any user reviews of the new CXT online. I also see that no online stores have 255/85r16 in stock making me think they haven't been manufactured in this size yet.

All I can share is a tease, but I've seen, photographed, and driven on the Mastercraft CXT tires in 255/80R17. Will be working on a first-look article when my schedule allows, that is at least a few weeks out. That first piece will be followed by a second months later with some wear data.

Both articles will be published on my site, www.RoadTraveler.net, sign up for email alerts on new posts if interested.

Also, while I've never used social media, I'm now on Instagram to promote my work, @RoadTraveler.

James

P1070876 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior