The CUCV Build-1986 M1031 Mobile Field Maintenance Assault Vehicle

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Ok, so you guys wanted more. Well, this is probably the coolest part of the build so far. Onboard hot water shower. It all started when my girlfriend and I were standing in Cabela's looking at this portable black bag solar shower thing. I said, "Hey, how about something like this?". If you have ever taken a female counterpart out camping for more than one night, you will eventually discover that they won't function as well as they should without a shower. To avoid confrontation and make the whole trip just better for all parties involved, I had the whole shower while camping idea. Well, as she examined the nicely packaged device, many questions arose.
-How much water will I have?
-How hot will the water be?
-What kind of pressure are we talking?
-How long will the water take to get hot?
-In terms of thermodynamics, how big a part does temperature stratification play into the system when calculating the coefficient of heat loss due to this inadequate thermal barrier that the storage tank is made of?
-Seriously, no shower curtain?

Well, I don't necessarily understand everything coming out of an engineer's mouth, but I have a general understanding of how to make women happy. So upon noticing her disappointment in these "cheap" shower kits, I nodded, "Oh, I'll get you a shower!" and off to the drawing boards we went.

IMG_1664.jpg
Let's start off with the core of the system. This is a 30 plate heat exchanger. They are common use for chilling beer wort, we're just gonna use it backwards from how it was originally designed. Mounted it inline before coolant goes into heater core. Could have gotten a 20 plate as the 30 plate makes more than enough heat. We're talking 100+ degrees increase in temperature with a single pass.

IMG_2031.jpg
IMG_2067.jpg
Used a 18 gallon Valterra ABS tank. These things are so simple and a great bargain. I had to weld up an aluminum cradle to hold it up under the truck bed.

IMG_2489.jpg
Few options with this pump setup. We can pump water into and out of the onboard storage tank or 5 gallon water cans, run the 25' hose with coarse filter out to a lake or river and pump it right from there, or hook up a water hose from someone's house or something and not even use the pump. Before any water goes through pump, it runs through small particle screen filter. To activate the 12vdc water pump, there is a switch on the dashboard and inside the cabinet that the shower is in. They both have to be engaged to run the on-demand pump.

IMG_1731.jpg
And on the business end I had to incorporate a mixing valve to get the temperature down to showering temperature. Also have a valve before shower head to conserve water. If needed, a hose can attach after mixing valve to wash the dogs or someones car or whatever.

IMG_1736.jpg
Of course, had to make the ladies happy with a shower curtain. Just bent some 1/2" EMT and got a 9" curtain.

IMG_1818.jpg
Curtain rod gets stored up on roof around spare tire.

IMG_2366.jpg
Ahhh, perfect shower temperature everytime!

IMG_1749.jpg
Here is a recent setup taking water out of water cans. Full bore flow, 5 gallons last about 4 minutes.

IMG_1750.jpg
Nothing beats a nice warm shower after a few days out and about. Oh, and remind your female counterparts not to bring a flashlight into shower with them when it's dark...:Wow1:

Last edited:

406expo

Adventurer
I like the shower a lot! Hard to not appreciate some hot running water while out in the Bush. I'm going to start putting together a plan for hot water in my expo trailer, really like what you did. I think I'm going to have to run mine off of lpg but well done sir.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
I like the shower a lot! Hard to not appreciate some hot running water while out in the Bush. I'm going to start putting together a plan for hot water in my expo trailer, really like what you did. I think I'm going to have to run mine off of lpg but well done sir.

Yes, sometimes a simple shower goes a long way. I was looking at the lpg units they sell. I didn't want to sacrifice the space for that. Plus, while lpg may be convenient to setup and use, I don't see it as efficient. Lpg don't work so good at low temps. What effect does high altitude have on it? Plus all those canisters. I'm actually wanting to convert all my lpg equipment over to Coleman fuel(white gas), just so I don't have to carry all those silly canisters around. My old Coleman lpg lantern goes through a small green canister in 2 hours! Not sure how much the lpg shower heater units use, but I can't imagine it to good. Regardless, there are many ways to rig up a hot water shower, this design just fit my vehicle and lifestyle. But thanks for the compliment and good luck with your plans! At the end of the day, all that matters is that nice hot shower...

Trailboss

Senior Curmudgeon
Great mods, PG!

I checked under my M1031 and also found the aluminum bed mounts were torn. I guess metal fatigue with a less than ideal design is giving issues after 30 years. Thanks for the heads up.

406expo

Adventurer
Yes a shower is a game changer. I've only used the LPG showers a few times in the past but was very pleased. That wasn't at elevation where I live now, but I have no issue at running anything currently off of LPG at 6k to 7k elevation so far. The only thing I have noticed is on the generator they have special high elevation jets you install to get it to run nicely. Other than that have had great success with LPG. I don't blame you though If I was burning out those little coleman tanks every two hours i would get something new.

when I get it all set up I will really see how it works out lol, hopefully its ok!

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Great mods, PG!

I checked under my M1031 and also found the aluminum bed mounts were torn. I guess metal fatigue with a less than ideal design is giving issues after 30 years. Thanks for the heads up.

No problem on the heads up. My brother gave me the heads up when he was following me in his truck down a trail. He gets over the radio and says the box is rolling side to side and he can see it separate from the vehicle chassis. :eek: I thought it felt extra sluggish back there. I believe the belt for the pto was the only thing keeping the contact body on the vehicle.

I think it's more of a bushings gone bad scenario rather than poor design. The aluminum chassis is pretty thick, but if those old rubber bushings go bad, the aluminum gets over stressed. Add in some offroading that the vehicle is not designed to do and you have a recipe for disaster. You wouldn't happen to have or know a source for replacement bushings for the contact body do you? I kind of made my own polyurethane ones.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Yes a shower is a game changer. I've only used the LPG showers a few times in the past but was very pleased. That wasn't at elevation where I live now, but I have no issue at running anything currently off of LPG at 6k to 7k elevation so far. The only thing I have noticed is on the generator they have special high elevation jets you install to get it to run nicely. Other than that have had great success with LPG. I don't blame you though If I was burning out those little coleman tanks every two hours i would get something new.

when I get it all set up I will really see how it works out lol, hopefully its ok!

I wish you the best of luck. The big downside to my system is that you have to run the engine while showering. You should be able to setup everything and go without disturbing anyone. The amount of fuel used is negligible as it's just idling for 10 or 15 minutes, but it's diesel, and it's loud and there is exhaust all about. I've read of some people adding a second pump to "circulate" the heated water into an insulated storage tank. That way you can just pump some already hot water out of tank for shower without running engine. But that adds possibly another tank and pump and four extra miles of hose. Too much complexity for me. My system is already too complicated!

406expo

Adventurer
Plethora,

Im hoping to have a battery bank and a solar set up lol, so we will see how it goes. Wish I was making the kinda progress you are!

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Plethora,

Im hoping to have a battery bank and a solar set up lol, so we will see how it goes. Wish I was making the kinda progress you are!

A panel and some deep cylces really would open up possibilities. And you don't need to do any speedy progress. You already live out west. I need to get out there yesterday! One day soon. Need to make a lot more progress with this build first!

Hartigan

Let's go!
I'm super impressed with the shower system! It's a great solution instead of having to pop into a campground or chain gym for a shower while out on an adventure. Do you put a mat or plank down beneath the shower, or just deal with muddy feet?

406expo

Adventurer
A panel and some deep cylces really would open up possibilities. And you don't need to do any speedy progress. You already live out west. I need to get out there yesterday! One day soon. Need to make a lot more progress with this build first!

Well when you do get out west you will be in for adventures with that sexy truck. Be well and have fun sir.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
I'm super impressed with the shower system! It's a great solution instead of having to pop into a campground or chain gym for a shower while out on an adventure. Do you put a mat or plank down beneath the shower, or just deal with muddy feet?

Hey, thanks! I've never had to pop into somewhere for a quick shower and wouldn't want to. As far as the floor goes, we just use the rubber floor mats from the cab right on the ground, works great and is an efficient double use of of an item. Nobody wants muddy feet.

Here is a video of using the shower from inside the sleeping area. And yes, it's grass outside and we are using the floor mats to stand on.

http://youtu.be/U8lY_aLxSyk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman