The Build Begins :)

srgsng25

Observer
so i was given a trailer a few months ago i know the old saying you get what you pay for LOL and yes that is a harbor freight trailer not the exact one as pictured the one i have has the single tongue coming out with a short A-frame

Phase 1 "rip old box off the it easier said than done" nothing a saws-all and flow torch could not take care of"

Phase 2 "re-weld and beefing up the frame" i opted to make a great deal for labor and supplies all i had to do was provide Pizza and soda to some kids at the local Vocation Tech High School Program

We are planning to add a 4' X 8' X 32" Box to the trailer for all of our gear i have to pack enough supplies for 2 families it feels like with my kids and all their friends so we over pack always

I am stuck right now about a Bike racks or tent on top we have 4 mountain bikes plus my huge recumbent Trike so i am stuck at that point so far any input or thoughts this is entirely Low budget as i am on disability and that is all i get to play with each month as per my mean wife

Thanks all

Attachments

• image_18794.jpg
    image_18794.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 218

EdwardBernal

Adventurer
Hey bud: Welcome to the club - I'm in the process of modifiying a trailer (not really a "build") myself. With all due respect, your post was a tough read.
So the existing trailer had a box that you removed and you are replacing it with an open plywood box? Sounds like you guys like to ride bike on your outings.
5 bikes (dont know what a huge recumbent Trike is ) will probably fill up most of the space so yes, a bike rack(s) looks like a good option. Do you go
off-road at all? What other gear do you guys take besides the bikes? These were some of the questions I asked myself before looking for a trailer
Can you post up some pictures to get an idea of what you are working with? That will help me and probably others make some suggestions...

srgsng25

Observer
sorry about my poor grammar and sorry about the poor readability at my last post that I am highly dislikes dyslexic was on my daughter's laptop computer which does not have Dragon installed on.

The original trailer box was made of half-inch sheets of plywood that were half rotted out, so we are building a brand-new plywood enclosed box out of three-quarter inch marine grade plywood and then staining that.

mostly, we say to the forest service roads. I wish I could be like all you guys who had beautiful 4 wheelers.

we have the same gear as everyone else except we are a family of four with two huge dogs and a worse from 2 to 3 extra teenagers with us at any given time, so I tend to over pack in overkill on everything. After several years of car camping and collecting various pieces of older camping gear, we're in the process of upgrading and replenishing old, worn-out equipment. So I've been getting lots of great cost savings ideas on do-it-yourself projects on this forum.

here's a picture of what my monster recumbent looks like http://trikeasylum.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/actionbent-t1a-recumbent-tadpole-trike.jpeg , except mine is in blue

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger