The "big 4" survival firearms are:

rotti

Adventurer
AR-15, Glock 19, Remington 870 and Ruger 10/22

Found this on a survival type forum and I really can't argue with it at all.
Glad to say I have got it covered....except I prefer my Glocks in .40 caliber.

All my local stores are sold out of the "big four" except for the 870.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I'd say that the best calibers for survival are the ones that get the job done, that you can afford to shoot the most often. (So as to become as familiar and as accurate as possible.)

for me that's 9mm, .223, 12g, and .22

Gun choice doesn't really matter, IMO. There's great examples in each caliber from $200 to $2000.00

Keep in mind, a .38 caliber smith and wesson M&P revolver used by an experienced man or woman, though, will do anything those other calibers will do in a pinch. ( A la, "the road")

-defend against baddies
-kill a deer
-kill a pheasant
-look menacing enough to stop a fight before it starts
-put a suffering animal down
-keep going bang until it's out of ammo
-be completely inconspicuous in a coat pocket
-not be so heavy that you have to leave it on the side of the road on a long 40 mile hike
-etc.

:)

Desert Dan

Explorer
If I was starting from scratch I might get a pistol and rifle that shared the same cartridges and a 12 Ga. This way I'd only need 2 types of shells.

Just a thought on simplicity.

irish_11

Explorer
If I was starting from scratch I might get a pistol and rifle that shared the same cartridges and a 12 Ga. This way I'd only need 2 types of shells.

Just a thought on simplicity.

Worked for those who settled the West. A rifle and handgun in .357, .44mag, .44special, etc means less ammo types you have to carry. Less ammo to carry to me equates to less weight. Light weight equals more speed/distance covered if we are talking having to pack the gear on foot.

I like the idea of sticking to widely avaliable calibers. To me that means .22, 9mm, .45, 5.56, 7.62x51, 30-30, 30-06 and 12 gauge. Those can be found just about coast to coast in any sporting good store or place that would have ammo.

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
How about a pump BB gun? I know it's not very useful against a bad guy but can be very effective at hunting small game...

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Worked for those who settled the West. A rifle and handgun in .357, .44mag, .44special, etc means less ammo types you have to carry. Less ammo to carry to me equates to less weight. Light weight equals more speed/distance covered if we are talking having to pack the gear on foot.

I like the idea of sticking to widely avaliable calibers. To me that means .22, 9mm, .45, 5.56, 7.62x51, 30-30, 30-06 and 12 gauge. Those can be found just about coast to coast in any sporting good store or place that would have ammo.

The flip side to this...if you have a big variety you'll have a better chance of using any ammo that comes available. Whether it be in trade, store stock, Etc.

I'm like most though .223, .40, 12ga and .22lr. I almost bought some 7.62 the other day just because it was there.

Willy G

Adventurer
I might add a Remington 700 in a 270 caliber, just a down right unbelievable gun that will not break down and very accurate at long range, but just the fact that most gun stores carry the 270 round in various styles of ammunition.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
That's true. Very fast straight shooting round. I forgot about my .270. Very popular hunting round sure to be found everywhere.

Expedition Leader
The flip side to this...if you have a big variety you'll have a better chance of using any ammo that comes available. Whether it be in trade, store stock, Etc.

Agree completely. I store lots of 7.62 NATO, 5.56 NATO, .45 ACP, 12ga, .410ga, and .22LR because that's what I shoot but also because any of them may be acceptable trade goods. I have the luxury of already being "bugged out", and hence the room to store it and a disincentive to leave here, where we have water, sustainable food, food storage, game etc. all away from any city/town and not near any major highway/travel route.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
How about a pump BB gun? I know it's not very useful against a bad guy but can be very effective at hunting small game...

Some of the .22 pump air rifles are pretty nice. Very practical for small game, as they are for the most part silent, and it's easy to carry a pocket full of pellets.

If you need to supplement your food, and save on ammo, plus be silent, it's a good thing.

Problem being, in my view, is it's more to carry, as I wouldn't substitute one of the 'big four' to carry one.

However if you are in a group, having someone carry one makes good sense.

Lighter ammo means more "rounds to the pound". One of the reasons the Military went from .30 cal rounds to the .556.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman