The "Az Crew" Thread

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
Well, Jorge and I have been slowly working on his fabulous 85 Montero ($400). It was smoking after starting, so instead of getting a compression tester and doing things properly, we elected to pull the head, swap it out with a non-jet-valve casting (inventory item) and throw in new valve stem seals (inventory item) and reassemble with new head bolts and a head gasket set (both by Fel-Pro). We matched up the vacuum lines to the 86, as 85-86 are quite similar and the previous owner had probably just guessed on the 85 from the looks of it, and found that the second line off the fuel pump was bypassing the carburetor and going directly to the tank return instead of to the accelerator pump (at least that's where I think the second hook-up is going to), so there were two unused fuel line fittings on the carb, an inlet and an outlet. Here again, we're fortunate to have the 86 sitting right next to it so we can compare things.

The ten year old battery refused to start the truck, even though it initially did work a couple of months ago. So, used another one, got it started, and it still smokes pretty badly. RINGS. Ahh well. Let it warm up then shut it down and removed the valve cover and let it cool down most of the way before re-torqueing the head bolts and gasket sealer-ing the valve cover gasket. Jorge had disappeared before this point.

I decide to drive around the block. It made it "most" of the way and died. I figured it was out of gas, so I put some in and it started - great. Made it about 50 feet. Well, maybe I didn't put enough in, so I went to the gas station and got more and put a couple more gallons in the tank. Still nothing, although it will start on starting spray. Hey, great, my old friend, dirty fuel tank. Looked at it this morning and the filter looks like it is completely bricked. I should buy those filters by the case. Had the same issue with my 86, with Jorge's 86 and now his 85. Guess we'll stop buying these old trucks that have been sitting for years and stick to ones that just don't pass emissions.

John B.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
With nice weather and a diminishing cold/flu fight (at least I think, finally, after over a week), I grabbed a new fuel filter and a bottle of Rislone ring seal oil additive at Auto Zone ($10 total). Since this baby ain't a keeper, we decided to try something at least. Used compressed air to back flush the fuel supply line with the gas cap off and purge out the fuel return line the same way, then installed the new fuel filter. The truck ran again, so HoseB drove it around a little to warm it up, then parked it in the driveway so I could drain the really crappy looking, gas-soaked oil. Of course both the oil drain plug and the oil filter were on at "air ratchet" torque, which meant me splitting open my hand on the drain plug and HoseB having to sit on the engine torqueing on a filter wrench to get the old filter off. On went a nice Wix filter (inventory) and a bunch of left-over oil from half-full bottles (inventory!) along with the Rislone. No more smoke, at least for now. Just have to set the timing and put the hood and the air filter assembly back on before getting back to the clean-up stages under the hood and undercarriage, giving it the classic 14th St $1 black undercarriage spray paint job, finishing the exterior detailing and cleaning out the interior before finding any other little things we can do before selling this thing off. It's no high-dollar rig, but it looks damn good for its age, particularly on the outside. Reminds me of my old '87 that was my first Montero all those years ago. It even has a John Baker front sway bar. For some stupid reason, there's a steering stabilizer on it too. Shocks are shot. Needs tires and a battery. It's hard to get into reverse (it's a five-speed). Has headlight squirters/bouncy/ltd slip sticker. Aftermarket radio works with all four stock (I guess) speakers. No carpet, just bedliner. Seat covers over torn up seats. Cracked interior plastic with some of that missing. It could be a contender, but someone is going to have to will it back to life, and that isn't us.

Next up is HoseB's 90 V-6 auto for an auto trans fluid change. Because he loves torture, he is insisting on changing the filter screen as well. We have all the parts and fluids. I'm making him drop the cross member. Wish him luck.

John B.

quote" I made the poor decision of letting a redneck guy tell me where to drive, so I went from "not stuck really" to "seriously mf stuck" and then not long after that took the plunge into "my passenger side CV axle exploded" so I'm sure after the snow melts they'll find ....."

heavens sake! be careful about listening to we hillbilly , redneck types.

We mean well, but taking direction from one of we, means also taking risks.
examples:
" that cutoff there will save you thirty miles" (if the gate aint' locked, the rains haven't swollen the creek, and by the way didnt tell you that the creek crossing is to the left of the actual road where you assumed it to be and i aint been that way for a couple of years but it likely is still open , maybe.

"down the road a bit" means anywhere from 30 yards to 30 miles.

i"it aint that hard" means "ive done it and it wernt that hard , but of course i never finished it, and i got my cousins and uncles and support structure around to help me get out of whatever mess i just reffered you to do.

and lastly we think everyone is as familiar with our country as we are, otherwise why would you bother to come clear out here and do for fun what we only do under duress or utmost necessity?

most of us are under(un)employed and have all the time in the world to fix our f-up and plenty of time to consider how to do it.

one long ago neighbor (who i believe is still serving time) got drunk and run his 67 ford flatbed into the ditch when he missed his driveway. it sat there for a very long time with its ******** end up in the air, nose down into this 6 foot ditch. it was there for so long that when i was asked directions to his place (which was often, for he had a machine shop) i would say "turn by that flatbed there in the ditch " When he finally pulled it from its place, well the whole thing fell apart no one could find his place from my directions, his customer base fell off and he went broke, got depressed burned the place down got nicked for arson and is doing time. Thats not precisely true, but kinda, is its true enough for a hillbilly. Its hillbilly true, in that we include some facts (See cut-off story above), and omit or add others like there is a locked timber gate (but there is a way around it) but not being from the area you wouldn't know that and we cannot imagine why you would go up there just for fun so why bother with such details.

yea, look out for locals, they are trouble. better to go it blind and make your own troubles that way at least you can claim it when you successfully extract yourself from your troubles.

This guy needed me to pull forward (from where I was) into deeper snow so he could get his plow through. I suggested that if he backed up I could also back up to the main road and get entirely out of his way, but he wasn't interested in that. Said just pull forward to the really deep stuff and if I get stuck he'll tug me out.

I didn't realize at that moment that his version of tug me out meant a knotted, out in the sun, decades old tow strap and a little 1/4 ton beater Dakota with open differentials because he got his plow truck hopelessly stuck on a snow bank. After he broke the tow strap repeatedly and kept tying new knots in it... I stopped participating and just went back to our cabin to let the sun go down on its own.

THATS A HILLBILLY WORTHY OF THE NAME!!!

lord that sounds familiar.......too familiar actually.

his solution is , of course, to go home or the bar; sometimes one is indistinguishable from the other, and wait it out. till spring if need be.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
Where did this beater Montero come from?

Jorge's white '85? Craigslist, I think, I stopped paying attention where they come from and just try to invent new ways to park everything. I believe his original intention was that the body of this truck was so nice, he'd entertain the thought of swapping it out for the one on his '89 (V-6), since he dented up the rockers and his son broke one of the sliding rear windows on that. Once we started talking through what needed to be done to actually get that job done, the thought kind of left him. Would be kind of neat, though. The white one's exterior is probably the best of all the SWB's we have. The interior leaves a lot to be desired, though.

Wouldn't break my heart to see it get sold. Somebody will like it enough to buy it for sub $1K.

John B.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
On another note, I went with a second person on the Facebook Montero page to obtain the flexplate for my '87 Raider turbo. The first guy never got around to pulling his, so I took the next one that popped up, although THAT one still has to be pulled as well. At least this guy returns my messages. I "should" have it in a couple of weeks. I will probably pull the engine all the way out to look things over when I install it. Something tells me I should have another look at the balance shaft timing on it and I don't know of a sure way to check it without taking the front cover/oil pan off. I have the rear main seal for it and I don't think I ever replaced the front main, so maybe this project grows, don't know yet.

The A.D.D Crew will be alerted to the need for a day of attention to project completion when things get lined up.

John B.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Did you guys see the 2 door V6 (Raider) for $900 on craigslist?

HUM469

Working... and working...
So after almost a month of distraction (international shipping of a couple hundred kayaks is a real pain!) I am finally able to answer about my project. The project is a remodel of one of my company vans, a 1992 15 passenger Chevy. It remains the most reliable van in our fleet and has been affectionately named the River Beast by locals in the Cottonwood area. I am stripping it down and doing a new rustoleum paint job, but I was hoping to cut the roof off too. Unfortunately, I am absolutely terrible when it comes to welding, but to have her stay in one piece sans roof, I need a roll cage. I called it a distraction because it isn't Montero related, but I know there's lots of talent here, and I the AZ Crew has always been such a great resource that I am happy to help out when I can, and have learned a lot from as well.

I have some photos of the van, but uploading them does not seem to be working right now. Not sure if it is because I haven't posted enough yet on here, or if I am doing something wrong but I will look into it further if anyone wants to see photos here. I am also working on a big truck (international box truck) which has ramps and a winch and can fit a full size van inside so I am also willing to trade hauling duties for help with this work. I have tons of space on my property too, some of which I thought Toasty was going to come look at building a testing track on, I can store stuff, I can trade other goods or services.... I just have about 7 weeks left to get all my major work done before my year gets crazy again and so I have to knock it all out quick or hold my piece for another year.....

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
You live in an area that I don't frequent or this stuff would be done already ha ha ha! We'll have to meet up sometime soon.

SirFrancisDrake

2002 Montero Ltd
Anyone have any recommendations for a Gen 3 mechanic, preferably in the east valley?

Long story short, red light runner tboned and totaled my DD. Figure I'll just make the Montero my primary vehicle for now. I've done as much as I can on one foot, but I'd really just like to get the entire engine rebuilt basically, seals, gaskets, rubber lines, radiator rodded/recored. Full refresh

Realize it's gonna cost some $$$... Thanks for any suggestions!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12