The Fake Jeep Not a Real Cruiser Thread

skrillah

Adventurer
What a great thread, keep it all coming! I too have a 7-8month old boy, and my FJ was purchased basically because of the killer deal I got, couldn't pass it up. Originally, looking for a 100 series for the space, I've constantly had the idea stuck in my head that the FJ isn't big enough. Haha. No doubt, there are pros and cons to both, but you are proving me wrong on many levels with regards to space, family hauling, and the potential that is the FJ.

On a side note, you mentioned back in a January post about the crappy VSC/TRAC system and the lacking ability (in the early years) to be able to turn that off. I too have my gripes with this system and found this thread, specifically post #148 (http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...n-aids/8018-install-vsc-cancel-switch-15.html) helpful. I haven't done it yet, but have plans to further investigate it and possibly do it. I'm usually not one to mess with things like this as remaining stock as possible is a good thing, but this looks fairly straightforward and reversible if need be.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
What a great thread, keep it all coming! I too have a 7-8month old boy, and my FJ was purchased basically because of the killer deal I got, couldn't pass it up. Originally, looking for a 100 series for the space, I've constantly had the idea stuck in my head that the FJ isn't big enough. Haha. No doubt, there are pros and cons to both, but you are proving me wrong on many levels with regards to space, family hauling, and the potential that is the FJ.

On a side note, you mentioned back in a January post about the crappy VSC/TRAC system and the lacking ability (in the early years) to be able to turn that off. I too have my gripes with this system and found this thread, specifically post #148 (http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...n-aids/8018-install-vsc-cancel-switch-15.html) helpful. I haven't done it yet, but have plans to further investigate it and possibly do it. I'm usually not one to mess with things like this as remaining stock as possible is a good thing, but this looks fairly straightforward and reversible if need be.

Yeah, I wouldn't say the FJC is spacious, but with some careful planning and packing it works. I am anti storage drawers since I want everything to be completely modular and removable. That might make it a bit more challenging for us to pack efficiently but trying to use the truck for so many types of activity there is no way to make it work with semi permanent storage setup or even a fridge really. I am still holding off on the fridge for awhile. I would rather eat like a backpacker on a long trip then to add the complexity of a fridge and worrying about charging system upgrades. I might eat my words though. I have yet to use this thing for more than a 4 night trip.

Thanks for the link on the VSC hack. I am interested in the ATrac hack too since early FJC's like mine don't have the ability to run Atrac with the rear locker engaged.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Lol...I think I'll follow the Kristian plan in my 50s...minus the whole new wife and kid part. My wife is pretty awesome as is.

Ha ha, man I tell you, the past 6-7 years have been pretty crazy. I have no shortage of really wild stories from it.... but I like where my life is now and having a bit more normalcy in my life. haha There was one year there where I was away from home traveling for over 300 days in a 12 month period. I am not going to top that unless it involves my fam and I living out of a rig doing a big trip together.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Figured I would catch this thread up a bit. A lot of changes since my last post. My wife and I quit our jobs and moved from Colorado back to our place in the UP of Michigan. We are really stoked to slow the pace of life down a bit and have a ton more family time together and be have more time for our passions.

We did a week long trip with Kruz, the dog and our bikes through Southern Utah back in mid April...

The whole story
http://kristiansaile.wordpress.com/2014/04/30/into-the-desert-our-spring-escape-from-winter/#more-153

The FJ performed flawlessly and made for a drama-free fun family trip.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Mid May we moved back to the UP with a loaded Uhaul trailer in tow. We were excited to be back in the UP and were planning on living a semi nomadic lifestyle with Julie being an RN and travel nursing while we lived in different places for 3 months at a time. To make this less stressful and easier for a family of three and a dog we picked up a new camper that we would use to live in with the plan of having the FJ and a small dualsport bike as our transportation and modes for doing adventures from wherever we would be living. The FJ as a tow rig? Hmmmm

So we ended up a with a 2014 Freedom Express 230BH. Its a 23 foot camper with aluminum frame construction, composite floors and walls with a bedroom with a queen size bed, a 6 person seatable dinette, full kitchen, fridge freezer, full bathroom with a tub, and a set of bunkbeds. We figured it would be big enough to live in with our family footprint yet still mobile and small enough to tow with the FJ.

Literally a couple of days after we bought it and were planning our escape to Alaska or Nor Cal, an OR position opened up at the hospital 3 blocks from our place in Marquette. So, Jules ends up scoring a good job locally and now we have a really nice home on wheels that we ended up using this summer extensively to go on weekend mountain bike trips up in Copper Harbor and for some outings elsewhere in the UP. Its definately not camping when you have every convenience of home but it gave us some opportunities to give it a good shakedown and learn about RV's. We are planning on doing some big trips with it in the future and using as a basecamp while we spend some time exploring some areas. Here are some more pics...

Kruz digs having a tub to get his splishy splashy time in.

All the fixings of home. Amazing having a place to relax in horrible weather and not feel like you are stepping all over each other. While it is NOT camping, it is a really cool way to basecamp and we are excited to get out and travel a bit with the setup.

Everyone seems to say the same thing to us, that FJ can tow a camper that big? I was a bit skeptical but I can give a resounding yes. I am frankly shocked how well the FJ tows for its size. The trailer has a dry weight of 4,200lbs (the benefit of being an ultralight and not using wood frame construction) and with a full tank of water and our gear onboard we are still well under the FJC's tow rating of 5,000lbs. Tongue weight is about 400lbs and we have a weight distribution setup that actually puts less weight on the back of the FJC than it has when we have it packed for a typical overland trip. While our plan is to put a receiver on the back bumper of the trailer so we can haul bikes back there, for the time being we just put them in the back of the FJC. Works great and keeps them out of the weather. I was thinking of devising a system to keep the bikes IN the trailer for long trips but I think that would make it difficult for pulling off and cooking, eating, sleeping in the camper when not technically camping.

I have been getting between 8-10mpg when pulling the camper so combined with the small tank capacity on the FJC, the downfall is really the range. That said though, the transmission is fantastic. It adapts well and prevents gear hunting. I tend to just stick it in 4th but I found that it manages pretty well just in drive. My only issue towing I have found has been in heavy crosswinds I can get some sway but that was in the case of a good 30mph+crosswind I felt that. We installed a trailer brake controller in the FJ and fast braking is drama free. Power wise we have plenty. I have no problem holding the speed limit or actually 5 over as I have been driving with it. I have to say I really don't feel it tows any worse than my old 2000 Tundra Access Cab with the 4.7. So again, it was a pleasant surprise. Sway bars may be something to consider for a long cross continent tow but for everything we have done so far its been fine.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
It hasn't all been RV'ing this summer though, we also logged in a nice 1 week traverse across the UP west to east which is something I have been wanting to do for awhile. Just shy of 900 miles (yeah, gives a bit of scale to the size of the upper peninsula) we encountered just about every weather condition and endured this summer's incredibly bad bugs. We did this back in July and enjoyed a mix of camping, hiking, mountain biking, beach combing, and general play. Here are a few teaser shots....

Yes we dealt with some heavy rains and swollen creek crossings

The FJC has just taken what we have given it with no complaints so far and keeps proving itself as a very versatile vehicle that is comfortable to spend time, competent off the pavement, and never misses a beat. Its really cool to have a vehicle that you don't have to worry about getting stranded in, or spending the following weekend tearing into to keep it tip top. It really allows you to just enjoy the experience of the trip and focus on fun stuff.

ripper1600

Adventure Seeker
I like the new updates. I was talking to the misses about doing something similar with a Trailer. Also great trip it looks like across the UP I definitely would like to make a trip like that.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Wow, that's a big trailer to pull with a 4.0! We've been looking to upgrade our teardrop to something we can stand up in, my current favorite is the Casita/Scamp/Burro type of fiberglass "egg" trailer, mostly because of weight concerns. I'm trying to stay under 2,000lbs.
Do you have an external tranny cooler and/or a trans temp gauge? I would recommend both. The SGII will show transmission temps. FWIW my transmission hit 260 climbing out of Death Valley in July pulling the trailer.
I don't even want to THINK about what it would have been pulling over two tons!

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
The auto tranny FJC's have auxillary oil cooling routed through the radiator. I assume thats the same with the 4Runners? I don't have a tranny temp gauge but thats probably a good idea before doing any big trips. Our longest outings with the trailer so far have been a couple of 300 mile trips. The truck and tranny didn't seem to be working too hard. Cruising 60 I had a pretty light foot on the throttle unless I was going into a good headwind. I had no gear hunting as it did an admirable job of adapting to the load and adjusting shift points. Like I mentioned, I did hold it in 4th since I feared putting it in drive would have it jumping from 4th to 5th alot. With that said though, towing a stuffed Uhual trailer back from CO to MI I did try using D and found that the transmission was pretty smart about selecting a gear that it would be able to hold.

I guess we will see though and will be the Guinea Pig. I am within the towing allowance for the vehicle but couldn't find much talk of people towing campers at all on the inner webs. I was thinking the wheelbase would be the biggest liability for towing but I was suprised it is as stable as it is. I do adjust my tire pressures though which is key. The first day towing the camper home from the dealer I had the normal 35psi I run for daily driving in them. I was getting trailer say pretty noticeably. When we took the camper to Grand Marais for its first outing I put 60psi in all 4 tires and that transformed things. The road from Munising to Grand Marais is super windy and the truck and trailer handled great. Gave me alot of confidence. Since then on the trips to Copper Harbor for mountain biking we had pulled through some horrendous downpours with standing water on the roads, and high winds. I feel pretty confident in all aspects of the pulling and handling of the trailer now. I will continue to report though as we travel more with it. We are trying to get down to visit family in northern lower Michigan in October so that will be the biggest mileage yet with the camper.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Another shot of the camper when we brought it home.

We have been removing the graphics from the camper since we got it to make it a bit more stealth and to avoid a bit of the RV cheeziness. Other plans for the camper are going to be a solar charging setup up along with an additional 1-2 batteries as well as a rear bumper receiver so we can haul mountain bikes or even a motorcycle off back. We have been looking for a light dual sport, something like a Super Sherpa. I should really start a thread on the camper.

bjowett

Adventurer
IMO/IME, get an additional oil to air cooler for the transmission, an oil cooler for the engine would be a good idea, too. At minimum, please check the trans fluid condition (which is not easy).

STREGA

Explorer
I towed a 18' Shadow Cruiser tandem axle that was close to weight of your trailer and the FJC towed it fine. On the hills it did ok but definitely not going to set any speed records, still faster than a VW bus though. There is a tranny temp idiot light on FJ's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998