the Big Beast is back, with winch and lights and a new tent!

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
I should have a chance next weekend to try it out - going to Cow Mountain with my broter and dad (stock Xterra OR and stock '90 littleCherokee). Snagged the XRC8 during the 4wp 10% sale, had to cut off the riser bar and in the process realized how much better it looked without. The lights are Hella Rallye 4000's. Not shown are Hella 550's for the rear. Switch panel nicely replaces the old non-working digital clock, I think... The tent is an Enel Adventure II, purchased from TentsOnTrucks.com. Great service, and I will give a full report on how it fared. I will keep y'all posted...

IMG_1714.JPG

IMG_1711.JPG

IMG_1715.JPG

IMG_1716.JPG

IMG_1718.JPG

IMG_1719.JPG

IMG_1721.JPG

JPFreek1

Explorer
Now that's pretty freaking cool! Pray tell how it worked out at Cow Mountain this coming weekend. Looks like it'll do great for the trip. Have fun!

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
I ain't done yet... new carpet, headliner, seals, retrofit air con, real seat belts, a second gas tank, dual jerry cans (45gal = 500+mi range), and a few more goodies are waiting in the wings. The goal is to have it remain vintage on the outside and be totally modern and comfortable inside. Thus the 80 sq ft of dynamat. I am having a blast with it, so glad I sold the grand cherk.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I some ways I wish that I still had my Cherokee Chief. It had two tanks for a total of 53 gallons of fuel. Unfortunately that 360 really was thirsty. I contemplated swapping in a more efficient engine, but the body rust made it not worth pursuing.
Still, I liked how that rig drove.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
I finally justified it through the wonders of Math®

1000 mi @ 14mpg = 71 gallons @ $4.50/gal = $319
1000 mi @ 20mpg = 50 gallons @ $4.50/gal = $225

So an extra $100 per thousand miles is easily absorbed by the cheaper insurance, the higher carrying capacity, the cheaper parts cost, the ability to work on it myself, the beefy-er-ness, and the intangible joy of driving a classic.

And if I ever want to drop in fuel injection, my mpg will climb to the 18's. Or so they claim.

Add to that the fact that I still have yet to drop $3000 into this truck (including purchase) and I'm not too horribly worried.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
I love that truck. What a burly beast.

Add to that the fact that I still have yet to drop $3000 into this truck (including purchase) and I'm not too horribly worried.

Well spend $10 on a gas cap already will ya'? ;)

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Dude,

Nice winch and lights!
I spent a weekend at Cow Mountain back in April ( http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14310 ) . Nice place but watch out for the motorcycles because they pretty much dominate the place from what I hear and head-on collisions are not uncommon. The camping sites can get real rowdy as well. The locals tell me that it's party central on the weekend in the camp sites. I camped at the Red Mountain site and it's real nice and near the obstacle course (not recommended for stock vehicles on the obstacle course) I will be up at our place in Lake County this weekend. PM me if you want my phone number and maybe I can meet you for some fun if I have time. Another camp site that might be a bit mellower is the Sheldon Creek site off of Highland Springs - You also might consider Boggs Forest in Cobb (my backyard) they have several camp sites and is rarely crowded.
-

jim65wagon

Ok you guys need to stop posting pics of those FSJs! It brings tears to my eyes! The absolute coolness is unbelievable! I feel so unworthy...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78