The Escape 19

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I worked on an Escape for the first time this week, a 21’ unit I think. The fridge needed replacement. It took us two hours to figure out how to get the fridge out. I removed the door and its frame and we still need 3/8”. We would have removed a window and gone through but they were smaller. In the end we ended up forcing it through. Scratched the hell out of everything in the process. Took 4 hrs total after putting everything back together and the factory paid me for two hours. Actually I think it was the fridge manufacturer that paid the bill. Those guys probably don’t even know what an Escape is.

Grassland

I worked on an Escape for the first time this week, a 21’ unit I think. The fridge needed replacement. It took us two hours to figure out how to get the fridge out. I removed the door and its frame and we still need 3/8”. We would have removed a window and gone through but they were smaller. In the end we ended up forcing it through. Scratched the hell out of everything in the process. Took 4 hrs total after putting everything back together and the factory paid me for two hours. Actually I think it was the fridge manufacturer that paid the bill. Those guys probably don’t even know what an Escape is.
What fridge, and what size? Do you recall?
What was the failure on the fridge that it wasn't repairable?

Alloy

There's no money in getting flat rate there. Hopfully the dealership kicked some in.

I've removed the entry door/frame to get the fridge out but that alone is 2 hours.

It no wonder stuff take so long to repair. Negotaion on how much and who's paying can take weeks.

Escape has something like a 9-12month waiting list.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
What fridge, and what size? Do you recall?
What was the failure on the fridge that it wasn't repairable?
It was the fairly standard 2 way, propane and 120v.
Normal rv size, bigger than the mini in my Scamp. I don’t remember if it was dometic or norcold. Not sure what was the problem. I went through their checklist of things to check and what not and I couldn’t figure it out. I asked for more direction from the factory and got nothing. That was like two months ago and the approval of the new fridge and ordering it took this long.

Last edited:

Grassland

A couple months away from camping season already. Feels like September was only a couple months ago.
Have to deal with the out of spec axle, otherwise hopefully no more surprises when I pull it out of storage
Get to see how a 2019 WK2 with 3.6 Pentastar and tow package handles the Escape 19 this year.
Thankfully nothing planned for trips farther than 400km from where we live.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
A couple months away from camping season already. Feels like September was only a couple months ago.
Have to deal with the out of spec axle, otherwise hopefully no more surprises when I pull it out of storage
Get to see how a 2019 WK2 with 3.6 Pentastar and tow package handles the Escape 19 this year.
Thankfully nothing planned for trips farther than 400km from where we live.
I think it'll handle it just fine. What does it weigh? Do you use a weight distributing hitch?

We towed a 3,000 lb tent trailer with our Cherokee. It did it. Not happily, but it did it.
I'm sure your Grand would be a much better tow vehicle.
13575775_10209173573163986_1911230519143758850_o.jpg

Grassland

I think it'll handle it just fine. What does it weigh? Do you use a weight distributing hitch?

We towed a 3,000 lb tent trailer with our Cherokee. It did it. Not happily, but it did it.
I'm sure your Grand would be a much better tow vehicle.
View attachment 765958
I did not use a WDH with the Fiddy. I am going to try with a regular riser hitch and see how it behaves in a short drive first.
Not wanting to buy and lug around a WDH was one of the reasons we were shooting for smaller trailers.
I'm estimating the weight is near 4900# loaded up with full fresh tank, as when it was delivered it had full black and grey tanks from the pressure test, and 5 gallons of water in the fresh tank, and the BOL said 4200#. Since then we loaded easily 600# into it.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I did not use a WDH with the Fiddy. I am going to try with a regular riser hitch and see how it behaves in a short drive first.
Not wanting to buy and lug around a WDH was one of the reasons we were shooting for smaller trailers.
I'm estimating the weight is near 4900# loaded up with full fresh tank, as when it was delivered it had full black and grey tanks from the pressure test, and 5 gallons of water in the fresh tank, and the BOL said 4200#. Since then we loaded easily 600# into it.
Personally, I would use a WDH in that scenario. That's about what our trailer weighs now and I use a WDH towing it with my truck.

mekcanix

Camper
I think my camper is a tad lighter than yours and it was night and day when i got a wdh from Princess Auto. I can't imagine towing with out it, it so smoothed out the drive and... I am sure when I got caught in the cross wind outside of Portage La Prairie it kept the trailer from flipping on its side

Grassland

I think my camper is a tad lighter than yours and it was night and day when i got a wdh from Princess Auto. I can't imagine towing with out it, it so smoothed out the drive and... I am sure when I got caught in the cross wind outside of Portage La Prairie it kept the trailer from flipping on its side
It's always fun watching the fuel economy dive around there when you hit the wind.

Interesting experiences gentlemen. With the Fiddy I never felt the unsettled with the Escape, even in strong cross winds and head winds.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
It's always fun watching the fuel economy dive around there when you hit the wind.

Interesting experiences gentlemen. With the Fiddy I never felt the unsettled with the Escape, even in strong cross winds and head winds.
Try it and see. But thinking the Grand has a shorter wheelbase and I'm guessing is lighter than the F150, I think you may benefit from a WDH. Does the Grand have air suspension?

Grassland

It is a bit lighter than the Fiddy was and yeah much shorter wheelbase. It has the Nivomat self leveling rear shocks of the tow package. No idea how they work.
Wouldn't touch air ride in our climate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12