The Fake Jeep Not a Real Cruiser Thread

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I slacked on getting pics up quickly. I just finished a blog on the trip, turned out to be pretty epic. Here's the link..

http://kristiansaile.wordpress.com/2013/09/28/a-tale-of-4-passes-marble-to-alma-co/

The rig did great. The route on this trip was definately more rugged and tested the truck to a greater degree. Again we faced challenging weather and very wet, slick conditions. Outside of wishing I had more engine braking in low 1 and still waiting on a suspension upgrade, the FJC did great. Amazing in fact on how easy it managed a few tough spots along the way. Here are some teaser pics, the rest are in the blog...

As of this point, the FJ Cruiser has really exceeded my expectations. Outside of an annoying squeak in the front bumper from the winch mounting point, the rig is drum tight, squeak and rattle free. Its capabilities offroad with stock suspension can handle obstacles with aplomb that I figured would be an issue from lack of articulation. Once I deal with the suspension and the roof basket, this thing will be getting pretty close to being dialed in for us.

nixsis123

This question may have been answered but, are you running 2 bumpers a winch a RTT and 285/70/17's on stock suspension?

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Wow those are some gorgeous pictures. I just scrolled quickly through your blog. Sweet FJ and nice work. I hope to some day do an adventure of that magnitude.

skrillah

Adventurer
Kristian,

Really enjoying your write up on the FJC! Great pics and stories, keep them coming. I am surprised to learn its still in stock configuration on the suspension. I guess I just assumed with the bumpers and all that it was upgraded. Interested in the OME setup you go with and your impressions. Hurry up already and get it done so I can figure out the plan for mine!!:smiley_drive:

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Thanks guys! Regarding the suspension questions, yes, totally stock still. With the heavy Warn bumpers front and rear, the Warn Powerplant with steel line still, a RTT and loaded for all of the stuff we need for 2 adults, and infant, and a dog yes, the suspension is definitely taxed. When loaded for these trips it sits low in the back. The body movement is fairly well controlled laterally but fore aft there is alot of nose dive under braking. With the 33's, I only get rubbing when descending and turning sharply on rough terrain. I was suprised that I wasn't getting more rubbing than that. If one thing is evident from this experiment so far is that the stock spring rates are pretty inadequate for overland travel. Our plan is to install OME heavy front and rear springs and the hope is that it returns it back to more of a stock handling, give us some additional clearance, and better progressive spring rates for offroad travel.

As stated a bit earlier, my goal is to keep everything as simple as possible. I want to keep the vehicle as stock as possible. This has always been my motto with vehicles for this kind of travel. To me, the hallmark of a great overland rig is that it needs little to work well. Toyota's main draw to me is reliability and I have always been an OEM go to guy. I am going to keep this thing as clean and unfarkled as possible. So, no snorkel, no auxilary lights (I already removed the PIA lights), no cb/HAM, no gps (I am swearing it off and going back to maps, GPS takes alot of the fun away for me), no tactical this or that, no extra "expedition" crap hanging off the truck. I probably will conceded and do a fridge just for the sake of having to store baby's milk and more recently been enjoying cheffing it up, not to mention Julie is a beer lover (me not so much) so I have been slowly transitioning from preparing food like a backpacker to more of a glamper now ;-)

As far as further upgrades are concerned next will be suspension, likely in the spring, then a Baja Rack utility basket, followed by synthetic winch line, and finally for the short term, probably some additional under body protection since I have already caused some damage to the stock skid plates. This is my first real IFS offroad platform so I am quickly gaining an appreciation for the value of extra protection in the front.

We are headed out tomorrow AM for a trip through Lockhart Basin and a little rest and relaxation in the desert. We are running it north to south so it should be a good test of what a stock FJC can do. My schedule for work gets crazy busy from not will the spring so I likely won't be doing the suspension till the spring. After that point we have alot of travel planned so we should really be putting the vehicle to the test with some longer duration trips.

I will post up some pics from the outing when I get back. No real updates to the vehicle, still just using and enjoying it for the meantime.

nixsis123

Awesome write up and review. I'm a big fan of your rig. So would you say I would be ok with 285/70/17 on my stock rig? I also plan on an ome kit later down the road and don't want to buy another set if tires. Also would you recommend the Baja drop in basket or new rack all together for RTT?

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Awesome write up and review. I'm a big fan of your rig. So would you say I would be ok with 285/70/17 on my stock rig? I also plan on an ome kit later down the road and don't want to buy another set if tires. Also would you recommend the Baja drop in basket or new rack all together for RTT?

Thanks. I read up a bunch on what tires would fit prior to purchasing these Duratracs, there seemed to be mixed perceptions of what worked and didn't work without rubbing. I decided to go for it and I definitely get some rubbing in the front in certain situations. Granted I am sporting alot of weight over the front with that bumper and winch. Honestly I figured it would have rubbed more.

I am not a fan of the stock rack at all. It sits very high so mounting an RTT on it like I have right now has the tent sitting up high raising the COG and catching more wind on the highway. Also, for hauling other stuff on it, the stock crossbars are about useless for holding anything important. My buddy broke one of his stock cross bars with just his whitewater kayak. Not sure how much more utility that drop in adds, haven't seen one up close but if you are going with a RTT I would go to a lower profile rack for sure.

brushogger

Explorer
You will love the fridge. It allows for a much better diet when traveling- and nothing gets water logged from melted ice! We also travel with a heavy load. The iron man constant load springs and foam cell shocks solved our issues. It's much more stable now and still rides great. I installed an ARB roof rack and really like it. I got a smokin deal on a used one. It's very heavy though. If I was buying a new one, I'd spring for an aluminum one. I will probably end up doing that before its all said and done. Really enjoying the pics !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

nixsis123

Thanks. I read up a bunch on what tires would fit prior to purchasing these Duratracs, there seemed to be mixed perceptions of what worked and didn't work without rubbing. I decided to go for it and I definitely get some rubbing in the front in certain situations. Granted I am sporting alot of weight over the front with that bumper and winch. Honestly I figured it would have rubbed more.

I am not a fan of the stock rack at all. It sits very high so mounting an RTT on it like I have right now has the tent sitting up high raising the COG and catching more wind on the highway. Also, for hauling other stuff on it, the stock crossbars are about useless for holding anything important. My buddy broke one of his stock cross bars with just his whitewater kayak. Not sure how much more utility that drop in adds, haven't seen one up close but if you are going with a RTT I would go to a lower profile rack for sure.

Awesome thanks for the help!!

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I have a rear facing car seat in the middle of the back seat and find it a major PITA to get the kid in and out. My only complaint about my FJC. Love the pics!

nixsis123

I also have a rear facing seat. I don't think it's horrible. I will agree I wish the from seat slide forward when pulling the back rest release.

loup407

Adventurer
Congrats on your new truck. I have 120,000 miles on mile, with lots of those miles towing our A/T Horizon. Although not a popular truck here, I love it, and and it got stolen, I'd replace it with another. I've traveled with 80's and 100's; and even pulling the trailer, I get better mileage. The only downside for some would be cargo capacity, but for the two of us, it works fine. I hope you enjoy your FJC as much as I've enjoyed mine.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I have our car seat mounted behind the driver's seat so I have the option of folding down the larger portion of the rear seats. For our trips I leave the seats upright and stow all of our gear behind them and give the dog the wide portion of the rear seat to lounge. I don't find it terribly hard to get the seat in and out from that position but could definately understand it being tough if it were in the middle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman