The design as we go M-101A1 Trailer build

protohyp

Adventurer
Made it home safely and in plenty of time to watch the Kings taking it to the brink of the Finals! Trailer made it back with no hitches (pun intended) and now that we've spent a few nights in it I'll make a few changes which will include reusing one of my airstream steps to make it getting in and out of the trailer easier. I need to come up with a gas spring solution for my door as it's kinda hard to open when you're on the inside but because of the moving and sliding of the top it's hard to locate a good mounting point for the spring. It'll take some thought or I may just split the door in half and have the upper door swing up and the lower door swing to the side. Will have to see. Hope to get the heater and pump completely installed this weekend so the shower can be up and running.

Otherwise it was an awesome weekend of rock climbing and getting drunk with some awesome friends. Hope everyone else enjoyed their trips as well. Saw a few offroad teardrops and this behemoth that made me froth with envy

zu7ezu2u.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

protohyp

Adventurer
Nice work on the tongue. Is there enough room for two when popped up?

Thanks Mark.

Yes. this is just essentially a two person aluminum tent. Its just for me and my girlfriend and we are small people. But my friend just pointed out that since we used to sleep in the truck that we can now sleep 4. Another friend slept in the truck this weekend with the dogs.

I'll probably be swapping the landing gear leg for a electric tongue jack as the front is pretty heavy to get hitched and unhitched. I can lift myself but a little slip and that land gear can crush my foot and I just want to save my back from injury.

protohyp

Adventurer
Great job! Any interior shots?

I'll try to get some later. The interior is the most unfinished part because it is just a aluminum tent and right now since we're in a hurry to use it for our Seattle trip this Saturday not much is done but some carpet and an led strip for lighting. I did get a 4" memory foam that fits perfectly and other than that and sleeping bags an pillows not much to brag about for the interior.

If I build another trailer it will be much more detail oriented. This one was really just to see if I could do as a first go and now I can minimize mistakes and plan out more detail for the next one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

protohyp

Adventurer
Great job! Any interior shots?

azy5evu8.jpg

5uny8ydu.jpg

It's not very clean or refined but it's comfortable as hell. We were up in 35 degree temps overnight over memorial weekend and although I little cold the camper kept us comfortable.

protohyp

Adventurer
ra9edyvu.jpg

japyqyhu.jpg

Ditched the kitchen box and bought a big *** camera case from Craigslist for cheap and spent the morning putting in dividers to separate all the kitchen stuff. This works better because I can just take this box if we decide on a short weekend trip that doesn't require the trailer but as it stands I built this trailer for a reason so I don't see myself NOT taking it anywhere. We will see how it works this coming week on the Seattle trip

protohyp

Adventurer
Finally got a chance to fab and weld a mounting plate for the tongue jack. This is going to save my back from having to hitch and unhitch the monster
6u8uge9e.jpg

protohyp

Adventurer
bezu3unu.jpg

Notice nothing connected to the trailer? Who would've thunk it time for my trusty avalanche to have issues?! 104 deg weather luckily under an overpass just outside redding. Luckily we have friends in redding that are coming to the trailers rescue (which I'm waiting with btw) and the truck is getting towed to sears because they're the only ones that are open now and tomorrow. But what a place to break down....close to really good friends no less.

protohyp

Adventurer
a9u4eny6.jpg

de8atysa.jpg

Thank goodness we arrive on a cooldown of the week. Just missed the 90's and it'll be in the low 70's today. Will obviously want an awning over this if it gets too hot so that may be the next fabrication.

The kitchen layout works awesome. Now time for some bacon eggs and hash

protohyp

Adventurer
So the Los Angeles to Seattle trip was mostly positive except for the truck issues. Looks like I'll be needing a new fuel pump.

My biggest concerns were driving through the dust and have dirt and debris get into camper and winds blowing into the trailer and howling and whistling anywhere the trailer was not completely sealed.

The dust was a non issue. I sealed it pretty well when the trailer is in the down position and because it's two shells closing on each other it made dust intrusion more difficult. So now I can sleep easier knowing there is no dust inside.

Winds were gusting up to about 40 mph through the Oregon outback but again we could barely hear a thing. No whistling or howling so I must have sealed pretty well.

The kitchen box worked perfectly and made cooking and cleaning a breeze.

We have a sort of cheap privy tent for the shower and it was a lot to handle when the wind gusts so I'll either fabricate a stronger one that can attach to the trailer. Otherwise the water heater made for some nice showers after a day of climbing.

Also will make an awning for the cooking area as it's hard to cook when the sun is beating down on you or in the rain as you all know.

Other than that the trip as far as the trailer goes was a success. Next trip will be up to mammoth again for the Fourth of July and then maybe Rifle Colorado for some Labor Day climbing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger