The best adventure travel boots.

psykokid

Explorer
I lucked out and picked up a pair of Oboz Yellowstone II's that look brand new at the REI used gear sale on Saturday for the princely sum of $40.00. Second pair of Oboz i've picked up at the used gear sale. I scored a pair of Sawtooth's a couple of years ago for the same price and had worn then down to nearly nothing.

gmoneyluv

Patagonia IS Merrell. Patagonia doesn't make their shoes. They have a licensing agreement with Merrell who actually builds and distributes their shoes. Patagonia FOOTWEAR as an organization simply takes design cues from teh Patagonia team to try to design a footwear line that compliments the aesthetic and green principles held by Patagonia clothing. I like Patagonia Footwear's designs, but their use of green materials has lead to some durability issues.

We sell close to a couple thousand pairs of shoes a year. In terms of product failures nothing, and I mean NOTHING rivals the blow out failures of KEEN. Our KEEN failure rate is the worst I've seen in 15 years of retail. Second to KEEN is Merrell. The fewest number of blowouts comes from Asolo, Scarpa, Lowa and La Sportiva. Salomon probably should be on that list, too as they're pretty solid.

Good list Christophe. I've been involved in the outdoor industry for over 20 years - your "fewest number of blowouts" list is spot on. You are also correct about the Patagonia and Merrell relationship.

Angry_Man

Adventurer
I cover about 20-30 miles under a ~40 ruck every week. The Rocky S2V Vented Mil Duty Boot is the best I've found. A light coat of DWR every week months is all it needs. I have worn them for hours in 110*+ sun over sand dunes, and -41* snow and ice storms. The only thing that changes is the thickness of the socks I bring. They breathe, they dry out fast when they get wet, and they're the most comfortable boot I've ever owned. I steer clear of anything with GoreTex, whether from sweat, rain, or ground water it's inevitable that my feet will get wet, and GoreTex just doesn't let interiors drain, breathe any dry out during movement.

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Boots.....

Blundstone 550's, going on 3 years now. Desert to mountains and some pavement as long as conditions are not too wet/cold, then there are other choices. mjmcdowell

anotherguy

Observer
If I had to pick just one, it would be my Asolo Fugutive GTX's. They are comfortable, really durable, offer a good level of protection. Can't ask for much more. I have done a lot of miles in them over the years. I am on my second pair since 2006, the first pair was still holding up great, but the toe cap was coming unglued after 9 months of crude oil and chemicals. They also smelled like crude so it was time for a new pair. :)

I also have a pair of light Salomons that I have had since 2011 and they are a great, lightweight boot, but don't offer quite as much ankle support or protection as the Asolo's. I tend to wear them for shorter hikes where I won't be packing any real weight. I have a pair of OTB JungleLites I need to break in for hot, humid and wet climates. Once it warms up I will go walk in a river and then walk them dry , but they are incredibly light and comfortable already.

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I can't find anything at all that fits.
If anybody knows of a 14-wide that's really a 14-wide and not just a 14-fatfoot, let me know.
I don't want a heel or much footbed; I don't want an over-constructed disaster. I just want enough protection to hike in. A minimalist hiker in a grown-up's size.

ive been using a pair of USMC RAT boots with a pair of keen sandals in my pack. With this combo you're prepared for pretty much anything anywhere. my girl has a pair of merrell hiking boots and a pair of keen sandals as well. Whatever boot you pick I think you should combine it with a quality water proof rubber toed sandal. perfect for showering, creek and river hiking, or just to get your feet out of boots for a few hours.

peneumbra

Explorer
White Smokejumpers. Probably overkill for most uses but absolutely the most rugged, high-quality boot available on the planet. Rebuildable, UL-rated, and certified for wildland firefighting. Yes, they're heavy and stiff at first, but I've found them to be the most comfortable boots I've ever had...

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
White Smokejumpers. Probably overkill for most uses but absolutely the most rugged, high-quality boot available on the planet. Rebuildable, UL-rated, and certified for wildland firefighting. Yes, they're heavy and stiff at first, but I've found them to be the most comfortable boots I've ever had...
I like the way that White's boots are built but their choice of high heels and soles without room in the toebox is a long-term killer for foot/back/hip/knee health.
https://nwfootankle.com/files/rossiWhyShoesMakeNormalGaitImpossible.pdf
https://nwfootankle.com/files/Rossi-FootwearTheprimarycauseofFootDisorders.pdf
https://nwfootankle.com/files/Rossi-FashionandFootDeformation.pdf

Last edited:

peneumbra

Explorer
@ Hilldweller: I know that some folks are really uncomfortable in them. They seem to fit me fine. I have several different models, and they're all comfortable for serious walking...

travelinghamish

I like and use Meindel and have done had the same pair for the last ten years or so. I don't do heaps of hiking but when I do its in tough terrain that is wet cold muddy and steep and these boots are far and away the best I have ever had.

RangeBrover

Explorer
I've been wearing a pair of Asolo TPS 520 GV Hiking boots for well over 5 years now. They have performed well and have always been comfortable, their only downside is they are slightly heavier than a synthetic boot because of their full leather construction.

keezer37

Explorer
I recently bought a pair of Merrell Proterra Mid Sport Gore-Tex hiking shoes. They call them minimalist but if you wear anything like New Balance's barefoot shoes, these will just feel like regular shoes to you. (See, you've spoiled yourself and know you can't go back to the Herman Munster shoes.) The sole is a bit thick for my liking, not a lot of ground-feel which I'm used to now and I do wish they were zero drop as opposed to the 4mm they are. But I needed a autumn/spring shoe and while they might be pushing it a bit with the minimalist claim in my opinion, I thought for others that do not wear barefoot shoes, you might want to check them out.

They are sized correctly. I tend between a D & E width, taking an E when available. Like so many shoe manufacturers they have no regards for those who have yet to fully evolve and only offer a D which still give plenty of room with all but my super thick/super dense wool socks, which are winter socks anyways so no big deal.

And it is a bit odd that this waterproof shoe has the tongue gusseted only up to the fourth eyelet. I would have like to have seen it to the fifth. So, there's your waterline so to speak.

It is a comfortable and light hiker, I'll give it that. If you're trending away from the stiff, heavy clodhoppers (you know, the shoes that feel so good when you take them off), these are a good stepping off point. Just don't be bummed about the half-gusseted tongue.

Explorer
I've been wearing a pair of Asolo TPS 520 GV Hiking boots for well over 5 years now. They have performed well and have always been comfortable, their only downside is they are slightly heavier than a synthetic boot because of their full leather construction.

Its a shame they don't have a rebuildable soul on Asolos. The leathers last forever, so you end up throwing away a perfectly good boot because the bottoms wore through.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
What's really a shame is that nobody builds a foot-shaped lightweight-but-tough boot with a good minimalist sole like the Vibram Newporter.
http://www.frankfordleather.com/rubber-soles/vibram-1330-newporter-sole-black.asp

1330_l.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan