The art of compromise

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Looking for water pump information. I am going to have to redo the water system from scratch on this trailer. Looks like originally it came with a hand pump and a removable 5 gallon tank in the undersink cabinet. Tank is no longer there, handpump on faucet no longer works. I am looking at Sur Flo pumps and not really clear on what size or GPM makes sense. The rest of it, plumbing, wiring, etc... I think I can handle no problem.

So any recommendations for 12v water pumps? This is just for the kitchen, will serve no purposes outside filling the coffee pot,etc... Thanks for any advice.

John

jscusmcvet

Explorer
We took our first trip in the camper this past weekend. With the weight of the holiday on my mind, I was feeling a bit blue and a bit patriotic at the same time as we left...
IMG_1929.jpg

As the day went on and we wound our way down highway 24 towards my old stomping ground, the mood lifted and we were able to spend some quality time with my buddy, who is a retired Marine and his beautiful wife, who is an active duty kick ***, former DI and now First Sgt. Thanks to them we had access to the dry camping at Onslow Beach. It had been 27 years since I set foot on this beach.
IMG_1930.jpg

I neglected to get any pictures of the camper set up. I am happiest with the awning... super easy and useable space.. great sun protection and the fact that we could move it around by hand to get it just right in the campsite. Ann loves the inside stove, the ease of set up and the security of having hard sides. Joe liked being out there the best of it all.

We did get a picture or two of the best part of the trip. The Joe caught his first fish ever, followed by a couple more and then a few blue crabs for good measure. He had an awesome guide in my buddy who set him up for success at every step... and a Filipino lady at the dock who showed him how to catch the blue crabs... awesome fun and a weekend he will remember for a long time. In his words (and this started on the beach in the morning, even before the fish)... "the best day ever..."
5-28-16e.jpg

20DYNAMITE07

Just along for the ride
We took a few minutes today and hooked up the camper to the jeep for a quick pull. Zero issues, jeep handles it fine, so that is good. I switched the tent trailer battery and box into it, and we are good to go on all 12v, except the fridge. For some reason it did not kick on. It does on the shore power. I did not have time to dig into it, but think it is in the power distribution panel. I was happy that at least the lights and fan work on 12v and the battery charges when plugged into shore power. Ann has done a bunch of interior cleaning and tomorrow we are going to use a portable carpet cleaner on the cushions. We are chasing a mildew smell and making progress, but the cushions need it for sure.

Does the trailer have an anti-sway bar? Might be worth the $100 since you have a short wheelbase jeep. Love the camping pictures BTW, and WTG on that fish!!!

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Does the trailer have an anti-sway bar? Might be worth the $100 since you have a short wheelbase jeep. Love the camping pictures BTW, and WTG on that fish!!!

We have not had any issue with towing. A couple points though:

I just did a short test tow with the jeep... so far, so good. Unless we will require the 4wd capability of the jeep we'll be towing with the 2wd 4 door tacoma Prerunner, as we did on this recent trip. The jeep however, is a LJ with a 104" wheelbase and a 3500# tow rating. We have towed our similar weight pop up plenty with it with no issues. The T@B does impact fuel mileage a bit more due to frontal wind resistance, but seems to be only at speeds at or over 65... I have no problem going slow, so no biggy.

If we run into any issues I will look into the anti sway concept though... Thanks!

John

jscusmcvet

Explorer

And thank you for the coments! Joe is still talking about the fish he caught and wanting to know when we are going again!

jscusmcvet

Explorer
The shore power and the 12v system are working well together, but I wanted to add some 12v outlets. I decided to build a separate 12v system since the rest of it seems to be working well, and I am not 100% on messing with it. Spent a few days collecting all the pieces I need...
Wired in the Blue Sea Fuse panel today. Used 2ga Wire, a 80 amp fuse at the battery, 10ga wire from the fuse panel to the 2 Blue Sea 12v outlets I got to today. Both of these will be used with the Indel B fridge when it is in different spots. Also took the time to reinforce some of the cabinetry I was working around with screws. The camper seems to be holding together well, but the extra fasteners cannot hurt. I will do more of that as I go on with other projects. I still have more outlets to wire in, but 97 degrees outside = way to dang hot inside the camper for this to be any more fun at all! A few pics.
IMG_2120.jpgIMG_2121.jpgIMG_2116.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears