The Beginning...

KD2IUS

Ken
First off, hello to all. Long time lurker turned member, here looking for ideas to pilfer (and maybe have some of mine treated in kind).

Now that the pleasantries are dispensed with, let's get down to the nitty-gritty...

Picked this off the original owner for $2,000...
12032768_127519484267768_4751086245228674689_o.jpg

I know, I know, it doesn't look like much right now, but there's a method to my madness...this big brute (whom shall henceforth be referred to as "Jed") is packing 7.3 liters of PowerStroke goodness. Even better, the powertrain has 309,xxx miles on it...EXCEPT the 10k-old Ford Reman E4OD. It also has the Dana 60 3.55 rear end, which will be swapped in the future for an LSD or all-out locking carrier. 4x4 is an awfully tempting proposition, but for the price tag (coupled with the fact that it will see rather little severe non-prepped-surfaces for the forseeable future) I'm most likely going to settle on a front receiver carrying a winch. And to top it off, the only rust issue AT ALL is on the right rear fender...paint and body shop will fix that in the spring-summertime.

Other ideas that will be incorporated:
DIY Bed (plenty of 3/4-inch plywood laying in the garage)
Cabinets (again, yay plywood)
Rear Disc Brake Conversion (or Hydroboost...still gauging)
LT235/85R16 on Super Duty Alcoa Wheels
Overhead Front Shelf for Storage/Radios
Tow Mirrors
Moonvisor
Chrome Bumpers
Running Lights & Running Boards
Wood Dash Kit
Curtains for Windows
New interior trim/carpet for rear
On-board generator w/ fuel supply
Interior 120V AC hookups
Television w/ media storage
4” lift
Winterfront and Factory AIC Unit
Plus maybe some other goodies...we shall see.

Right now, though, what I NEED is:
New Batteries (Done, Wal-Mart EverStart Maxx 65-N x2)
A/C Compressor Bypass until Spring (Done, Dorman A/C Bypass Pulley)
Oil & Filter (going with Motorcraft 15W40 and FL1995)
Air & Fuel Filters (more Motorcraft)
Positive Battery Cable w/terminals (there's $300 going to the dealer)
High Mount Brake Bulbs (Easy)
Reseal Roof Gutters (FlexSeal)
Either Master Cylinder Return Spring for the pedal, or the whole shebang...still working on narrowing that down
Shock Absorbers ("need" is putting it mildly)
Instrument Cluster Gauges for engine temp and oil pressure are possessed...verified levels are good, the dials are just out to lunch. Gives me an excuse to add some for EGT, boost, etc...not that I need one.
Hide and Go Seek for problem fuses

I will probably retain the OEM carpet, headliner, and interior trim beneath it all, partly for convenience, partly for the insulation already installed.

That's all I have for tonight, as I am half asleep writing this. I will be back tomorrow with more pictures.

ert01

Adventurer
Looks good! I like the color.

For a simple gauge solution, get yourself a scangaugeII. It'll do most of those functions except egt. It's simple plug n play and you can always re-sell it once you decide on what gauges you actually want and get them all hooked up and running.

KD2IUS

Ken
Pictures are taking a bit longer, work keeps getting in the way.

Thanks ert...I'm going to have the current coat cleaned up and waxed to see if the paint is salvageable, or if it needs a respray. If I keep it I'm going to do a two-tone over gray, but I'm also toying with the notion of black over gold...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KD2IUS

Ken
UPDATE:

Well, the good news is that I found my brake issue...bad news, it's the booster. Noticed that the current one is a Bendix...trying to hunt down another one, but a Motorcraft or NAPA is more likely. (I typically go for OEM or NAPA first anyway.) Jed sat for four years before I got my hands on him, so there's an army of gremlins to slay...well, a few anyways. At least he was started and allowed to warm up every week...no old-fuel-related woes here, and I've already replaced most of the old fuel.

Long story short, Jed is officially off the road for now, but still legal (storage insurance policy), and is likely to remain so throughout the winter into spring. This gives me time to address the brake, electrical, and suspension systems, have the powertrain checked out by someone more professed than I am, and begin to bring the interior in line with what I have envisioned, purpose-wise.

So, once again, stay tuned, I will return. In the meantime, any advice on trouble spots, recommended procedures, etc. for my above-outlined projects would be most appreciated.

KD2IUS

Ken
Change of fate, back on the road, now with pics...

9247ca5a950f031d7e94b5cfae9df743.jpg

f609aadbf82faf94a492d5759bfbeb44.jpg

bea05afc274a1d730e59c6950bcf1ea2.jpg

As of now mostly untouched interior...starting bed designs tomorrow.

72a5ef1b558d28ce16eebbf5101cf6a2.jpg

Obligatory LL Bean pine scent bag...
5a97c9ce4f7a38f3fdc96b2d5fb77989.jpg

KD2IUS

Ken
Heater blend door fixed...
c0fd2df18c3f7b0e3f63b6136bdb09e6.jpg

Getting to the case and undoing the 8mm bolts was easy.

ec54a06b5c190b3b29137f1b9c8eee4f.jpg

This screw some genius of an engineer decided the casing needed had me seeing red.

73d6d39a609b50d739b7fc6039d56b18.jpg

Finally figured out a way to access the little prick.

7d890db3b73cde8d2ed8f0075736155b.jpg

Current financial state says this will work until I need A/C again. Just ran the baling wire through the (not reused) screw hole and looped it.

de8eb00c553a28d8fa24792a6e8082fa.jpg

747df8a57e3abc6f68a404ddc8e3f1fd.jpg

4a6fd840c741e6866752fb5341965298.jpg

And finally some daytime shots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78