The Bowman Odyssey Rig

JoeH

Roanoke! We're from Lexington, originally. Spent many a Saturday night at the theater in the Star City.

Right on. I know guy who's an engineer in Lexington. Rides a DR650 - beautiful family and a pretty cool peer group. It's a small town - maybe you know him.

Paul B.

Adventurer
Ok, I was already in. But with a 1 year old kid and a truck w/290K? I, along with yourself and your wife, question your sanity. With great admiration.

brushogger

Explorer
🏻🏻🏼 Definitely subbed! You have a pair man. I mean large,swinging, brass ones. I wish I'd have taken the chance to do this when I was younger. I had the opportunity at 25, but pissed it away out of fear and worry about what the family would think. I spent 20 years in a marriage the bit the dust, and have been working for the same company for 38 years. Fortunately, 9 years ago, I met the true love of my life, and found a woman who enjoys traveling as much as I do. In 4 years, we will be retiring and traveling full time in our FJ and off road teardrop trailer. We've already started the downsizing process and should be ordering the camper in 18 months or so. We have already had to start addressing questions from family and friends about how "crazy" this is. My brother said "proper retirement planning means you can maintain your current lifestyle." We want to escape our current lifestyle. Kudos to you and your wife for taking this plunge with such a young one. Travel is such a rounding experience. She will grow into an amazing person who sees it as normal to live beyond society's definition of "the norm". You may want to check out the blog of another young couple, Yeager and Beth, who I met at Expo last spring (traveling-trio.com). They started their adventure last year, and I believe you have much in common with them. Safe travels to you and yours.

engineerd

Desk Jockey
You're insane, dude. I'm going to keep watching just to see how insane you get ;)

In all seriousness, as soon as I saw you were doing this on the Book of Face, I got a bit jealous that you have the balls to actually do it and a wife who is all in as well. It'll be an amazing adventure for you guys and hopefully something your daughter will remember and treasure.

Klutch7

YES! I was a huge fan of your writing for R&T - especially the article about purchasing this monster! I'm excited to see you post a build thread here, hopefully followed by some chronicles of your adventures. Are you writing anything about your trip for R&T as well? I saw Alex Roy post about the writing for thedrive.com.

Last edited:

LeftofLucky

Observer
🏻🏻🏼 Definitely subbed! You have a pair man. I mean large,swinging, brass ones. I wish I'd have taken the chance to do this when I was younger. I had the opportunity at 25, but pissed it away out of fear and worry about what the family would think. I spent 20 years in a marriage the bit the dust, and have been working for the same company for 38 years. Fortunately, 9 years ago, I met the true love of my life, and found a woman who enjoys traveling as much as I do. In 4 years, we will be retiring and traveling full time in our FJ and off road teardrop trailer. We've already started the downsizing process and should be ordering the camper in 18 months or so. We have already had to start addressing questions from family and friends about how "crazy" this is. My brother said "proper retirement planning means you can maintain your current lifestyle." We want to escape our current lifestyle. Kudos to you and your wife for taking this plunge with such a young one. Travel is such a rounding experience. She will grow into an amazing person who sees it as normal to live beyond society's definition of "the norm". You may want to check out the blog of another young couple, Yeager and Beth, who I met at Expo last spring (traveling-trio.com). They started their adventure last year, and I believe you have much in common with them. Safe travels to you and yours.

Haha. Man, if you didn't just sum up every reason why we're doing this. I've watched my grandfather, my uncles, and my father sacrifice the bulk of their lives to companies that cared little for their time and less for them as people. And for what? A galaxy of throw away things. I'm honestly not sure I would have had the courage to do this without my wife. We've got a narrow window of years here before our daughter needs to be in school and we have to get back into a house, and we didn't want to have to wait for a retirement that may never come to do this.

LeftofLucky

Observer
YES! I was a huge fan of your writing for R&T - especially the article about purchasing this monster! I'm excited to see you post a build thread here, hopefully followed by some chronicles of your adventures. Are you writing anything about your trip for R&T as well? I saw Alex Roy post about the writing for thedrive.com.

Thanks, man. I'm out the door at R&T, so my stuff won't show up over there anymore.

brushogger

Explorer
Haha. Man, if you didn't just sum up every reason why we're doing this. I've watched my grandfather, my uncles, and my father sacrifice the bulk of their lives to companies that cared little for their time and less for them as people. And for what? A galaxy of throw away things. I'm honestly not sure I would have had the courage to do this without my wife. We've got a narrow window of years here before our daughter needs to be in school and we have to get back into a house, and we didn't want to have to wait for a retirement that may never come to do this.

There is always home schooling. We have met a few families on our travels that do it on the road. One family was doing with 4 kids for a year while hiking the Appalachian Trail! My wife is an elementary public school teacher and you may want to speak with her. She claims she could cover the average amount of material actually taught in a school day in 1-2 hours easily if she was in a one on one situation with a child, and the socialization aspect of having a child in the PS school system is highly overrated. Also, if you get a chance, have a lunch in a PS cafeteria. The food is all contracted, warmed up, processed crap. No actual food at all. And the high schools just truck in fast food. I do understand that home schooling isn't for everyone though.

Last edited:

CRolandLJ

Adventurer
You're doing it right. I've got an 9 month old and have all but talked my wife into doing the same thing before he starts school. I'll be watching closely, good luck and let me know if you need a spot to land in Texas at some point. Do you guys have a route in mind at all or just kinda wherever you feel like going?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger