The error of my ways / good mpg 4x4 Motorhome-in-a-phonebooth concept

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Having done the sleeping in the back of a pick-up with a shell routine for ~10 years I find that the only thing that I do not like about this method is carrying the shell around. When by myself everything can stay in the bed if you pack carefully. Don't bring stuff just because there's room to do it.
With my GF along stuff has to go into the cab. I rarely leave something outside. If I have to do so, the first thing left out is the clam-shell lidded food box.

With the Suburban everything stays inside, even if I haven't packed carefully. I just move stuff to the south 40 and presto! Room for the both of us to sleep. It will be interesting adjusting to the FJ60, but I'm looking forwards to it. A FJ60 with some sort of engine swap would be viable, though probably on the low end of your mpg acceptability range.

I like the Eagles. I've always thought that their styling was a bit funky, and that appeals to me. The center diff in the transfercase of those doesn't take to hard core off roading, but I wouldn't expect it to be too taxed by Expo-type use. A 4.0 EFI swap would be high on my priority list.
I don't recall seeing an XJ Cherokee listed. With the rear seat out they can be long enough to sleep in. A friend of mine does it from time to time.

elysium

Observer
If you are looking for Nissan (pathfinder or xterra), Nissan is apparently running quite some deals out there to clear inventory. I imagine this Xterra was a 4x2, but still, $14300 out the door isn't bad for a new rig.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/845337/?start=2740

"I wasn't really looking for a new car, but continued to watch this thread.
Saturday I went to a Dayton, OH Nissan dealership and was able to get a 2008 Nissan Xterra X.
MSRP $22176. Bought it for $12900. OTD at $14300 (incl ttl). Great deal if you are looking for an SUV.
Thanks OP!!!"

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
77blazerchalet said:
Hmm, interesting idea.

seaglecar.jpg

The Nike 6.0 Six-Wheeled Eagle a.k.a. Seagle.

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
ntsqd said:
..don't recall seeing an XJ Cherokee listed. With the rear seat out they can be long enough to sleep in...
Oops. Quick look at the ConsumerGuideAutomotive (my across-the-board comparison web site for many of these), they can get as high as 25 mpg for the 2.5 liter engine, same general dimensions at the others I look at. I'd been thinking they were too brick shaped, thus had bad mileage.

dhackney

Expedition Leader
I think the Eagle is the sleeper (no pun intended) here. Minimal investment and reasonable parts availability. I always pulled for AMC. Couldn't resist the underdog angle.

77blazerchalet said:
Impressive comparison thingy, I'll pop it into my PC (all my internet stuff is done on this iMac) and see how it works.

Sorry, should have included this info. Both models are Microsoft Excel 2003 files. No macros, no plugins, nothing fancy. They will open and run on Mac XL, Open Office, etc.

Mobryan

Adventurer
77blazerchalet said:
From "kcowyo" 's thread - AMC Eagles in post #8 here. Jeep (AMC) drivetrain, right? Hmm, interesting idea here!

Now for the down sides. The 4.0 swap idea is a good one, and a eagle with a blown motor shouldnt' cost more then $5-600. BUT, doing a 6 cylinder swap on a Eagle WILL drive you to drink. The front end parts, though not hard to find if you know where to look, can get expensive. The other costly part would be the transfer case, as ntsqd said, they don't take well to being hammered offroad. Depending on your skill level and fit & finish requirements, I think the easiest solution to all this would be to find a trashed XJ, jerk the 4.0,5speed and T case, and put it in the Eagle with some welding, hammering, and scraps of steel.

25mpg in a XJ is a joke, not happening. I've been around most varieties of Cherokee, and the best reliable milage I can remember is about 17-18. Load it up with your gear, 15-17 would be a good guess.

Matt

As you can see from kc's picture, you can do a SAS on them, but I don't think that would bee needed for your purposes

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Bone stock 86-95 4runners can fit 33's with a hammer on stock rims. 4.88's were a factory option gear in the mid 90's. Factory electric rear lockers are a EASY swap. 20mpg or better no problem if you keep the weight down.

Personally I sort of regret getting the 2 door but I make it work.

eugene

Explorer
You said you didn't want a truck with a shell due to visibility but I've found that with a decent shell/cap on the back you can get better visibility than an SUV. Do one of those nice ler ones that are mostly window or one of the taller than the cab ones. The cap I have on my truck I can't see the top of the back window unless I slide fown in my seat a little so its not blocking any view.
Most caps have an optional opening or removable front window then you get the opening window in the truck so you can crawl through.
An SUV still have the problem of carrying a large item like the Chalet does where a truck you can remove the cap to carry tall things if needed.

West Coast Mags

Adventurer
Just buy my suburban for $3k and put the rest of the money into gas or tailoring to suite your needs. It's fuel injected, gets 14mph, and would be much more livable than a compact SUV, and the price differential buys a lot of gas.
Snowblind039.jpg

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sport_box Whats to argue, even with my trailer, when we SEE or SUSPECT bears in the area, we sleep comfortably INSIDE my Xterra and have for 2 yrs

Bergger said:
I'd have to disagree as far as the Xterra goes. At least with the 2nd generation. I have no experience with the first gen. For a single camper the Xterra is great imo. The thing I really like about it is how easy it is to convert the rear area to a fold flat sleeping platform. The rear seat bottoms remove with the pull of two handles. It can be put back just as easy. No unscrewing anything. Also the front passenger side seat has a fold flat "table" mode as well. It is also a bit wider than the old model. I lay down a 4" self inflating mattress and sleep very comfortably in it. I think you could still have room for a single drawer system with a fridge mounted on top it that. It also has a full time 12v outlet in the back which is nice. Having slept in both the Xterra and a compact pickup with a topper, to me the Xterra has a much roomier feel to it. The pickup was more coffin like and more difficult to get in and out of.

And sometimes, we don't

I'm 6' 4" and sleep in COMFORT inside the 2nd gen X

:camping: :camping: JIMBO

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
Good additional info on XJ Jeeps (probably most of the mileage figures I see on Consumer Guide err on the high side), truck camper shells (mine was not a good example with its smoked bubbles / 2-pane crank open windows combinations on each side), 4runners & Xterras, and the real consideration that a lower priced good condition SUV with lower mileage mpg can offset a better mpg newer one. It runs counterintuitive to my knee-jerk cheapskate ways, but a gas savings of only a few hundred dollars is possible when you are talking about a difference of 8mpg, over the distance between Phoenix and southern Colorado. No offense to Xterras over 'Burbs, of course. Also present in this big decision process is what I'd really enjoy owning and driving, which is a completely subjective choice. No offense to 'Burbs over Xterras in that case.....

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Did I miss the post with your budget in it? OR is that only accessible in a closed session?

Sorry for the link, but I'm on the wrong lap top (no pics).

http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee258/wannahuckmastinky/?action=view&current=Poptop062.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee258/wannahuckmastinky/Poptop080.jpg

Not for sale, just showing what else is out there.

4-5" Overlandvans lift kt,
Rancho 9000s adjustable with indash remote (on board air compressor)
NP233c 4x4 electronic shift 2 spd transfer case,
4:10s with an Eaton Posi,
30.5" ATs
GTRV pop top with sleeper bunk (sleeps 4 inside, comfortably)
Thule awning

MPG can range from 15 to 20 depending.

Suprisingly agile, hauls enough gear for two to go to a wedding 900 miles away, and mountain bike and sea kayak on the way home. Interior build options are endless. Will put Florida Room off the awning, exterior shower, solar panels, a virtual Sportsmobile Mini Me.

Downsides:

It doesn't have bumpers yet because I haven't designed them. (either has ARB, or anyone else for that matter)

Eaton posi is about the only thing available.

No real aftermarket off road parts (implied in number one above)

I'm luvin it. One vehicle, do it all. (then why do I have two other vehicles, because I'm pro-choice I guess, I don't know)

good luck.

Last edited:

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
T.Low said:
Did I miss the post with your budget in it?..Not for sale, just showing what else is out there...I'm luvin it.
My budget is more or less equal to what I can get out of the sale of my Chalet, and my stubborn idea of hauling along a future used Rokon. I could skip the 2x2 motorcycle for a few years if I found the perfect choice that costs more than I expect.

Great van there, T. Low!
Poptop062.jpg
[/IMG] And yes, 4x4 converted Astro vans still aren't ruled out, I bookmarked an Expo thread with your contributions a while back along with the one for astrosafarivans.org.

Speaking of which, a guy I was talking to in Ouray seemed to think unibody Astrovans weren't such a great idea. I have no expertise on how such things behave on too many twisty surfaces, what do you and y'all think? How about other unibody 'real' (as opposed to 'cute-utes') offroad 4x4s like the Pathfinder? Apples n' oranges to the Astro or not?

Last edited:

Atticus_1354

Adventurer
77blazerchalet said:
Speaking of which, a guy I was talking to in Ouray seemed to think unibody Astrovans weren't such a great idea. I have no expertise on how such things behave on too many twisty surfaces, what do you and y'all think? How about other unibody 'real' (as opposed to 'cute-utes') offroad 4x4s like the Pathfinder? Apples n' oranges to the Astro or not?

The jeep Cherokee is a unibody design. You will find mixed opinions on it, but I think, for a light suv/van used for mild offroading and not massively overloaded, it will be fine. Just don't think you can slap 38" tires on it and load it down with thousands of pounds of gear and fly across washboard roads without reinforcing it. If you do like the vehicle, but that worry is with you, just reinforce the unibody. Many people do this with the xj.

eugene

Explorer
the astro isn't completely unibody, the front end has a frame, so its sort of a hybrid between the two. look at some of the sites/forums where people do an engine swap you can see the frame, its pretty much the same as the s10 frame which is why a lot of parts can swap and it was discontinued with the s10.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman