The CrowsWing - Offroad Teardrop Trailer

CLynn85

Explorer
Just had a VIP tour of the CrowsWing this weekend and frankinjeep is right, pics don't do it justice at all. Seriously one of the nicest DIY trailer builds I've ever seen, very well thought out and a lot of time and patience put into the planning and construction and it looks like it really paid off. Jim and Beth have taken Glamping to a whole new level :p with this one.

loren85022

Explorer
When I look at the Flickr photos, I get;
This photo is private.

Oops! You don't have permission to view this photo.

Sent from my iToaster

jungleb0y

6289328773_78b75d3480.jpg
6289336909_efd44c70e4.jpg

Elizabeth discovered Googles Sketchup program and began work on our own teardrop. As she worked through the winter with the CAD program we discussed the items we needed for our travel. Refrigerator, stove, oven, wine rack, classic looks - yet fitting to the style of the tow vehicle (2003 Toyota Tundra 4x4). Boxed steel frame, offroad tires (same as the truck), big water tank, 2 propane tanks, inflatable kayaks, the list goes on..Beth designs, I build the frame, we both build the body. Plan in motion…..Beth joined the Teardrops & Tiny Travel Trailers forum and I joined the Tearjerkers forum..At one point during the design process we flitted with the idea of a Sportmobile style 4x4 van. It was an attractive option for us, until we went to the RV show in DC. There were van conversions there for the crawling through. I was less than impressed with the room in the kitchen and the thought of frying bacon inside (bacon is awesome, but I don’t want to smell it weeks after I cook it!) made me queasy - then we got to the price tag. Back to the teardrop..  More sketchup plans. It’s getting better all the time.
6144824497_dd9091ee28_z.jpg
6145375600_4c28bfdacd.jpg

I was wondering if you guys have or will be willing to publish your Google sketchup files? I searched around on Google but I didn't see the files on there.

jim65wagon

I was wondering if you guys have or will be willing to publish your Google sketchup files? I searched around on Google but I didn't see the files on there.

No, we have not and likely will not publish the sketchup files. Anyone can buy or build a 5x10 frame, and between this build, other builds here, the wealth of info on the internet, and even the build plans on the tnttt site, design, modify and build their own version of a teardrop.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Yeah that's true but than somebody would have to spend some of their own precious time doing so when it's much easier to just confiscate all the time, angst, thought, planning and intellectual power you and Elizabeth put into this build.

jim65wagon

Beth did a nice painting for the door on the wine cabinet

and we actually got it out on unpaved forest roads! Deep runoff swales, mud puddles, rocks, and enough switchbacks with the truck leaning one way while the trailer leaned the other to give us a decent test of its ability. Everything performed admirably......except those trailer springs are noisy!

Papa

Observer
Fantastic painting Beth - you two have every right to be proud and deserve all the accolades. What are you going to do next winter to entertain us all?

jim65wagon

I realize I've never actually finished the build thread and left all yall hanging around breathlessly awaiting the end......even though we've been on several trips now. The final product works well, I'm happy to say.

Now I will be providing those detail shots I promised so long ago. First: a riddle.

What do you get when you cross this:
6670400359_809350c874.jpg

With this?

If your answer is "Fifty Shades of Hays" You are absolutely..........
WRONG!

It's not my red room of pain but rather obviously it's the ratchet straps to hold the 40 gallon water tank in place!

A shurflo water pump powers the sprayer, and the water fill is 2-1/2" tubing. You can see the tubing going through the bulkhead to the exterior water fill.

The outflow runs from the water pump to the back of the Sprayaway sprayer/hose storage unit.

The granite tile countertop

The kitchen

The Camp Chef oven/stove

This is the latch to hold the oven drawer open. It hides behind the oven in the corner of the drawer and locks into a corresponding notch in the cupboard floor

The glassware cupboard with room for wine glasses (we're currently using the stemless variety - the stem style get a little tippy on the ground)

The wine rack hides behind the glassware

The refrigerator is a front opening Norcold DE-0751. Go ahead and tell me how much less efficient it is than the chest style and how the cold air drops out when you open the door. It operates on 12v or 120v, has the same compressor as the chest refrigerator, and keeps the food cold. Plus we don't have to dig through layers of food to get the stuff we want. Besides, if it's good enough for the yachting crowd it's good enough for us!

The kitchen light is the TACO Luma Led tube light (also a marine product) It shines in white or red with the flick of a switch on the counter backsplash.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179