The Buddy Expedition-Austin to Ushuaia!

trailsurfer

Explorer
Just found your trip report. Looks like you all are having a great time! It is a hot dry summer here in Durango. Look forward to your future updates. Mike

Well, things have changed...a lot

I think I'll ramble on a bit and give you an insight into our daily activities. We start the day just like most folks do, wake up, make coffee and really that's about it as far as normal day to day stuff. I inspect Uma before we depart to another destination, check the oil, tires, etc...we have to batten down everything prior to departure especially since we are in some remote places with poor road conditions.

Daily we move things around, open storage bins, look for toiletries, spare contacts, DEET, Band-Aids, etc....it's a lot of repetition of opening and shutting drawers and stowing things away.

We check our house and truck batteries, clean the solar panels, empty the Thetford (toilet waste), check our water supply and then begin the process of deciding our next destination. This usually requires some reading, checking the internet and our best source, The Lonely Planet guide books. We left Playas and headed to the mountains, 13,000 feet and the temp went from 85 to 35 in a matter of hours.

Sometimes if we're driving in the mountains too long and it gets dark, I'll find a restaurant or tienda and ask if I can park in their lot for the night, so far we've never been turned away, especially when your offer a fiver as compensation! The quarters in here are snug, just like on a boat but we do have everything we need to stay remote for weeks.

Viv usually cooks and I drive, navigate and other things like deal with finding diesel and chatting with locals about places to stay and whether or not they are safe. So far, we've had zero unsafe experiences or bad dealings with anyone, other than an occasional finger pointed at unruly drivers in downtown areas or unsafe bus drivers passing me in a corner on a two lane.

I have stopped eating local fare and we prepare our own meals on a daily basis. Last night we had Deviled Ham and brie sammies with pita chips and tonight it's chicken fried chicken strips, cream gravy, bbq sauce, brie mashed potatoes and asparagus....you heard right, chicken fried chicken. You can take the man out of the states but you can't take the states out of the man!

My gut still isn't right, so I started another regiment of Cipro, surely if I stopped the rum and guanabana juice that would probably help but I guess I'll never know! :>)

Cabin fever does exist, I can tell you from experience. Whenever we start bickering, its usually due to one of two things....we've been somewhere too long or we're hungry. We started stopping at more local/tourist areas to experience the indigenous ways of whatever area we're in.

For instance, a few days ago we needed to shower so we stopped at some hot springs in St. Vicente to relax and clean up and what a nice change of pace. Next we headed to Parc Nacional Cajas but at 13,000 feet we we're too lethargic to do anything so we headed to Cuenca and the Ingapirca Ruins to do some walking and get the blood flowing.

We'll stay in Cuenca for a few days then head South and eventually cross into Peru in a week or three.

Overlanding is a blast but it is work.....I wish I could do this forever!!!!

Many folks have asked why did I chose this time of year, the lack of people is the answer

Our friends, Tom and Brook in a Subaru engined VW Synchro 4x4

Juice, looking out my door

Uma attracts every overlander we see...

A pair of boobies for Rocky

Frigate birds, thieving twits can't even fish they steal from the boobies

Isla de la Plata

I love these guys and their funky dance

Sea turtle

Josh_G

Observer
Interested in more detailed pictures of the interior of Uma. How is the cab laid out? Is there a pass through...etc etc.

Many folks have asked why did I chose this time of year, the lack of people is the answer

Our friends, Tom and Brook in a Subaru engined VW Synchro 4x4

Juice, looking out my door

Uma attracts every overlander we see...

A pair of boobies for Rocky

Frigate birds, thieving cunts can't even fish they steal from the boobies

Isla de la Plata

I love these guys and their funky dance

Sea turtle

I think I'll ramble on a bit and give you an insight into our daily activities. We start the day just like most folks do, wake up, make coffee and really that's about it as far as normal day to day stuff. I inspect Uma before we depart to another destination, check the oil, tires, etc...we have to batten down everything prior to departure especially since we are in some remote places with poor road conditions.

Daily we move things around, open storage bins, look for toiletries, spare contacts, DEET, Band-Aids, etc....it's a lot of repetition of opening and shutting drawers and stowing things away.

We check our house and truck batteries, clean the solar panels, empty the Thetford (toilet waste), check our water supply and then begin the process of deciding our next destination. This usually requires some reading, checking the internet and our best source, The Lonely Planet guide books. We left Playas and headed to the mountains, 13,000 feet and the temp went from 85 to 35 in a matter of hours.

Sometimes if we're driving in the mountains too long and it gets dark, I'll find a restaurant or tienda and ask if I can park in their lot for the night, so far we've never been turned away, especially when your offer a fiver as compensation! The quarters in here are snug, just like on a boat but we do have everything we need to stay remote for weeks.

Viv usually cooks and I drive, navigate and other things like deal with finding diesel and chatting with locals about places to stay and whether or not they are safe. So far, we've had zero unsafe experiences or bad dealings with anyone, other than an occasional finger pointed at unruly drivers in downtown areas or unsafe bus drivers passing me in a corner on a two lane.

I have stopped eating local fare and we prepare our own meals on a daily basis. Last night we had Deviled Ham and brie sammies with pita chips and tonight it's chicken fried chicken strips, cream gravy, bbq sauce, brie mashed potatoes and asparagus....you heard right, chicken fried chicken. You can take the man out of the states but you can't take the states out of the man!

My gut still isn't right, so I started another regiment of Cipro, surely if I stopped the rum and guanabana juice that would probably help but I guess I'll never know! :>)

Cabin fever does exist, I can tell you from experience. Whenever we start bickering, its usually due to one of two things....we've been somewhere too long or we're hungry. We started stopping at more local/tourist areas to experience the indigenous ways of whatever area we're in.

For instance, a few days ago we needed to shower so we stopped at some hot springs in St. Vicente to relax and clean up and what a nice change of pace. Next we headed to Parc Nacional Cajas but at 13,000 feet we we're too lethargic to do anything so we headed to Cuenca and the Ingapirca Ruins to do some walking and get the blood flowing.

We'll stay in Cuenca for a few days then head South and eventually cross into Peru in a week or three.

Overlanding is a blast but it is work.....I wish I could do this forever!!!!

Today was a real test of our patience not being 100% fluent in Español. Try locating parts when you don't know the language!!

We blew a 24v to 12v converter so we were without lights in our dining area for 2 days until we could round one up; I bought two!!

(I'd like to thank Joe Bishop, my electrical trades teacher from 1981-1983 for all he taught me.)

We also are in the process of remodeling our rig, pics coming soon. We are having an armoire custom built with some exotic hardwood from the Amazon, LED lighting to replace the halogeon fixtures, there's new paint coming inside and out, upholstery and new windows. We're also having a new storage drawer built that will eliminate our suitcases which currently reside in our salon area, that's why we haven't posted pics of the inside yet. There's also a new seating/entertainment area being designed by us to accommodate 4-6 guests complete with a new sound system and 40" flat screen TV. Most likely the TV will have to wait until we get back in the States due to cost.

The weather here is nice but the overcast, mist and lack of el sol is wearing on us, we need to roll on to Peru for a change of scenery. We've been constantly tinkering, changing, upgrading and doing maintenance to stay busy. We needed to refill our water supply tank today so I decided to carry all 50 gallons (10x5 gallon NATO water cans) just for the hell of it.

We had some water leakage that was evident when we bought the truck so I rebuilt the Shurflo 24 volt pump and now the compartment is dry as a bone. I am in the middle of sourcing replacements for our 24v sink pump and 12v drinking water pump just to have spares.

We've been eating like Vikings as Viv has made some epic meals that include the following:

Chicken Florentine (pounded chicken flat, rolled up spinach and feta) and rice
Chili cheese dogs
Sautéed pork medallions, carrots, mashed potatoes with cream gravy (bacon renderings used)
Fried chicken, fries and bbq sauce ( I couldn't eat more than 4-5 fries)
Fettuccini Alfredo with Italian meatballs and Brussel sprouts

And tonight is chicken curry, steamed veggies and rice!!!

Lunch consists of some horrible quality ham sammies with some decent cheddar cheese, usually grilled or chicken breast sammies with feta. On occasion when we have some extra money we eat out at gringo places and usually have a cheeseburger.

Things we miss the most:

Family (#1)
Friends
BEEF, BEEF AND MORE BEEF!
Eckrich Sausage
Wrights bacon
2nd Amendment
Ease of finding any damn thing you want!

Things we don't miss:

Our messed up government and politics!! Why we can't all unite is beyond me.

$4.00+ per gallon diesel ($1.03 in Ecuador)...$5.60 HERE IN PERU!!

RULES, RULES AND RULES! Driving here is a trip, you can do what you need to do as parking is rare. If you need a cajero automatico, just stop, get out, run up and get some cash!!!

Drugs, there are no junkies, druggies or violence, it's pretty damn tranquilo here.

One reason is the big pharma companies haven't infiltrated this place yet, so everyone is pretty healthy and happy!!

Oh, one more thing, my hair is resting comfortably on my shoulders and I don't care......yes, I'll cut it when I return, it should be half way down my back by then so I can donate it to Locks of Love.

Well, we're in Peru and I must say it was the easiest, most pleasant experience we've ever had dealing with a foreign government! It's weird how when you cross a border it's like changing the channel on your TV, even the scenery changes rapidly.

There are little things some wouldn't notice like the vehicles, people, housing, etc..one thing we noticed right away was how cheap name brand liquor is. For instance, we don't buy name brand stuff due to the high cost, especially in Colombia and Ecuador, however, Peru the cost of a fifth of Bacardi was $7 which would normally cost $40 in Ecuador.

Last night we stayed in Mancora and parked at a hostel with WIFI, security, bathrooms with showers and a swimming pool for $10 SOLS ($3.89 USD).

We had a wonderful time in Ecuador and so far it's been the highlight of our trip, but I feel the further we travel South, the better it will be, especially Patagonia....we are craving some Argentine beef and Malbec!!

Viv has been cooking up a storm and we've been eating very well. It took some time to get into our groove of what to buy, especially when it comes to meat. We stayed in Puyango Ecuador for a few days and they had a wonderful river that looked so inviting, however it was very toxic and had large amounts of mercury and arsenic in it.

What was surprising is that a farmer was pumping water out of it to feed to his pigs and water his garden.....yeah, we ate our own food while we were there!!

One thing we don't like about Peru is the high cost of diesel, about $5.60 per gallon so I'm glad we topped off in Ecuador for $1.03 per gallon. We should be able to make it most of the way through Peru to Chile. Once we get to Argentina, in the South the government subsidizes the fuel, so we'll be watching our spending until then.

I'm getting a few messages from folks wanting to know more about UMA, so I'm starting a bio on her with pictures of her features and functions. Since we haven't had very good internet, it's taking some time, but please check back for the photo album titled "UMA'S Bio".

I think we're going to love Peru!

Here's some interesting factoids of our 4 months on the road:

Condos/Hotels/Hostels stayed in- 37 days, a majority was in Cartagena waiting on our Landcruiser.

Miles traveled-3207

Passport stamps-3

Cops wanting bribes- 0

Unfriendly people we've met- 0

Cheapest fuel (Ecuador)- $1.03

Most expensive fuel (Colombia)-$4.77

Bouts of illness (days)-3

Best street food- Taganga, Colombia had awesome empanadas!!

Hungry dogs fed- 90 (est)

Dogs loved on- 100's

Prettiest beaches- Peru

Coldest night- Parque Nacional Cajas-31F

Highest road traveled-Andes, 14,000'

Longest stay-Cuenca, 3 weeks

Gnarliest road traveled- Ecuador, between Pasto and Macoa, we call it the "The Death Road 2.0"

Cheapest drinks- Montanitas, Ecuador liquor alley has 40+ liquor stands and they all claim to have the stiffest drinks!!!

Worst food- Playas, Ecuador, a family owned cevecheria served me a bowl of crab marinero that put me down for 3 days.

Best food- Viv cooked chicken fried chicken, cream gravy and mashed potatoes with steamed greens....or it could've been any one of her awesome dishes, I've lost count.

Best grocery store- Super Maxi in Ecuador, they had PACE Picante Sauce, Doritos, refried beans and Cheez Whiz!!!

Weirdest place we camped at- a parking lot of a tienda in the Andes

Our favorite towns in Colombia- Cali and Salento

Our favorite towns in Ecuador- Otavalo and Cuenca

Best products we brought on the trip- Dewalt 20v lithium Ion drill, Gerber "Rex Applegate" Edition knife w/sheath, 3 IPODS w/4k songs, 2 portable chairs, Toshiba laptop, YETI Cooler, dual 12v lighter adapter (to power the GPS and IPODS simultaneously), Garmin 2555LMT GPS and our Endless Breeze 12v fan!!!!!

When we landed in Cartagena Colombia we were both horrified from the minute we left the security of the airport and jumped into a taxi without a meter. Lonely Planet will tell you never, ever get in a taxi without a meter because you will most likely get robbed or worse.

We stayed in the nicest place in Cartagena waiting on our vehicle and across the street was a bakery that smelled soooo lovely in the morning. However, I was very apprehensive about walking over there and buying some bread for a few reasons, mostly out of fear.

Once you realize 99% of all people are just like you and that a smile goes a long way, your fears subside and your comfort and confidence go way up. Yes, I carry two knives for protection, both well hidden as not to intimidate anyone but the only times I have brandished it was to pop a beer cap off! We also have a PLB (personal locater beacon) by Delorme called INREACH. It allows tracking of your every move, text messages and a SOS function that sends the cavalry if you get into a life or death situation; we don't even turn it on anymore.

We meet a lot of foreigners, many from Germany and they all tell me that they see the fewest Americans while traveling. They always mention we're unusual or different because most gringos never leave the country and the one's that do definitely don't travel in their own vehicle.

I guess the point of this rant is to put your fears aside and get out there and see the world, it can be a beautiful and cruel place, but one worth seeing and I'm fortunate that we're able to do this.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alannaokun/quotes-about-travel

Every country has different propane bottles so I started buying just the regulators and filling my own bottles

Stuff for our remodel of UMA

Tony the dog taunting our stray kitty....btw, the kitty wins every time

It's sad when every vehicle you see you say, "that would make a great overland rig"

Peru is getting more modern as we travel South...

Our home in Huanchaco for the next month

Tommy the tortoise

Peacocks too

Pimental Peru, some dude built some pyramids at his hostel

Deserted beach, of course it's Winter here

Another satisfied stray with a full belly

Not all of our campsites are glamorous

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78