The evolution of L200 NB

nickburt

Observer
2004 Mits L200 Warrior.

Bought at 6 months old in Feb '05 as a family tow car and for a bit of green laning.

This was how it looked in Mar '05, just two weeks after we bought it.

Img_0104a.jpg

Over the years it's been somewhat modified. I dread to thnk what it's cost, both in mods and adding kit as well as rebuilds of one sort or another.

There's still mods going on, but this is it on a trip last June:

IMG_3545.JPG

For now, here's a link to a photo album of some of it's life. The phot album is a work in progress and (hopefully) will be added into a web site about the truck (if I ever get the time).

nickburt

Observer
Just found a picture of it in 2010 that I'd forgotten about. There's a green lane called Walna Scar Road in the UK's Lake District that is considered by many as one of the best tracks in the country, climbing over a fantastically scenicmountain pass.
The track was closed as a vehicular right of way for many years, but an appeal resulted in it being re-opened in 2010. Unfortunately, the appeal was over turned later the same year and the track is now permanently closed to vehicles.
During the few months it was open in 2010, a couple of us from the L200 Owners Club took the oportunity to drive it one summer evening. We were not disapointed by the views.
Unfortunately, this is the only picture I have (at the moment) of that trip, but it's a great shot of the truck in what's known as the "Scar Gate" just before the summit.

img_8718.jpg

nickburt

Observer
Been doing some work on it over the holiday - total front suspension and steering rebuild - all new bushes, ball joints, steering box etc...

Drivers side with new steering box fitted
Off_side_sus_steer_03.JPG

Passenger side with all stripped out
Near_side_sus_steer_02.JPG

Pile of bits, some new, some existing to be cleaned up
suspension_steering_parts.JPG

Think these poly bushes (SuperPro) were ready for swap out (120,000 miles of hard use) - yet little movement could be found before strip out.
Wishbone_poly_bushes.JPG

Wishbones etc... cleaned & painted up ready for refit
arm_etc_painted.JPG

nickburt

Observer
New (to me) rear bumper being fitted up - a few mods to do to it.
Swing away locking handles don't work with an adjustable height slider fitted, so need reversing.
Rear number plate panel to be removed to make way for a rear winch tucked in behind the bumper.

ARB_rear_bumper_02.JPG

Also got hold of another roof tent just before Christmas, so it's now going to be a 2 bedroom L200

IMG_4230.JPG

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
That's a very smart looking L200; we here in the States are envious! :drool:

It's very cool to see its evolution from a mild greenlaner to a serious expedition truck. Well done! :luxhello:

SmugMug is indeed amazing. Did you know that it's owned by the same fellow who created Adventure Rider?

nickburt

Observer
Thanks for the comments. It's been a work in progress and change for 8 or so years now.
Not sure what to do next, except go on enjoying the use of it.

nickburt

Observer
Front end rebuild still ongoing (don't seem to get as much time per day as I'd like !!!

Quick tot up, (rounded up/down to nearest £1) - think I've remembered everything :eek:

SuperPro bushes (kit)TBR (discounted - should have cost - £200) £160
Bottom ball joints (pr)Mitzybitz£28
Top ball joints (pr)Mitzybitz£26
Wheel brgs (pr)Milners£24
Wheel brg seal (pr)Mits£32
Upright knuckle seal (pr)Mits£32
Upright needle roller brg (pr)Milners£24
Lower wishbone rear bush bolt (pr)Mits£20
Steering Box (recon)L200 Owners Club£250
Pitman arm for steering boxMilners£18
Idler armMilners£53
Track rod end kit (pr)Milners£64
Black Diamond drilled & grooved discs (pr)Crest Motorsport£147
EBC Greenstuff pads (set)RiceRocketUK£74
Bump stops, upper wishbone (2pr)Milners£24
Front drive shafts (pr)Milners£293
Consumables (grease, brake cleaner etc...)£15
Grand total£1284

Not yet accounted for:
2No BFG ATs (275/70x16) - approx £180 each
Tracking and camber checks

JamesW

Adventurer
Thats a really nice L200 I must say. Have you looked into the GKN overdrives you can get to make up for them being very low geared for cruising,it might save you a lot of money if you're doing big milage of just cruising.

The back bumper is mad too,where did you get that?

nickburt

Observer
Thats a really nice L200 I must say. Have you looked into the GKN overdrives you can get to make up for them being very low geared for cruising,it might save you a lot of money if you're doing big milage of just cruising.

The back bumper is mad too,where did you get that?

Thanks for the comments.
I have a GKN overdrive, but it's in need of a refurb, so not fitted at the moment. It whines a bit and keeps breaking the speedo cable extension - although there is a company who is supposed to be make a modified version - stilll waiting though !!
The GKN is great for motorway work, it drops the revs from 3000 to just over 2000 at 70 mph.
GKN stopped making the L200 version of the overdrive several years ago. Subsequently, all their stock was taken over by another company, who only seem interested in selling new ones and not doing refurbs of old ones!

The back bumper was picked up secondhand off another club member. It's an ARB - quite a rare version though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears