The $6 Hood Blackout...

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Very curious to know how well the wheels hold up with all the brush us offroaders drive through...

The wheels hold up well... it's the Plasti-dip coating them that come off that don't. I'm loving this Plasti-dip frenzy... and the following disappointed posts!

GTABurnout

Explorer
So I have been using this stuff for years, it hit the higher end import scene way ack as a cheap grill black out. My dodge had plastic dipped wheels and bumpers. Rock chips happen pretty fast but the wheels held up great off road and on.

Dust_02.jpg

Dust_03.jpg

Not I do have some advice if you plan to remove it do so every onece and a while to make sure iot still comes off. I plastic dipped my roof on my integra about two years ago and the arizona heat has mad that plastic dip part of the paint of the roof now. Its not coming off with out sand paper.

4RunAmok

Explorer
The wheels hold up well... it's the Plasti-dip coating them that come off that don't. I'm loving this Plasti-dip frenzy... and the following disappointed posts!

LOL, yeah, I meant how does the dip hold up with all the crap we put our wheels through... I'd imagine not very well considering I've smeared a lead weight halfway around the wheel once.

I'll stick with not doing my wheels.

juicebox

Adventurer
Not I do have some advice if you plan to remove it do so every onece and a while to make sure iot still comes off. I plastic dipped my roof on my integra about two years ago and the arizona heat has mad that plastic dip part of the paint of the roof now. Its not coming off with out sand paper.

That's good advice, now I am thinking I should probably rip it off every 6 months or so and re-do it... Or just do the $80 vinyl if I like it a lot, but vinyl wrap still only lasts 2-3 years, so it's still not very cost effective. If I do it every 6 months, for 3 years, it will still be under $40.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
So I have been using this stuff for years, it hit the higher end import scene way ack as a cheap grill black out. My dodge had plastic dipped wheels and bumpers. Rock chips happen pretty fast but the wheels held up great off road and on.

Plasti-dip has it's uses but I'd not recommend it for some items...

like these wheels that had it on for less than a year...

plastidip.jpg

YMMV.

GTABurnout

Explorer
The wheels on my dode where plastic dipped. No real damage after many trips off road, most high speed trips as well. Never really ground the wheel across a rock but that would kill any paint.

trump

Adventurist
I did mine yesterday in about 40 minutes. I am happy with the result but would like to go over it a few more times for it to be complete. In any case, it looks much better than it did before. Thanks again for the idea.

Solid work on the blackout. Took a look at it the other day at the PFT course. Much better than what you had going on with the bare metal.

Sempertoy

Explorer
Solid work on the blackout. Took a look at it the other day at the PFT course. Much better than what you had going on with the bare metal.

Thanks, great praise coming from you. I meant to pm you and say that I had spotted you. The truck is looking awesome!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman