The Chuckbox

mudbutt

Explorer
714122576_jPtCz-L.jpg

Simple, functional, effective, and cheap..... I like it.

Frank

Explorer
We need more pictures of chuck boxes in this thread. Come on people.

Im hoping to build mine this winter.

paulj

Expedition Leader
My chuckbox is 2-3 8 gallon Rubbermaid boxes. One holds the cooking gear, a Trangia stove set, a small GSI wok, plates, cups, bowls, utensils, etc. Another holds most of the dry food (cans, packages etc). The optional third holds a 10" dutch oven, and associated gear.

During meal times I put the 2 boxes on the camp table or its benches, and only take out the gear and food I'll need. Everything is packed away after the meal, and put back in the car. It takes some effort to pack everything in the boxes, but it helps us keep a clean camp.

When we sleep in the Element, the 2 boxes stack on a front seat, with the dog's bed on top. There is space for a small cooler on the other front seat, with 6' of sleeping space for 2 adults in the back. I have to leave some non-food gear outside in a heavy duty Rubbermaid box (industrial Brute model) and a waterproof duffel.

Ash

Adventurer
Anyone had any experience with the Kanz? They look amazing and are now on my shopping list.

Ash

pyrate

Rollin' along
I found a neat box that was easy to convert to a chuck box. I borrowed from the Kanz method of building, but at a fraction of the cost.

View attachment 61583View attachment 61584View attachment 61585

What was the original use of that box? That is cool.

I like having this kind of thing but most of my camping is in bear country and you end up having to unload all food items into bear boxes so I quit building these type boxes. But cool designs guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12