The "best" mattress for truck campers

So, I have a Snap! Outfitters Treehouse that, as seems to be the case with most RTTs or truck toppers, a pretty miserable (and cheap) 2" memory foam mattress. I tried layering another foam topper on top of it, but it's still not as supportive as I'd like.

So, what's the best NON-INFLATABLE mattress out there? One that is fairly firm and supportive (I'm a pretty big dude). Seems like a lot of folks gravitate to the Hest, but my platform size (75"x53") doesn't quite match up. I guess there are custom options as well. Any thoughts?

billiebob

At 67 I have tried them all and never been happy so my current home bilt uses a full on mattress. I started with the free double mattress when we replaced my grandsons bed. Today to better fit the camper we use a twin, with storage on the sides. Best way to sleep period, don't buy a mattress to fit the camper... build the camper to fit the mattress and sleep in luxury.

Full 8" mattress sits off the floor and fits flush with the door and storage box top. That frame was the base of the double box spring.... resized for the twin.

DSC_0001.jpg

Last edited:

Hummelator

Adventurer
At 67 I have tried them all and never been happy so my current home bilt uses a full on mattress. I started with the free double mattress when we replaced my grandsons bed. Today to better fit the camper we use a twin, with storage on the sides. Best way to sleep period, don't buy a mattress to fit the camper... build the camper to fit the mattress and sleep in luxury.

Full 8" mattress sits off the floor and fits flush with the door and storage box top. That frame was the base of the double box spring.... resized for the twin.

View attachment 748293

When you say “we use a twin” do you actually sleep two people on a twin? I have a hard enough time with sharing a king lol

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
I found a good one at Ikea for my truck camper, even got to try them out in store. The other option locally is I found a company that builds mattresses for RV companies and will custom build them depending on your likes (Thickness and stiffness). Used that in my class C and it was amazing. Try looking for RV mattress suppliers in your area. In my van I bought a mattress from an Ikea knockoff called Jysk LOVE it as well.

billiebob

When you say “we use a twin” do you actually sleep two people on a twin? I have a hard enough time with sharing a king lol
Yes, the mattress is 40" wide but there are two winter expedition sleeping bags on that, 60" wide plus a 3 season we sleep under most of the time. The sleeping "width" is still the full 60" trailer width. And the 8" at each side with solid boxes are kind of invisible.

DSCN1471.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger