The build begins

Porterdog

Its been a year with my 2008 Chevy Express Passenger van and this weekend I'm starting the process of modifying her. Over the past year I've spent an embarrassing amount of time shifting through different build threads trying to decide how big of a project I was going to tackle. I've decided to simplify my build and go with a weekender build. I envy those who have the skills to create a full camper. Having the van for year has given insight in to how I want the interior to function. My top priority has been to maintain versatility as it is my only motorized vehicle. I've removed the plastic paneling from the rear of van and am going to insulate it with Refletix and replacing the plastic with with plywood. The next step will be to build a sleeping platform. I'm borrowing heavily from the NARV van thread (BTW thank you). That's the basic plan. So, as I dive into this project I have a few questions to start:

1) I'm waffling back and forth between 1/2 and 3/4 in plywood for the interior walls. I will be using them for structural support so, I'm leaning more towards 3/4. What do folks recommend?

2) What type of screws should I use to attache the panels to the van? I've read all kinds of options on what to use.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I plug along and I'll try to get pics up as well. Thanks all! Happy weekend!

dar395

Adventurer
I'd drop down the panel size to 1/4 inch and using 1x2's for support, the only 1/2 inch plywood would be for the sleeping platform top and the counter top if you end up with one. I've had my van on the road for over 10K and these sizes work very well with out the weight.

While your planning you might want to look into a frame rail GM battery box, bolt holes on the drivers side of your van, I've added two and this was an easy task and a great way to make the van more useable for off the grid.

Some input on your build. Have a great time and hope to see you get in on the road!

simple

Adventurer
I'd drop down the panel size to 1/4 inch and using 1x2's for support, the only 1/2 inch plywood would be for the sleeping platform top and the counter top if you end up with one. I've had my van on the road for over 10K and these sizes work very well with out the weight.

While your planning you might want to look into a frame rail GM battery box, bolt holes on the drivers side of your van, I've added two and this was an easy task and a great way to make the van more useable for off the grid.

Some input on your build. Have a great time and hope to see you get in on the road!

I used a combo of 1x2's and 1/4 inch apple ply for the vertical pieces and 3/8 apple ply for the platform. My horizontal spans weren't longer than 24"s before having a supporting structure of 1/4". I broke up the span by incorporating vertical supports that were the walls for full extension pull out drawers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger